TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I am now a "real" member of the forum. I bought a 2008 TW200 off of Craigslist, and will drive up to Washington to pick it up next Thursday. I am not new to two wheel riding. My first experience was a Schwinn Whizzer motorbike when I was a kid. It was old and hardly ever ran. Then I had a DKW (125cc). Later, I had a BSA (can't remember the model) when I was in the Marine Corps. In my early 20s, I became a police officer and rode a HD for three of my six years. I crashed badly, which ended my police career. After that there were various bikes, but nothing that I thought were anything more than play-with-in-the-garage toys. Then when I was in my early seventies, I got a V-Star 1100 for cruising. At that age, crossing the Cascades was too much for my aging body - freeze at 5000 feet and dehydrate in the high desert.

But, still missing two wheels, I decided on the TW200 last year and finally did it yesterday. I will load it it on the hitch carrier that I ordered from Amazon for my RAM pickup, and may not ever register it for the highway. It has no accessories. It was owned by the guy's wife who lost interest after 700 miles. So, it will be fun outfitting it to take me to some more remote area for fly fishing that I can no long hike to. Next year, I will turn eighty, so I think this is my last motorcycle!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the forum as well. You will enjoy how easy these bikes are to ride.

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tom. I have learned a lot from the forum, so I am looking forward to participating. I am planning on adding some hand guards and a rear rack. I have ordered a new helmet; a Fly Trekker. The additional things may soon exceed what I paid for the bike.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Thanks, Tom. I have learned a lot from the forum, so I am looking forward to participating. I am planning on adding some hand guards and a rear rack. I have ordered a new helmet; a Fly Trekker. The additional things may soon exceed what I paid for the bike.

Jerry
The goodies add up that's for sure. Sounds like you are purchasing useful items to expand on the bikes capabilities. Smart man. As you are aware, we are optically stimulated so pictures are always welcomed. Congratulations again!

Tom

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
AspenMeadow (Jerry), you say that you are driving up to Washington next Thursday to pick up this bike.....we have a large contingent of TW riders up here in Washington, and....we "may" know the history of that bike.

At the very least...if you tell me WHERE you are picking the bike up at, I would be most happy to meet you somewhere close....buy you lunch....bend your ear about all things TW, and offer some sound advice of the do's and don'ts of buying accessories.

I'm not quite as old as you, but I have been retired for 14 years, and am available 93.14159 % of the time.

Just send me a PM, (private message) I will meet with you, buy you lunch, explain anything in lief about the TW you may have questions about, and send you on your way back to OR-E-GON with a head filled with TW knowledge.

Mike...Olympia area
OH COME ON MAN! Are you on a mission to make the rest of us look like poop? You are doing a fine job of it either way. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tom

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well, I am now a "real" member of the forum. I bought a 2008 TW200 off of Craigslist, and will drive up to Washington to pick it up next Thursday.
Aspenmeadow, are you aware that if you are caught in Washington with a TW, you are required to be wearing a Hickory shirt....new law.... :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what the hell is a Hickory Shirt?

Incidentally, I just moved from Langley to Chiloquin, OR. Big change! I was in Langley for 23 years, then I tired of rain, cloudy skies, and being cold. Love it here, and the fishing is great. Have not yet sold my house there, but it is on the market. When it sells, I will sell my business, Northsound Insurance. And, I want your white front fender. My 2008 is black.

jerry

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
janie and suspenders 1452.JPG

Incidentally, I just moved from Langley to Chiloquin, OR. Big change! I was in Langley for 23 years, then I tired of rain, cloudy skies, and being cold. Love it here, and the fishing is great. Have not yet sold my house there, but it is on the market. When it sells, I will sell my business, Northsound Insurance. And, I want your white front fender. My 2008 is black.

Aspen, this is a hickory shirt short sleeve. They come with long sleeves also. 100 percent cotton, very durable and comfortable.

jerry
Don't know how I got between your message and your name Jerry. Anyway, it is a shirt that has just caught the eye of many of our riders. Hard to see but they are blue and white striped. Here in the northwest is is like a uniform along with the suspenders. If you notice the pair I have on have TW200 RIDERS printed on them.

·
Registered
20,472 Posts
Welcome AspenMeadow. We joke about the Hickory logger's shirt which Randall ( plumbstraight) is wearing as the new TW fashion statement. As a matter of fact we joke about darn near everything here until someone honestly seeks help. Then we try to assist as best we can.

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
OH COME ON MAN! Are you on a mission to make the rest of us look like poop? You are doing a fine job of it either way. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tom
He only does it 93.14159 % of the time .......

Where do those "Randall Handles attach ? - I'm assuming it's somewhere under the seat at each side, front and back ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, that's the old logger's shirt. I have Carhart logger's pants with the suspender buttons (mine are red too!), which i really like to wear when I am squatting and bending, but never owned the Hickory Shirt. I didn't know they were called that.

I want to thank you for going with Mike to look at that bike I am buying. That could save me from making a 400 mile trip.

Jerry

·
Registered
172 Posts
Jerry you picked an excellent place to retire. I love Oregon east of Hwy 97. My family drives south on 97 to visit relatives a couple times per year. I would assume that you have already eaten at Melita's out on the highway? Go if you haven't yet. Great food and staff. And the Williamson and Sprague Rivers are a couple of my most coveted fishing destinations. Be sure to go visit the Modoc Caverns just south of you in Tulelake. They are absolutely stunning. And on the way there you will pass by two old internment camps that operated during WWII. One for Japanese and the other for mixed groups of Europeans we mistrusted. Mostly Germans and Italians. While you are there you may as well go a couple miles east of Tulelake and see the spot where the only Japanese fire balloon took lives in the US killing most of a family out for a picnic in the woods. North of you is the Silver Lake rd between 97 and the town of Silver Lake. Splendid drive through the marsh and up into the hills. Keep going east and stop to see Big Hole and Hole In The Ground. Visit the area around Christmas Valley. I really enjoy that place. Lastly, ride the old military grade up to Winter Rim from Summer Lake. The contrasting landscapes in that area are nearly unique in this world. Plus there is great riding and beautiful forest just south of Winter Rim. Ok. Thats it. I cant tell you all of my secret places. Enjoy yourself and be safe. Congratulations on the new to you bike. Use it to scout out some more of your great state and pass your knowledge on to the rest of us here. Cheers

Modoc Caverns

IMG_0885.jpg

·
Registered
20,472 Posts
Yes, the Randall Handalls are a new safety feature better than conventional seat belts and more affordable than airbags. Available in both elastic webbing for the Whoop-de-Doos and fixed length to hold hill climbers firmly in place.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yes, the Randall Handalls are a new safety feature better than conventional seat belts and more affordable than airbags. Available in both elastic webbing for the Whoop-de-Doos and fixed length to hold hill climbers firmly in place.
lol, now what kind of yarn you trying to pull on a brother Fred? It is kinda hard on the bottom though when you are slammed back in the seat.

·
Registered
546 Posts

jerry
You mean you were in Langley with a TW and I never got to ride with you? :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts