TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just purchased a 2015 Yamaha TW200 in charcoal; an older man had purchased the bike and put 78 miles on it and returned it to the dealer in pristine shape. The factory yellow paint stripe is still present on the tires, luckily I was able to talk the dealer down to $3600... I sold my 1972 Yamaha RT 2 360 the day before so I had a good bit of cash in hand too.

My first impression's of the TW are all positive, this little machine has heart! Unlike the 360 the TW is refined and very solid in feel. The TW has been my dream bike for year's now, it brings me back to my youth and my Honda CT 70 I relentlessly romped on.

Many refer to this bike as slow and though it's no speed racer the TW holds it's own; I commute to work 11 miles one way @ 55 mph, this little bike had no problem reaching 70 on the 1 occasion I needed it to. Over the past 3 days I've traveled 100 miles and plan to ride another hundred or so Saturday ;).

·
Registered
357 Posts
hello all, i just purchased a 2015 yamaha tw200 in charcoal; an older man had purchased the bike and put 78 miles on it and returned it to the dealer in pristine shape. The factory yellow paint stripe is still present on the tires, luckily i was able to talk the dealer down to $3600... I sold my 1972 yamaha rt 2 360 the day before so i had a good bit of cash in hand too.

My first impression's of the tw are all positive, this little machine has heart! Unlike the 360 the tw is refined and very solid in feel. The tw has been my dream bike for year's now, it brings me back to my youth and my honda ct 70 i relentlessly romped on.

Many refer to this bike as slow and though it's no speed racer the tw holds it's own; i commute to work 11 miles one way @ 55 mph, this little bike had no problem reaching 70 on the 1 occasion i needed it to. Over the past 3 days i've traveled 100 miles and plan to ride another hundred or so saturday ;).
welcome!!

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Wow, an '72 RT360! It has been about 35 years since one of those last spit me off.
Worlds difference I imagine to ride the TW200 now.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum!

Sounds to me like you have the right mindset for a TW and will appreciate it for what it is, and not expect it to be something that it isn't.

Let us know where you are located, you may have some fellow forum members nearby.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome!! I loved those 360's. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome to the TDub life :happy1::happy1::happy1::blob1:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Welcome Yamahauln! Good observation on the TW. My 2006 just finally hit the 200 mile mark yesterday. On my way home from a members house, Bucknutz, I decided to run her at WOT for the first time, short burst, just to see what she will do before I drop the oil for the third time. I was a bit surprised when the needle was touching the 70+ mark on the speedometer on a flat and straight piece of local road. Okay, so now that I know she will do it I must admit it does not feel very good at that speed. The engine was fine with it but the TW was never designed for 70 MPH and certainly not with the stock dual purpose tires. My total load on the bike was just about 240 pounds and 50 -55 feels so much nicer on this little mule.

GaryL

Reactions: wolfy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the 360 was a ankle snapping, widow making, h.e. double l raising bike. I restored it from the ground up and let me tell you the power band it that bike would leave you black and blue lol. With that being said I just had a newborn and I also have a 10 year old as well, I couldn't help to think about their life without me, so I went with the bike I always dreamed of owning, a TW ;). Either bike can kill you; however, the TW is so much more laid back and forgiving than that wicked power band and a sometime sticking carb slide.

I'm from the North East Ohio area and I'm 32, I weigh in at 160 to 165 I'm 6ft and had a strong wind against the bike on the flat when I hit 70. The front tire felt floaty but the engine didn't sounds stressed at all. I do believe a set of less aggressive dirt tires would correct that, but that's why I bought the bike, to play in the dirt and not go 70 unless I really, really need to. I honestly had throttle left but backed out because I wasn't too keen on the handling at that point. Thanks for the warm welcome all, I'm glad to say I'm part of the Tw crew now ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, 128 miles that's worth some serious cash these days. My CT was ridden pretty hard before I purchased it, actually my father bought it for me off my best friend's Dad. I kept the bike for years and finally something gave out, it would run a little while and shut off, a few days later it would run and then shut off again. I believe at that point my attention turned to Quads. I started out with Yamaha's 175 Tri-Moto and then on to a Timber Wolf 250. Perhaps that's why I'm so fond of the TW, it's pretty much a street legal two wheeled Quad lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts