TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I was handed a TW200 to complete a BRC on. I kind of sneered at it as I had rode there on a cruiser. Then I hopped on. A rider who had a single year of experience and thought his cruiser was the best thing ever.

I loved that thing! I never seriously sought one out as I needed highway capable bikes for commuting. I did go from cruisers to sport and now ride a DL650 daily.

I was picking up a can of chain lube after the Marines sent me out here to 29 Stumps for schooling when I spotted it. Tucked away was a 1996 with 740 miles on it. I left my number in case it came up for sale since it was in for routine service. I guess the owner never really rode it.

Today I got the call. It will be available Tuesday. I plan to pick it up for riding around town and improving my dirt riding skills. Then I will teach my son on it.

That will give me a child on a sport bike (oldest daughter), one on a cruiser (other daughter), and my son on a dual sport.

Needless to say, I know little about dirt riding and this bike. I hope I can find help here. Especially with techniques for riding so I can pass them on properly to him. Maybe even apply them to my DL650.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Don't take it too seriously as a true dirt bike, or road bike. A little bit of each and then depending on how you are going to set it up, if at all.
Stupid fun for anyone that likes to ride anything. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Don't take it too seriously as a true dirt bike, or road bike. A little bit of each and then depending on how you are going to set it up, if at all.
Stupid fun for anyone that like to ride anything. Congrats.
If your definition of dirtbike is motorcross then yes...it's a fat trail bike when equipt for off road. Most dirt bike riding practices (stances, preloading etc) will more or less apply to the TW if you challenge yourself. Or you can putt around the dirt and pavement with ease if that's what you're looking for. You can get more out of a TW but you've gotta work it a little harder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stupid fun for anyone that like to ride anything. Congrats.
If your definition of dirtbike is motorcross then yes...it's a fat trail bike when equipt for off road. Most dirt bike riding practices (stances, preloading etc) will more or less apply to the TW if you challenge yourself. Or you can putt around the dirt and pavement with ease if that's what you're looking for. You can get more out of a TW but you've gotta work it a little harder.
I guess I have a lot to learn. I didn't understand any of this. Sorry.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Welcome, and you are about to find out what fun really is. Your kids will really love the dirt bike, and they will learn quickly. As was said earlier, they're kinda like potato chips, you can't eat just one.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
463 Posts
As I tell friends, the TW will do just about anything any other dirtbike will do but at a slower pace and ditto for street bikes. Many motorcycle schools use them for training new students because they have have low seats, are quite light and you can get them rolling just by letting the clutch out slowly with no need to add any throttle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I picked her up today. Buzzy at 55mph, but I expected that. 1st gear is probably more useful in the dirt than on the street. Ran great and I hope to get her in some dirt this weekend. I am new to the dirt scene, so if it goes down, it will be my fault.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This may be the best thing for you and your children to take. Maybe not this one, he is in Texas.
I took his class on my Dr, best thing i ever did. I am sure there are others like his around.
One thing, if you run across Dragoo's class. Take Brad's or the like first.
Brad is on facebook somewhere.

IXL Dirt Bike School
Brad Collins
MSF Certified Rider Coach

Bill Dragoo, for bigger bikes.
well, i cant post the link yet.
search for Bill Dragoo, mostly BMWs, but does train for all larger bikes, like 650 size.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I took her out on some desert trails today. Didn't die! Actually failed to even get her stuck. I did lay her on her side once, but it was when I stopped wrong in some DEEP dune sand. Picked her back up, started her, and rode off. Since she is 22years old with only 750 miles, I figure today's 38 miles mostly off road was a good refresher for her.

The front felt loose at times in the really soft stuff, but she dug her way out of everything. Wish I had run into another dirt biker out there to get some tips (I was on some popular trails), but oh well. Maybe next time. I did learn to sit more forward on the seat though.

Nice thing is filling her up on the way back (paranoid about the little tank since my DL650 has a 5gal tank) cost me less than $2. no bad for all the fun I had. Some pics for you all since I know a pic is worth a 1000 words!

20180318_111116.jpg I had to get off the trails a bit. She loved the open desert.
20180318_123148.jpg Guess I made a new friend somewhere along the way.
20180318_123537[1].jpg Cheap fun!
20180313_183748[1].jpg Like the child of my normal bike.
20180313_183814.jpg So small in comparison!
The white bike is the one I would love to be able to get out on those trails, but the weight and height is too much for a novice like me and sand flat out kills her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts