TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the group.

im about to purchase this 1990 tw200, here in Colombia this bikes where never imported by Yamaha so there are very few of them. this is only the third bike i know exists in the country. its in a very sorry state and i will have a lot of work and money to pour in the old thing. I'm purchasing it blind only based on pictures. and offered a good price for it. waiting on the seller, but I'm confident i will be getting it.

i have always liked fat tire bikes, and this one will be a fine addition to ride next to a honda fatcat i also restored.

i have restored besides the fatcat a 1980 rd400g and in the process of restoring a 1972 cb750k2 and a 1991 Ducati 907, so this type projects are my cup of tea and what i love doing on my home garage.

to my knowledge, the carb is not OEM, the front hub is not OEM since it has frond disc, and im pretty sure its not from the 2001 plus tw200, probably some insert from various bikes.

hopefully the electrics are almost there...

ok once i have it on my hands i will post more pics so this forum can help me put better.

i will look for the parts manual and the shop manual in the mean time.

Attachments

· Registered
23,849 Posts
Welcome Jose, sounds like you know what you are doing when bringing a bike back to life.
Good luck on the restoration work needed, we may be able to help with any questions. We may even provide accurate answers.(y)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting the bike, to anyone interested i paid approximately 1600usd, to you guys in the US, this might be cheap or not, but considering this bikes are next to unobtainium here in Colombia, i think its a good price given its unoriginal condition. From all the pictures i have seen... i know the entire front end is from a different bike, the carb is not original, seems to be a round slide carb from who knows which bike, some plastics are cracked, needs knobby tires (the ones fitted are for a street bike), its missing the rear guard . So the first thing i will do is get this bike functional as cheaply as posible since all the parts will have to be sourced from the US. then slowly decide if i want to restore it or make it better with better parts. this is where i will need the help of this forum, this will be a fine addition to ride along the 87 fatcat, and let friends and family ride the cat. the bike will be delivered in Bogota to a friends house, then i will bring it to my home town in Popayan which is around 10 hours to the south in a mountainous region with plenty of dirt roads and a volcano that i can see from my house, which would be amazing if i can take trips there with the bike.

as soon as i get it i will be posting pictures so i can get better advise on what parts to get and what to change.

· Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I'm getting the bike, to anyone interested i paid approximately 1600usd, to you guys in the US, this might be cheap or not, but considering this bikes are next to unobtainium here in Colombia, i think its a good price given its unoriginal condition. From all the pictures i have seen... i know the entire front end is from a different bike, the carb is not original, seems to be a round slide carb from who knows which bike, some plastics are cracked, needs knobby tires (the ones fitted are for a street bike), its missing the rear guard . So the first thing i will do is get this bike functional as cheaply as posible since all the parts will have to be sourced from the US. then slowly decide if i want to restore it or make it better with better parts. this is where i will need the help of this forum, this will be a fine addition to ride along the 87 fatcat, and let friends and family ride the cat. the bike will be delivered in Bogota to a friends house, then i will bring it to my home town in Popayan which is around 10 hours to the south in a mountainous region with plenty of dirt roads and a volcano that i can see from my house, which would be amazing if i can take trips there with the bike.

as soon as i get it i will be posting pictures so i can get better advise on what parts to get and what to change.
Can't wait for the photos!💗

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok guys as promised, I just received the tw200 this morning , this is the first time seeing it in person or a tw for that matter, its in a pretty rough shape.

you can judge by the pictures. the previous owner fitted some supermoto tires, which looks funny on this bike.

at first i thought the rear rim was not OEM but now i confirmed its the original rim so I'm glad for that. One less thing to get.

The entire front end excluding the triple clamps are from another bike, those bars make the bike look taller, im trying to find out which bike they are from including the caliper.

I already ordered a used front wheel, and bought both forks, the tubes are bent beyond repair so I'm looking for good cheap replacement stanchions.

i will be taking it apart, to asses everything that needs to be replaced, restored or is missing.

ill post more pictures later

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle accessory Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle wheel rim

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

· Registered
2,113 Posts
Measure (diameter) those forks. Hopefully, they’re the same as the TW forks, otherwise they enlarged the triples to accommodate.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the TW find! 👍🏻

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Measure (diameter) those forks. Hopefully, they’re the same as the TW forks, otherwise they enlarged the triples to accommodate.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the TW find! 👍🏻
CHECKED, the triples fine, those bars are 33mm they i still have no idea if the stanchions are original or not. the top forks nut seems different, i wont know until i take them appart. and compare them to the bent ones i purchased to get the bottom bottles.

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Rim Steering wheel

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2004 TW200
476 Posts
It doesn't look too bad. It should be able to get in shape pretty easily. Good project.
Is that a Honda Fat Cat on the back patio?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It doesn't look too bad. It should be able to get in shape pretty easily. Good project.
Is that a Honda Fat Cat on the back patio?
yeap, an 86 fatcat, i'm restoring it, its complete only needs to be painted, but its a rider, i will do that when the engine needs a teardown.
its next to an 80 rd400g which is completely restored, that was my first bike ever, it took 8 years to complete.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts