TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to thank the members here for the solid advice and encourage others who have not yet replaced their front tire.

After 800 miles on my '14 TUU, I wised up and put on a Shinko SR244 5.1. It easily allows me to ride 5+mph faster in gravel, not to mention dirt road "U"-turns without slipping. Getting out of trail ruts is a breeze now (relative to what it was anyway). I am not saying that another tire (i.e. Kenda K270) would not be as good or better, just that I am very happy with the Shinko and it feels like a new ride. Only wish I had had put this on sooner.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I gather most TDubbers go with the 5.10. Anybody recommend the 4.60 and why ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gather most TDubbers go with the 5.10. Anybody recommend the 4.60 and why ?
Others may have more sophisticated input. My rationale for the 5.10 is that it was the same width as the stock Bridgestone (130mm = 5.1 inches). I want as much traction as possible, I saw no reason to go with a thinner tire. The knobbies stick out more than 5.1, but it works perfectly fine on my stock bike. BTW, I failed to mention that the Shinko compound of the tire is very soft (i.e. nice ride on road too).

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have 4.60 and all I can say is it handles fine on and off road. I have yet to see a statistical traction, control, endurance test of the two. I think you can count on either. Oh, and Explorer, I agree that it seems a smoother ride and also to dampen handle vibration, particularly at over 50mph.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 4.60 and all I can say is it handles fine on and off road. I have yet to see a statistical traction, control, endurance test of the two. I think you can count on either. Oh, and Explorer, I agree that it seems a smoother ride and also to dampen handle vibration, particularly at over 50mph.
Dogonit is right. This afternoon I rode a rough paved road on my way to some trails/old mining roads between 45 & 55 mph. I looked in my side mirrors and I COULD SEE what was behind me. It used to be a blurr with the Bridgestone. I feel so much more comfortable riding loose rock now. I know I had some dumps due to that stock tire.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks, Guys. I think I'll order up a 5.1.

Will

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
When I got my SR244 a few years back, talk of this tire was relatively new and I happened to see one listed on the local craigslist for $20. It was a 5.10, but had it been the 4.60 I'd probably have bought that too. In short, size did not matter :D. Other than the stock tire I have nothing to compare with the 5.10 SR244. This winter I am gonna buy a SR241 to see how it will work for me and where I ride.

Someone did mention that the 5.10 they got for their TW, barely fit with the stock fender. Close tolerance I suppose. I didn't notice this for myself, but eventually installed a high fender because I liked the look. Never had a problem with fender clearance. Just so you are aware!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got the 244 4.60 on the front and a new Bridgestone on the rear. Much better than the 25 yr old originals (less than 3000 miles on them) in all respects especially noise and vibration..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Will,
I have the 5.10 on both of my TW's. The one you took a spin on when we did your jet and shim mod had the 244 5.10 on it when you rode it. Its really good both on road and off compared to the stock bridgestone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I got my SR244 a few years back, talk of this tire was relatively new and I happened to see one listed on the local craigslist for $20. It was a 5.10, but had it been the 4.60 I'd probably have bought that too. In short, size did not matter :D. Other than the stock tire I have nothing to compare with the 5.10 SR244. This winter I am gonna buy a SR241 to see how it will work for me and where I ride.

Someone did mention that the 5.10 they got for their TW, barely fit with the stock fender. Close tolerance I suppose. I didn't notice this for myself, but eventually installed a high fender because I liked the look. Never had a problem with fender clearance. Just so you are aware!
I have the stock fender and have no issues with clearance with the 5.10.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had a 244 on for a little while but for on road I did not like it at all. I never used it off road and that is likely where it would shine. What I did not like were the weight which contributed to a very heavy steering feel. It also almost killed my at 60mph when I almost went into a full blown tank slapper.

The tank slapper incident happened on a grooved section of pavement and the 244 wanted to follow the grooves which started a resonant oscillation. I think it is possible that the stiffer rear spring sharpens the steering a bit to further contribute to this.

Anyway, I put on a new OEM tire and I like it a lot better. Back to light steering and it has no issues on that section of pavement.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The weight issue was one reason I went with the 4.60 which is only about 25% heavier than the 8.6lb. stocker. Also I chose that size as the wheel diameter was closest to stock(-2%). I have experienced no road issues and it handles at least as easily and as well and better as the stocker on paved road conditions, even at high speed and in sharp leans.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Hopefully, we might get a good test report from Turborob in the near future. His thread Back roads across the USA.

He bought both of my TWs with brand new 244-5.10 tires installed with new tubes and Ride On. They have driven the bikes from NY to Washington and will soon be in California, at least 5,000 miles of all paved secondary and gravel roads. I rode the 1991 for 75 miles with the Shinko and loved the way it changed the feel on the trails and how smooth it was on pavement. My big concern was in the softer rubber and how long it would last with lots of mixed riding. I fully expect that the 244-5.10 should be getting pretty close to worn out right around the 6,000 mile mark and they have done this in little more than 2 months. I will ask Rob to give us a detailed report when he has time.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
My 244's show lots of wear. Being multi-directional, I'm gonna turn it around to get a little more use of it for the rest of the year. I guess I should have paid more attention on what the mileage was when I put them on. I'm guessing most of my wear has been from riding more pavement this year, and from what I understand, and my extensive use of the front brake. All said, I've been very satisfied with this tire, but am gonna give the SR241 a try next.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts