TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am looking on getting a new tail pipe for the bike, any suggestions? Would like to get a little more power out of her

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rule of thumb ~~ stock is best... That being stated , I put a Sparky arrestor on my tail (rather than the stock arrestor,) AND it IS better. Crisper and just a bit louder,, Perfect for letting traffic know you are coming,I screwed it right in the stock tail pipe and the stock arrestor can be put back on ifn you want to replace the whole affair. You can fine Sparky,s on ebat usually pretty darn cheap...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Question is why do you want a new exhaust? If it's for more power that aint gonna happen as stated. You''need a different bike or a lot of money to throw at performance cams or big bore kits. You'll only lessen the performance of the bike changing the exhaust, many users will tell you the stock exhaust is the best performer. Take the baffle out if you want it to sound badass, there's a couple hundred $ saved. Just know that even that will affect performance as well. I pop the baffle out when riding around town to be sure I'm noticed in traffic, I personally think the sound of the bike with the stock exhaust minus the spark arrestor is BOSS as it can sound. I've listened to sound bites and watched videos of other exhaust options on TW's and don't think they compare.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there something I can put on the back of the tail pipe once i take the baffle off to give it a clean look?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If all you want is noise there are safer ways to go about it than removing the baffle:

Remove the baffle. Get a LONG drill bit and drill a 1/4" hole though the center of the nosecone. Put the baffle back in.

You'll have all the racket you're looking for and it will take 6 months to destroy your motor rather than just a week.

Seriously, if you're not willing or able to rejet for the effects which mofifying the exhaust or adding an aftermarket exhaust will have on your engine you should rethink doing so.

I don't think there's a jet big enough to compensate for an open pipe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If all you want is noise there are safer ways to go about it than removing the baffle:

Remove the baffle. Get a LONG drill bit and drill a 1/4" hole though the center of the nosecone. Put the baffle back in.

You'll have all the racket you're looking for and it will take 6 months to destroy your motor rather than just a week.

Seriously, if you're not willing or able to rejet for the effects which mofifying the exhaust or adding an aftermarket exhaust will have on your engine you should rethink doing so.

I don't think there's a jet big enough to compensate for an open pipe.

Destroy the motor from running without the baffle? Seriously?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Seriously.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It's probably not helpful to tell you not to do it without explaining why.

When you open up the exhaust you lean out the air/fuel mixture. Leaning out the air/fuel mixture creates intense heat. Intense heat fries things like valves, pistons and $$tuff. At the minimum it shortens engine life considerably.

If you've ever used an oxy/cetylene torch this is a bit easier to explain. You can use an acetylene torch to harmlessly heat up a cup of coffee if the flame is rich. You can also use it to weld metals together or to cut through 1" steel plate just by leaning out the mixture.

Your engine works the same way except instead of acetylene the fuel is gasoline and the oxygen is provided in the air entering your engine. Too much oxygen and not enough fuel turns your cylinder head into a cutting torch.

This is an extreme example of what can happen. Running lean can have varying effects in between, but it always results in excess heat. Up to a point you can cool things back down through jetting (adding more fuel for given unit of oxygen). Running without a baffle is likely beyond that point.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's probably not helpful to tell you not to do it without explaining why.

When you open up the exhaust you lean out the air/fuel mixture. Leaning out the air/fuel mixture creates intense heat. Intense heat fries things like valves, pistons and $$tuff.

If you've ever used an oxy/cetylene torch this is a bit easier to explain. You can use an acetylene torch to heat up your coffee cup if the flame is rich. You can also use it to weld metals together or to cut through 1" steel plate just by leaning out the mixture.

Your engine works the same way except instead of acetylene the fuel is gasoline and the oxygenis provided in the air entering your engine.

This is an extreme example of what can happen. Running lean can have varying effects in between, but it always results in excess heat. Up to a point you can cool things back down through jetting (adding more fuel for given unit of oxygen). Running without a baffle is likely beyond that point.

?

I don't know with all that decreased resistance should be able to spin that motor to higher rpms.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I actually knew most all of that, I was running a 130 main (rich for my area normally) with three shims and 3 out on the pilot, never ran too hot as far as I could tell and no lean symptoms present. Bike seemed to love it. I know you know what you're talking about though and if you say there's no compensating for that baffle removal I believe you.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Ok. I didn't give you enough credit. I got the impression that you were going to gut the pipe and keep stock jetting.

I'm willing to be wrong. The side windows in the nosecone are large enough that their area comes fairly close to equalling an open pipe Pop your plug, check the color and we'll all learn a thing or two.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok. I didn't give you enough credit. I got the impression that you were going to gut the pipe and keep stock jetting.

I'm willing to be wrong. The side windows in the nosecone are large enough that their area comes fairly close to equalling an open pipe Pop your plug, check the color and we'll all learn a thing or two.

Yeah my bike was ridiculously lean from the factory, got hotter than blue hell, surged all the time and required full choke start ups even in the middle of the summer. Thank god for this forum and it's knowledgeable members, I'd have never known to dial in the carb and it'd still ride like a thick pile. I never could read a plug in this bike, except when it was stock and CLEARLY reading lean. So for the original poster then is it safe to run without the baffle then if you dial the carb in properly for it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so if I take off the baffle, i will ruin my bike? anyone ride around with out the baffle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So are we sure that removing the baffle will "destroy" your engine? My 06 just hit 7,600 miles ad I've had mine out for about the last 6,000. I've noticed no ill affects.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents... What Lizrdbrth is trying to say is "you cannot change the exhaust without changing the intake"

If you don't change the jetting to match the increased flow of air, it will harm your engine. I don't have direct experience with that happening on my TW, but I do have an O2 sensor in my exhaust right now with a stock carb setup and stock exhaust setup. It is already dangerously lean throughout the entire midrange of the throttle position from the factory. If I was to open up my exhaust without changing my jetting I'm sure it would burn a hole in the piston just like Lizrdbrth has shown.

Also, checking the spark plugs to see the mixture is a lost cause these days. The gasoline we get today has so many additives to make sure that it burns cleanly that you can no longer tell the mixture by the color of the plugs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts