Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start out by saying that it was not ENTIRELY my fault,
Heres the bike,
flt4.jpg
1983 FLT which is altered a bit to look more like the FLH,
So,
I wake like an innocent Babe this morning and poke at the local CL for new posts or owner MC, recent first and this pops up, Posted at 2am,
I send the guy a text at 8am and he calls me at 930 and at 1030 I see the bugger,
S&S heads and jugs and I'm told all internals as well all with 550 miles, I pull the plugs and the bore condition agrees with the new engine statement, New tires and brakes and it looks like it had a full mechanical restoration 550 miles ago as the guy says and the 1960s repop speedo reads 550 miles as well,
SO guys, I had to buy it for the price he dangled in front of me,,,,,
Theres 3" of snow on the ground so I didn't bring home today,
But guy can deliver to my work after the snow and salt are off the roads in a couple days,
It includes the proper front fender which I will put on asap,
Ill make a few changes, But its will be nice to have a clean, Non leaky shovel head engine with 550 miles on it ! !
Stay safe guys !
Peter B,
flt1.jpg flt2.jpg flt3.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks good nothing like classic iron.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wifes away at Sisters house in another state,
But I told her I bought it yesterday and so far so good ! !
I gotta buy her some flowers ! ! !

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Nice bike but there is no such thing as a non leaky shovelhead. That should be the last year the shovels were made.
Halfway through the year they changed to the then new Blockhead engines. How much did it set you back?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its the only year with a rubber mounted shovelhead, The engine is a fresh rebuild which looks like all S&S stuff, 5 speed trans seems to be rebuilt and no there are no leaks and it even has a new X-Ring chain and appears to have been just put together with tons of new good quality parts,
Its far from the stock 1983 Tour Glide which it was at one time, But very solid and ridable, Looks like they are rater to tow 300 pounds so I wonder if I can tow a TW?
I am not used to rubber mounted shovels, But am hoping to !
Peter B
006.jpg

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Pred, you and I must be on the same mental plain as I've been (for no reasonable reason) poking around Softails, Fatboy's and FLH's the last week or so. Some real bargains out there! Not as old as your nice looking shovel but nothing newer than 1999 which is my cut-off year for real HD's (2 "real" fuel tanks, carbs, no firkin fancy FOB key start thing-a-ma-jig, etc).
Jan and Feb are great months to buy big American Iron just languishing in the garage. Too cold for the owners to ride to Starbucks :)
Congrats to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts