TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all you TW guys. Im new to this platform. Ive been told more than once that the carb needs to be re jetted because they are way too lean from the factory.

Opinions please.

Tom Bentzen

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Unless you ride at higher elevations, many of us have improved the lean condition by adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw. Lots of good threads on here explaining the process and discussing which jets have worked for folks at various elevations.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
As the Badger stated a lean condition can be improved via simply adjusting what is referred to here as the air/fuel mixture screw. That has been my solution.
I have almost 20,000 miles on my TWs and never felt any need to re-jet. It is not a necessity although some have reported favorable results with different jets and/or shims under the needle. Consider it elective, not mandatory...unless you happen to have a Rover operating on another planet.

Farewell Opportunity Rover! Maybe some day we will come track you down & dust off your solar panels and send you on your way again. rover2.jpeg

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
it sounds to me that very few need to change anything other than the mixture screw. i bought a new 2014 and it was a dog, hard to start, wouldn't run without the choke until noon, had low power. i purchased the Procycle jet kit and put in the bare miminum they suggested and i got a whole new engine out of it. in the summer there was no chock needed and there was a big increase in power. i was very surprised with the whole thing, they must have really screwed up that carb when they built it

·
Registered
227 Posts
They have jets ???? It is very common for me to ride from 600" about sea level to 6000" above sea level on the same day.... I suspect that is true for anyone who rides in the mountain west …. never noticed a problem...

·
Registered
303 Posts
For stock airbox and exhaust, all you need is to give the mixture screw another 3/4-1 full turn out from it's stock setting. It'll make cold starting much easier and run a lot cleaner at low speeds.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Read the sticky on Rejetting. Only you know how / where you'll be riding. I live in SW Ohio......elevation ranges from 450 ' - 1,500' above sea level......I rejetted and shimmed the needle.....also backed out the pilot screw 2 or 2.5 turns . Great results......it's easy to do BTW.....I'm not a mechanic either. Ride on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks everyone. Ill be riding from 2500' to 8000'. I live at 2500' and Ill be riding UP from there.
Up to Van Epps Pass......I ride some on the old Ellensburg District.....one of my favorites being the closed road to Upper Negro Creek....the 4X4 Routes in the Liberty Beehive area....the Manashtash …..the Teanaway….that area is great TW riding....Your new bike looks very well thought out..... to much snow this month.... we should be riding some now.......

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
While I ride mostly in elevations above 5,000 ft my stock jetted TWs have not let me down from seal level rides to 11,800 ft. summits. Adequate for many tasks, just not optimized for any particular task...sort of like the TW in general.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
While I ride mostly in elevations above 5,000 ft my stock jetted TWs have not let me down from seal level rides to 11,800 ft. summits. Adequate for many tasks, just not optimized for any particular task...sort of like the TW in general.
I never rejetted mine from stock and I found that about 11k feet is about where she gets uncomfortable. I did ride to the top of Mt. Evans once, which is 14k feet, but that's a paved road. I could feel the lack of power, but it made it without issue. A dirt trail with any kind of steepness to it about 11 thousandish or more was a serious problem though. I even had to abandon it once and ride the rest of the way in a buddy's [fuel injected] Razor once out by Breckenridge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts