TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , my name is cole and I am completely new to dual sport, I recently bought a black and red 1988 yamaha tw 200 which I really love. The bike rides great but ever here and there it will run really rough like it wants to stall it starts to pop then bog down if I give it gas. The carb looks literally brand new. I have read that this could be symptoms of a bad CPI ... Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
Do you mean CDI?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
At this point, I wouldn't worry about it being the CDI. It was a problem for some 87's but not for 88's. It's probably the carb and it sounds like a lean problem. I would run some Lucus Deep System Fuel Cleaner in it. (3 or 4oz to the tank) Now just run it for a couple days and let the stuff work. Put a gas filter inline between the petcock and carb if it doesn't have one. You might also check the air/fuel mixture screw. They come from the factory lean, correct adjustment should end up around 2 1/2 turns out. Have you gone through the rest of the bike? Such as a valve adjustment? If the plug is good and valves have been adjusted, go ahead with the carb adjustment. The carb is the last thing you do in a tune up. Welcome to the forum Cole. Lots of good folks here. Keep us posted if you have any other questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts