TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just purchased a 2002 tw200 with a little over 2000 miles on it. It runs great and and seems to be in great condition. I was hoping I could get a little advice on what to look for with a new bike and some maintenance tips. I believe everything is still original especially with the low miles. It sat for awhile before I bought it, but seems to leak a little gas out of the carb and maybe a few drops that may have dripped from the back of the carbs vent or overflow tubes. It didn’t feel like gas when I touched it. Is there a chance oil could be leaking from the same area? Newby here! Hope I can get some advice! Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Check the bowl gasket for leak; wipe it down with a tissue, then watch closely. Mine did that, had to replace. Found one cheap on eBay.
Where you from? I had a buddy sell his 2002 TW200 this morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I’ll take a look. I live in Boise. Purchased my tw last Thursday out in Nampa. Hoping to get it all registered by Monday and take it for a ride and burn the old fuel through it and reevaluate the leaks when I get back. Oil is good, purrs when I fire it up. It can be a hard start sometimes. Any advise on starting these bikes up? Sometimes it fires right up and sometimes it takes some turning to get it to fire.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have family in Boise, but I'm in Placerville, CA (not Idaho).
The carb comes lean from the factory. There are ways to tune the carb for easier starting and there's a screw adjustment hidden on the carb. Take time to know your bike, then do some research on the forum here. I'm sure just about everything has been answered. Look for the carb air screw setting and stuff on jetting.
Other stuff;
loose the front tire. Factory tire known as the Death Wing
Keep only fresh fuel in the tank. Add a stabilizer and aftermarket inline filter
When changing the oil filter, be careful on the install. There's a wrong way that will block holes and oil won't flow right.

Like I said, there are lots of threads on these topics, so start reading!

And welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Welcome to the forum and let the fun begin!

Marty

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would second the bowl gasket and there is an o ring where the seat goes in the carburetor mine was leaking around it and would drip gas after a little bit may wait to change neadle and seat with the bowl gasket. And as Ski pro said check the air screw.
And welcome and nice to have another tw in the Treasure Valley area.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thank you! I’ll take a look. I live in Boise. Purchased my tw last Thursday out in Nampa. Hoping to get it all registered by Monday and take it for a ride and burn the old fuel through it and reevaluate the leaks when I get back. Oil is good, purrs when I fire it up. It can be a hard start sometimes. Any advise on starting these bikes up? Sometimes it fires right up and sometimes it takes some turning to get it to fire.
First off, congrats on your T-Dub purchase. They're a great little tractor bike. Second, I'm kind-a assuming your user name is such that you ARE a fireman, maybe from Boise? I'm retired San Diego FD. On my '07 T-dub, like yours, it would give me troubles starting on a fairly often basis. After much searching around and inquiring on here, I determined that, if I'd pull in the clutch during some of it's "starting issues", the bike would fire right up. Now, is that your problem, not a clue. But, is it worth trying, you betcha. Enjoy your new little toy. Take a look at Freds and Admirals videos, talk about envy, wow!
Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your reply! I am a Fireman for the city of Nampa. 4 years on the job. Nampa is a few miles west of Boise. Amazing department. 5 stations and hoping to add 2-3 in the next few years with all the growth in the valley. Thank you for your service. It’s a great profession and I admire guys like you who’ve put the time in! And thank you, I actually noticed when I pulled the clutch in yesterday it seemed to fire up a little easier. Not sure why. But it does seem to help. Thanks for the advice. Hope to make this my fly fishing ride to get me up and down the river. And I’ll check them out!

·
Registered
20,746 Posts
WELCOME!
Age of tires can be a safety issue on a second hand bike, even with low mileage.
Any 18 year old front tire , especially the OEM we refer to as the Death Wing, can handle poorly.
Other than my assumption about tire age it sounds like you have a winner.
Fresh fluids from gas, fork oil, engine oil, to the air in tires ( air is a fluid, but you already knew that) can't hurt and gets you familiar with the bike before there is any need for serious maintenance. Check electrolyte level in battery if lead-acid type.
Clutch in after rocking the bike a bit can break the stiction between clutch plates and facilitate a faster starter spin for a bike that has been sitting for a bit. Faster spin, easier ignition.
Age and quality of battery should be addressed before an extended fly fishing ride. If fairly new then OK. If OEM why not treat yourself to a new lithium battery since the 2002s lack a back-up kick stater?

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
Welcome from Garden Valley. Looks like you’re gonna enjoy the TW. Riding in two’s is very fun as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thank you for your reply! I am a Fireman for the city of Nampa. 4 years on the job. Nampa is a few miles west of Boise. Amazing department. 5 stations and hoping to add 2-3 in the next few years with all the growth in the valley. Thank you for your service. It’s a great profession and I admire guys like you who’ve put the time in! And thank you, I actually noticed when I pulled the clutch in yesterday it seemed to fire up a little easier. Not sure why. But it does seem to help. Thanks for the advice. Hope to make this my fly fishing ride to get me up and down the river. And I’ll check them out!
Hey Sir,
I thank you for the kind words. Yep, great profession for sure. Nampa huh? We have friends who have a daughter and son-in-law that live in Nampa. I hope you too have great career. Fly fishing huh? Lucky guy. I never got into it heavily but, did try it and it was ton of fun but, it's a tad more work than regular bait/lure type fishing. Any and all fishing is fun. Be careful on hauling that fly rod around. Looks like an old 8' Whip I used to use for C/B radios, hahaha. Enjoy your new T-dub, your job AND fishing! By the way, what is your schedule. Ours was/is called 4's and 6's. That is, 24 on, 24 off. Do that for four shifts then, FOUR DAYS OFF.

Then, 24 on, 24 off, for four more shifts. Then, SIX DAYS OFF. Hence, 4's and 6's.
Scott

·
Registered
557 Posts
Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
175 Posts
Out for the first ride and fishing trip. Loved it! Now the fiancé wants one
Do it! Get her on the teet now while the desire is still there. If you cant find one locally, ping me as I am happy to serve as a remote set of eyes for a fellow T-Dubber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Sir,
I thank you for the kind words. Yep, great profession for sure. Nampa huh? We have friends who have a daughter and son-in-law that live in Nampa. I hope you too have great career. Fly fishing huh? Lucky guy. I never got into it heavily but, did try it and it was ton of fun but, it's a tad more work than regular bait/lure type fishing. Any and all fishing is fun. Be careful on hauling that fly rod around. Looks like an old 8' Whip I used to use for C/B radios, hahaha. Enjoy your new T-dub, your job AND fishing! By the way, what is your schedule. Ours was/is called 4's and 6's. That is, 24 on, 24 off. Do that for four shifts then, FOUR DAYS OFF.

Then, 24 on, 24 off, for four more shifts. Then, SIX DAYS OFF. Hence, 4's and 6's.
Scott
That’s great! And yes Nampa is a great place and Nampa Fire is an even better place to work. Very lucky guy. We are 48/96 up here. I enjoy the schedule. Consistent 48s can be tiring at a busy house but I enjoy the 4 days off every week. I’ve never heard of your schedule before. doesn’t seem to bad at all. I was a modified Detroit when I worked in Washington State. 1on 1off 1on 1off 1on 4 off. I didn’t mind that schedule either.
Fly fishing is great in this area, several nice fishable rivers. And ill keep the 8 foot whip in raps for now haha had no choice for my first fishing trip. Ill make some sort of rod holder. Thank you! It’s been a blast so far. Fun to fix up and make like new again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts