TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this last year as a complete basket case minus engine. Spent the cold Wisconsin winter restoring her to better then new. This was a one year only bike from Rupp and is considered "The holy grail" of the Rupp bikes.

100_1967.JPG
100_1964.JPG 100_1961.JPG

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Brigs & Stratton with a cv clutch, correct? Very nice! And with that carb & pipe must go good.

I used to have a minibike as a kid with a B&S engine. Took the governor off & then it would throw the rod... I did not understand the relationship of rpm's and exploding engines as a youngster, but after doing that a few times it was finally explained to me... m.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My first new 2 wheeled motor bike was a Montgomery Ward mini bike, loan financed by Mom and Dad. $154.99. Took forever to pay it off. Lots of fond memories exploring the fields and the Town water works across the road from the house. All that on 3hp. Bad brakes and under powered. Sound familiar?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I had a similar minibike. My dad clocked it at 30mph on his motorcycle. It was fun. Great brake on the back (ha ha). I think it rubbed the tire to slow you down if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started out 46 years ago on a minibike. My Dad bought me a used and well beaten 1969 Rupp Roadster. I learned many a valuable skill wrenching on that thing as a kid. Skills I still use today. My older Cousin bought one of these brand new in the spring of 1971. He was the coolest kid around on that thing. I never forgot that bike in all my years. At the age of 55 I happened across what was left of one on Craigslist and I had to have it. Spent way to much restoring it.
But you know what... it was all worth it, every penny. Every time I sit on it, I'm that 9 year old kid back in 1971 all over again.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
What a beautiful labor or of love. Congrats.

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
And I though a proper mini-bike had only a metal shoe pressing against rear tire as a form of braking other than dragging one's tennis shoes. How else is the rider supposed to scrape the mud off the tire?:D mini.jpg

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
That looks like the very first bike I crashed!:eek:
That ain't know lie 'cept mine was red and had a Montgomery Ward 5hp motor. I woke up on one side of the tree and the mini-bike on the other. Somehow I passed out going over a jump (1 foot):rolleyes: and never did hit that tree. Didn't wake up until mom & dad picked me up. I assume I was "sleeping" for a while as no one was outside or nearby when said jump & sleepiness occurred.

Not hurt but I had to wear a helmet after that. I was 11 or 12 when this happened.

See mom, I turned out ok!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts