TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to get back on a little bike after riding around on my CBR 650f for a year. Got a great deal on this very clean 2013, going to do a lot of upgrades to it in the coming months. The previous owner put chrome around the bike and also changed the gearing to 15/42 (Good for highway?). Ill be posting my progress on here. Only 1400 miles!

temporary.jpg temporary.jpg temporary.jpg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice bike welcome.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
With the 15/42 UP or DOWN Grade if you plan to take it off the road and do any trail riding at all I think your first purchase should be a new clutch basket and discs. The TW does a fine job with the stock 14/50 gearing for most 60/40 road/dirt riders and you sure can make it better for one or the other but you can't get much better for both. 15/47 with road tires is about as far as I would ever go for mostly highway running.

GaryL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I do have the stock sprockets, the lady I purchased it from (well her father, who was 82 driving it!) did the gearing change. I took it on the road and threw some wet fields/trails and it was great on the road, but took ALOT of clutch work on the trails. Will have to do some more riding until I change it up, but surely when I go up to Little Saint Germain WI this summer I will gear it for the trails up there.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I almost bit earlier on the gearing. There are some good gearing threads. I love, love , love the 55t rear for off road. It just puts the motor on a good power band in all the gears. Even on road it will pull up hill in 5th from 35-60, but it is buzzing at 60. It is way happier at 40-45. We do mostly off road and stay on less travelled byways. There are dual sproket threads.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ah, the gearing question. It's all rather subjective and heavily dependent on your primary driving style. The thing is, you don't have to make a massive change to get a noticeable shift in performance.

My bike started life with a 14/45 setup. This combination was pretty near perfect for street work. It was responsive, smooth, and could reliably cruise at 60-65mph, though there wasn't much left to spare at that speed. Hills weren't an issue unless they were long - then a downshift to 4th was no big deal. This sprocket combination also worked remarkably well with Shinko SR428 tires when I went on the jeep trails and fire roads with the group last year. The only surface I was uncomfortable riding was the pea gravel. Those tires did NOT like that surface at all. But it climbed well, handled rocks great, went through the creeks without much fuss, and overall, I really like this particular gearing.

Now that I have a different set of wheels with dirt tires, I have a 14/50 setup. Riding on street, I do not like the sound of the higher RPMs when I get up to my normal speeds. Where 45-50mph seemed to be the sweet spot, it's now 30-35mph; and while 65mph was no problem before, 55mph is now the tops. The bike just doesn't feel right on regular streets with the gearing much shorter. Of course, it will probably be "perfect" in slow crawling over dirt. But since this bike is still a daily commuter, depending on how well it rides over the weekend, I have a feeling I will revert back to the 14/45 gearing even on the dirt tires when I get home.

Either that or I'll attempt the dual sprocket setup with both a 45 and 50 with a chain tensioner to make up the slack. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts