TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 89 TW200 that I got in trade for the ol' lady and it would seem like it needs a stator and pulse generator. That's if I tested it correctly. So my question is, is there some way to swap from 01+? Cause all the stators and pulse coils are stupid expensive. Can some please explain any difference or what kinda swap they have done? Or anybody got either for a decent price? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Hi Justin, welcome to the forum!

Mechanically, you can swap a 2001+ stator into your engine by swapping the flywheel, and left side cover/stator. That is how I transplanted a 2000 TTR225 engine into a 2007 TW. I am not sure if your 1989 CDI would work or if you would need the newer CDI and/or other electrical changes.

Is the bike running at all? The reason I ask is because others have replaced coils, stators, etc., only to find that they were not the problem. Unfortunately, I can't offer you much electrical assistance.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
When you change the front sprocket, you first remove the left side crankcase cover (and the oil) – when you put that cover back on, the stator magnet tries to fight you, making it a bit of a nightmare

If, during that struggle, you inadvertently pinch the wires comes up from the stator, you will lose power from the magneto, and signal from the pulse coil

For this reason, I would do the tear down and inspect closely before ordering anything

Welcome to the board ....

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
So I have a 89 TW200 that I got in trade for the ol' lady and it would seem like it needs a stator and pulse generator. That's if I tested it correctly. So my question is, is there some way to swap from 01+? Cause all the stators and pulse coils are stupid expensive. Can some please explain any difference or what kinda swap they have done? Or anybody got either for a decent price? Thanks for any input!
Since your unsure if you tested it correctly, how about telling us how you tested it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
X2 on what they said. It could easily be a poor connection or other issue. We dont know your abilities so tread lightly, dont "jump" anything using power. I would use the schematic to eliminate everything but the basic circuits needed to make the bike fire. Lets look at a schematic. I have an 89 engine laying at home but dont know that system right off, I have 2007 bikes.

·
Registered
922 Posts
When you change the front sprocket, you first remove the left side crankcase cover (and the oil) – when you put that cover back on, the stator magnet tries to fight you, making it a bit of a nightmare

If, during that struggle, you inadvertently pinch the wires comes up from the stator, you will lose power from the magneto, and signal from the pulse coil

For this reason, I would do the tear down and inspect closely before ordering anything

Welcome to the board ....
Really. Check those wires FIRST. They can be pinched very easily. If they are it can display the same "test" results as a failed coil, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts