TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the tw200 world. . I am picking up an 87 with a little over 2000 miles on it. I think it would be safe to say they were 2000 enjoyed miles, this is no safe queen but has a ton of potential. It sat for a few years and a good friend of mine ran across it and snatched it up. Gas tank was full of rust. With a lot of cleaning ( bb's, nuts and solvents) and a carb kit it is up and running but in need. I will go into the details at a later date. I have learned a ton from this site. Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. Look forward to becoming a part of the community.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I will try to post some pics later. I have run up against the dreaded CDI failure. Have read a bunch on it today, looks like a lot of people have put a lot of energy into trying to find a cheaper alternative to the overpriced factory one. I was not able to find one with a definitive solution though. Guess I'm going to bite the bullet and order one. If I'm overlooking the post with the solution please feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Welcome from the middle of the world. I have an '87, and don't have the cdi problem,,,,,,yet. Knock on wood. I would do like you have done, and order a new one. These little jewels are well worth the money and effort. Be careful, you might just have to add another one to your stable. They are addictive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The interest started when I bought my 8 year old a Honda 70 this Christmas. Decided I should get something to ride with him. A friend of mine has a 95 and had picked this one up also. It didn't take much convincing for me to realize this bike is ideal for my needs.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I haven't experimented on a motorcycle yet but my $800. CDI box for my boat went out and I wired up a car coil. I think it actually runs quicker now. I watched a Briggs and Stratton mod where they used a motorcycle ignition and big time upped the rpm acceleration. No suggestions but I have been wondering about what a high revving single cylinder ignition would do on a Tdub.

·
Registered
19,590 Posts
While pricey the stock '87 CDI is likely the safest long term solution to get out soon chasing the son on his Christmas 70cc Honda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts