TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to me 87 build

Well to start with I have wanted one for over a year. One recently came up 2 hours away for 700$. Did lots of reading/research here after buying it. Was in fairly rough shape but it ran and I didnt care if i had to fix it. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Finally most of the needed parts arrived and i couldnt take it anymore. Took 3 hours after work and turned it into this. image.jpg

Hardest part was the first couple bolts. Taking a perfectly running bike and tuning it into 3 boxes of parts and a frame.
Took the next 3 day i had off and put about 30 hours in on the bike. Paint prep and rust removal consumed more time than i can put into words. I became very familiar with the air grinder... During this time i also completely tore apart and rebuilt the forks and steering. Lots of water in the forks. Replaced all gaskets/oil seals and o-rings on the motor i could get to without cracking the case. Put a new rear tire on also:D
Heres where i made it to then had to go back to the FD. image.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
image.jpg
I had planned to finish this build in about a week. Got one more 2 hour evening of work in on it and then.....

This little girl showed up 2 weeks early!
image.jpg

Kinda screwed my timeline on this. Finally got back to it after a week, working a couple hours at a time.
image.jpg

Mostly done with a decent set of plastics on it
image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank was in pretty good shape but still pulled one small dent and some dings out of it. Decided it should be black and started to paint the plastics...... Worst idea of the whole project. What a PITA. Scuffed and cleaned the plastics really well with xylollet em dry 12 hours, sprayed them... Looked like Sh!7. Super spotty like still alot of oil on them. So cleaned and sanded them again, sprayed again. Same result slightly better... This went on for 2days. Finally look decent (also my standards definitly went done during 2 days) and put everything back together.
image.jpg image.jpg

Forgot the front fender in those. Also my decals came in.
image.jpg

I had intended to take more pictures through the process but life got in the way now I'm just glad to be almost done.
Stripped and repainted entire bike
Painted rims and motor
Relpaced gaskets, oil seals, o-rings in motor and reset valves
New intake tube (old one was about an inch short)
New rear tire Maxxis Ceros 26x9
New chain
New wheel bearings all around
New fork seals and rebuilt steering bearings
New seat cover
Handguards
Used full exhaust and plastics
New ignition coil, spark plug, oil&filter

I know theres more but thats what i can remember right now. I want to thank you all for the knowledge left on this site as i referenced it quite a bit during the build. Now i just have to wait for the carb rebuild kit that i forgot to order until last night :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. I will take some nice pictures if it ever decides to be summer here and stop raining. Also i will post final carb tuning once i nail it down (I'm at 9k above sea level).
Also was going to ride the stock front for a little while but thats going to be next change, it almost laid me down on the test ride today going from pave to dirt. OMG I would have been sick if I laid it down 200 yards into the test ride....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Very nice job. Is that the bike that was listed for sale in SE (I think) CO.? I have an 87 model as well, and it seems to function better than my 99 model. Good going, and congrats on the new little girl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i showed up to the garage tonight to drive it home and immediately noticed that the kickstand spring and metal clip are laying on the ground next to the bike...
Thank goodness i read the thread about how to fix that issue. Had it drilled, tapped and and a bolt in to fix it in under an hour. Got my new taillight today so should have that on tomorrow.

No its not from southern CO, i actually picked it up in Laramie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts