TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

New to Me

8K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Rhodetrip 
#1 ·
As you may know, Mrs Trip and I picked up 2 new (used) TWs in mid August when we got back from Ireland. I have a set list of things that we change to make them to our liking.
The bikes looked like this when we got them...except for the racks, they are pretty much stock. We bought them both the same day from 2 different craigslist sellers about 50 miles apart.
There was nothing available for a long time, and then all of a sudden, a bunch.

I will get the one on the left. It is a 2009 with 1400 miles on it.
Mrs Trip will get the bike on the right. It is a 2008 with about 2200 miles on the clock. However, it is in immaculate condition, where as the 2009 has been crashed at least once (the bars are tweaked) and it has some light surface rust in a few spots.

Today, the one on the left looks like this:

I'll detail the changes here in my next post tomorrow.

See less See more
#5 ·
I was inspired by the Admiral's bike that is painted in a Desert Tan color. I figured here in the northeast, though, a green drab color made more sense. I want a low profile when the zombie apocalypse happens.
I took GaryL's advice in another thread, and I used the older plastics off a different bike, and saved the newer plastics originally on this bike.
I used Rustoleum Camoflage paint from Walmart in Dark Forest green. Prepped with a scothbrite wheel on a polishing jack to minimize the scratches on the old plastics. They came out very nice with the matte finish non-reflective paint. It actually is kind of a grey/green color. Very stealth.

Starting at the top is a Jimbo shield in Dark Grey.
Oxford heated grips wired direct to the battery with the controller mounted on the risers.
SE ATV low bars - aluminum
Rox 2 inch risers... between the risers and the new bars, I had to re-route the throttle cables and the kill switch/ start wiring. I was afraid it wasn't going to fit at first, but eventually it worked out.
It tugged enough at full lock to separate the kill switch wire at the connection plug under the tank, leaving me with a WTF why won't it start problem for a while until I removed the tank and traced the wire back.
Sae plug from the battery to the cockpit area for charging and powering the Garmin locking mount for the Montana GPS or cell phone.
D-Flex handguards with the optional "spoilers" that I painted to match the other plastics. The inner guards I left black.
Custom switchmount for the SuperbrightLeds.com auxillary lights, which I mounted to the existing reflector brackets. 900 lumens each.
Also installed a Cyclops LED headlight from RockyMtnAtv. 3800 lumens.

Next up, The Clarke tank (2.8 gal) in black.
I sent the seat to Fisher Upholstery in Idaho for a modification. They raised it and widened the seat and put a pigskin and carbon fiber cover on it.
The original horn I replaced with a Denali Soundbomb that is plug and play. DENALI SoundBomb Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Motorcycle Horn | TwistedThrottle.com
New cast steel footpegs.
Richochet skidplate.

Cyclerack installed.

To do list:
I am replacing the stock spring with the red Procycle shock spring.

Forks are going to get the heaviest Procycle springs and cartridge emulators, as well as new fork oil and new seals.

I have not installed the mesh headlight guard on this bike yet.

Needs the chain and/or sprockets upgraded to x-ring.

Needs some reflective tape applied to compensate for removing the reflectors from the forks.

#6 ·
I sent the seat to Fisher Upholstery in Idaho for a modification. They raised it and widened the seat and put a pigskin and carbon fiber cover on it.

To do list:
I am replacing the stock spring with the red Procycle shock spring.
I was hoping the Seat Concepts seat would have been built up enough in the front to keep me from sliding forward like your Fischer Seat. Some of my problem is the Ceros ATV Tire is taller and raises the ass end of the TW up. Like you with the heaviest Procycle shock, I may drop to the lowest groove and see how that works. Too late to do it now for Fred's Carson Pass Ride this weekend as I'm already loaded up. (I kind of hate fighting with compressing the spring so I'm procrastinating). If I got a good spring compressor instead of the floor jack/ratchet strap compressor, it would probably be much easier not to mention safer. But I like living on the edge...not really.

Just before RoninBoise passed away he had a Fischer Seat made for his TW. I sat on it in his garage but that was it. Unfortunately, he passed away before he got to ride it much. I also put a Seat Concepts Seat on Mrs. Admiral's TW and even on her TW she slides forward towards the gas tank. The actual comfort of our seats isn't a problem other than sliding forward.

I like the way the front of the seat is built up. Also, helps with the knee position as your not in a seated squat position quite as much. Even though I've painted my more of a desert tan to match our environment, I do like the green like yours much better.

Looks Good!

#10 ·
I was hoping the Seat Concepts seat would have been built up enough in the front to keep me from sliding forward like your Fischer Seat. Some of my problem is the Ceros ATV Tire is taller and raises the ass end of the TW up. Like you with the heaviest Procycle shock, I may drop to the lowest groove and see how that works. Too late to do it now for Fred's Carson Pass Ride this weekend as I'm already loaded up. (I kind of hate fighting with compressing the spring so I'm procrastinating). If I got a good spring compressor instead of the floor jack/ratchet strap compressor, it would probably be much easier not to mention safer. But I like living on the edge...not really.

Just before RoninBoise passed away he had a Fischer Seat made for his TW. I sat on it in his garage but that was it. Unfortunately, he passed away before he got to ride it much. I also put a Seat Concepts Seat on Mrs. Admiral's TW and even on her TW she slides forward towards the gas tank. The actual comfort of our seats isn't a problem other than sliding forward.

I like the way the front of the seat is built up. Also, helps with the knee position as your not in a seated squat position quite as much. Even though I've painted my more of a desert tan to match our environment, I do like the green like yours much better.
I checked with Seat Concepts a few years ago if they would make a high seat for the TW200, but they said no. I had been stuffing extra foam under a Walmart seat pad so I knew the profile I wanted, and Fisher will make it. It is kind of steep, though, especially when you ship the seat both ways. Its worth it to me, though. I hate the numb nuts from the stock seat and can't ride all day like I can with the better seat. :D And that's funny...I like the desert tan of your bike better, but I wanted to be different.

#13 ·
I checked with Seat Concepts a few years ago if they would make a high seat for the TW200, but they said no. I had been stuffing extra foam under a Walmart seat pad so I knew the profile I wanted, and Fisher will make it. It is kind of steep, though, especially when you ship the seat both ways. Its worth it to me, though. I hate the numb nuts from the stock seat and can't ride all day like I can with the better seat. :D And that's funny...I like the desert tan of your bike better, but I wanted to be different.
Fischer is based or has a place here in the Boise area. However, they are still on the pricey side even without shipping. If I did a lot of road riding like you two do I think I would spring for the Fischer Seat.

Couple weeks ago when I found out Seat Concepts had moved up here to Caldwell from California I stopped in to talk to them and asked them if they could add to the front of the seat. They couldn't. My guess is they don't have a cushion mold for that or don't want to spend the time trimming a custom cushion. Plus, they would have to add fabric to the seat cover so it would cover the larger seat cushion. Right now their seat covers are still sewn in California and shipped up to Caldwell but they have plans to have in-house sewing in the near future.

They are nice folks at a nice shop but they're just not into the custom market for now.

#11 ·
Ha, ha... Fred...no I do not. But you must admit they look cool. I have installed them on all my bikes. I bought old stone guards for 70's Jeeps... very cheap for a pair on Ebay and a perfect fit. I bend up some little aluminum strips and mount them with a couple screws on top, and a longer strip that attaches to the bottom screw on the cowling. And we do ride on a lot of gravel roads... maybe they have prevented broken headlights many times as Mrs Trip roosted me? :D

#12 ·
#15 ·
everything is ether in idaho or moving to idaho! seat concepts is now in your area
No kidding. Idaho is like a black hole sucking up my dual sport dollars!

#20 ·
That explains it. Mel has the trophy. He's holding out on us...living it up on your dollar.

#22 · (Edited)
Next up, Mrs Trip's bike. Most important.... I got the stone guard installed on this one. ;)

Also, the D-Flex handguards.
Oxford heated grips: Oxford Heaterz Premium Sport Motorcycle Heated Grips | TwistedThrottle.com
SAE plug to the cockpit area
Superbright LEDs
Cyclops LED headlight
Clear Jimbo shield
Ram mount for her Spot tracker
Clarke Tank in white, with a new Tusk billet gas cap.

The new YSS custom shock...built to the length of a V-Star shock, but tuned for her weight and riding style...with the fancy purple spring....

Her forks are slid up about an inch in the clamps to compensate for the shorter shock. Also, the kickstand I cut and shortened about 1-1/2 inch. Some conduit was a perfect fit, and my next door neighbor at my business welded it for me. I also added a link cut from a heavy chain and welded on to make it easier to reach the kickstand with her foot...like a fancy BMW.

Also has wider pegs and a Richochet skid plate installed.
And I am forgetting the Tusk 1 inch risers that help her bars clear the Clarke tank. Seems counter-intuitive on a bike that I've lowered, but it also makes it more comfortable for her standing on the pegs. Once it is all set up, the TW fits her perfectly at an even 5 feet tall. She looks like she is riding a big GS. She can flat foot the bike when the going gets rough.
I also cut the foam for her seats, and dish it out to lower the seat, and narrow the foam along the front sides... then reinstall the cover.

Golden Boy front tire installed.
She has a Denali Soundbomb horn too.
I have applied the 3M reflective tape to both her forks and swingarm... since I took the reflectors off to mount the aux lights.
Cycleracks rack installed.

#23 ·
Here's the 2 bikes together. People often will be surprised when we tell them we are both on the same bike.

and just for fun, here is a stock TW for comparison.

That bike was Point37's bike that I bought a couple of years ago. I am thinking of selling it, so I took the Clarke tank and Richochet skidplate off of it, and put them on Mrs Trip's new bike. I then put the tank from my 2009 on that bike...perfect match and it makes it look like a new bike. I left the wide pegs on this bike, because sticking a new owner with the stock pegs is just mean.

#25 · (Edited)
Oh, that's no big deal. What I meant was, did you notice that Mel backed out of your upcoming ride, once he found out he had a whole dollar to spend.:D

#26 ·
Mrs Trip's bike: To Do list

I have a set of progressive fork springs and new fork oil to install.
I'll also install a folding shift lever once I get around to it.
X-chain and sprockets.

That's it!

#27 ·
How's it fit? Took the bikes out for a spin last weekend.

#29 ·
I just went and measured the stock bike I have, and the seat height is 31 inches. I then measured the bike with the Fisher seat using the same method and the seat height is 34 inches.

#31 ·
And for reference I went and measured Mrs Trip's bike with the same method... piece of 2x4 across the lowest point on the seat, with a level on top to make sure the bike is vertical, then tape measure from the floor to the bottom of the 2x4.
Hers is 28 inches.

#33 ·
Me and The Mrs cover a bit of ground:

I think the stock gear ratio is a pretty good compromise for our riding.

#35 · (Edited)

.........I'm looking for the 100' snorkels for both you and the bike.........

"I think the stock gear ratio is a pretty good compromise for our riding."
.........On Fred's ride last weekend with 15/50 (14/47) I was cutting out pretty bad while climbing the highway from Red Lake up to the summit. And it sucked off-road starting out in the steep, soft or rocky stuff...........back home at 3000'; no cutting out on the highway.........

..........proof that they do things backwards south of the border; not only do they put their version of "united" after the word state - but they actually spell the word state backwards ETATS..........

#37 ·
That reminds me of riding over Independence Pass...correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the highest paved pass in the US. Coming up the east side, there is a series of switchbacks with a 10 MPH speed limit.
My bike was really struggling....
A bunch of guys on cruisers were hanging around the lot at the top, watching me as I rode up: putt, putt, putt...I pulled in next to them.
"Jeez... that was tough," I said, "I had to wake up all 13 horses to make it up there" They were laughing at that.
"I'll tell you, though... I took those switchbacks at Wide Open Throttle!"

Fortunately, it was all downhill from there.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.