TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up? I recently moved back to Japan and found this sweet little bike called the TW200. No need to ride fast on the tiny island of Okinawa so this is a perfect ride for me to start out on. While researching the bike, I found this site. I've only been riding it a few days now, but I love this thing! I have no idea what the year is, the title does not specify. When the title transfer takes place, they just annotated the year it was transferred, weird. Any ideas on how to track down the original year? My guess would be to take it to a Yamaha dealer and they can figure it out by the serial number?

Anyway, here is a pic of the bike.

IMG_0824.JPG

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Interesting little bike! It's certainly not stock!

Yeah my best guess is through the VIN. Google up a VIN decoder online and punch it in there. Odds are it'll tell you without a trip to the dealer.

Rob

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mikey!

What you have there is probably a Japanese domestic market TW225 that has been converted to a "hollow mod" style, which was very popular in Japan. My son also liked this style and converted his TW200 as seen below, look familiar?

100_2650.JPG

Since Japanese market TW's have their own VIN numbering scheme, your best bet would be check with a local dealer to find out what year yours is. Fun bike to ride as long as it is not raining :)!

Brian

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome Mikey from Bel Air Maryland

Nice bike!!!

Rick

·
Registered
638 Posts
Diffrent ride from stock, but it is all about the fun right?
Welcome and ride on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum Mikey!

What you have there is probably a Japanese domestic market TW225 that has been converted to a "hollow mod" style, which was very popular in Japan. My son also liked this style and converted his TW200 as seen below, look familiar?

View attachment 17773

Since Japanese market TW's have their own VIN numbering scheme, your best bet would be check with a local dealer to find out what year yours is. Fun bike to ride as long as it is not raining :)!

Brian
Very nice! I really dug the look, almost has a Mad Max'ish feel to it. I just need to attach a crossbow or something! Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll take it to a dealer one of these days.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
No doubt it's been modified , but even though it's in Okinawa, shouldn't it still have a data plate on the steering head ?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No doubt it's been modified , but even though it's in Okinawa, shouldn't it still have a data plate on the steering head ?.
Good call, I found the VIN and the first five are 'DG07J'. After doing a quick google search/translate, it appears to be either a 2000 or 2001 model. Thanks for the help frog13 and thanks for the welcome everyone!

Edit: The bike has around 18,000 km (11,185 miles) on it and was a daily rider before it was sold. The chain was lubed, the oil changed, and the front brakes bled before being sold. I am new to motorcycles but am mechanically inclined. Other than cleaning off some corrosion and rust, are there any ideas/advice/tips to keep a bike this old in top shape?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts