TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I bought my 2020 TW last week and an getting closer to the recommended break in miles.

I am riding almost exclusively on secondary back roads, 30-45 MPH, I do hit some 55 MPH one's in the current ride area.

I am at about 780' above SL, been damn hot and humid, mid 90's 98% humidity.

Should I stick with the stock jet and air mixture setting for this elevation and type of riding?

Running 18lb F&R cold, non-ethanol 87 gas.
I would like a little more top end without the high rpm's, so I was looking for suggestions on sprockets also.

This bike will NEVER be on the Interstate.

Mods done so far.

I have added the oil cooler, cleaned out the screen where the filter goes, also drained out the crankcase and get a little metal out as expected.
USB charger port.
Brake light flasher, LED brake light.
Blue LED Speedo light.
Brush guards.

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts
Nicely done so far bro. I'd say all you need to do is open up the air fuel mixture screw to about two and a half turns out from gently seated and then fine tune it from there. You could put a 15 tooth sprocket on the front or 47 tooth sprocket on the rear and I think you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, I'll look at getting to that screw tomorrow, I have a sprocket in cart for checkout.

I want to get a Jimbo screen, a LED headlight and a rear rack when I can finally decide on one.

Also, what's the typical lifespan of the factory chain?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
OEM chain is pure junk....get rid of it ASAP.
Get a QUALITY o-ring or x-ring chain....keep it clean and lubed and it should last 10,000.
I would hold off on re-jetting for now; get to learn the bike and if you still think you want (fractionally) more HP out of it in a couple of months, then re-jet.
Use quality synthetic oil....keep your air filter clean and freshly oiled...install a fuel filter...check your chain and sprockets weekly...use only ethanol-free gas and it should last until at least 30,000 miles before needing anything major.

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts
Jimbo Shields are cool, you'll like it. Before you get too many more miles on it, I would invest in a O-ring or X-Ring chain and put it on along with the new sprocket.

Reactions: grewen

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts
As TW in BC suggests don't rejet it, in fact you may not need it to re-jet it at all given how you stated you use it and at what altitude.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i guess i am the lone wolf once again. one of the first things i did to my 2020 was to rejet, it starts without the choke and runs great, it did gain some power, but only because it is now not starving. 1 up on the pilot and main jets and 1 washer under the needle, turn the idle screw out 1 3/4 turns. $23 from yamaha, no fancy kits costing $80. i would think at your altitude this would be ideal. i also ride like you described and found the 15 tooth front sprocket change to be great, still lots of low end and it is happier at 55-60

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, got the plug out, air screw was 1.75 turns out, in, then out 2.5.

Going for a ride this eve to test and adjust as needed.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The 2½ turns is a starting point. You may find that it runs better at 2...or less.
I set mine to 2½ but then cranked it in to about 1¾ where it runs best. Maybe as the weather cools over Autumn, I might have to crank it back out to 2 again....it is a DYNAMIC setting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I bought my 2020 TW last week and an getting closer to the recommended break in miles.

I am riding almost exclusively on secondary back roads, 30-45 MPH, I do hit some 55 MPH one's in the current ride area.

Should I stick with the stock jet and air mixture setting for this elevation and type of riding?

I would like a little more top end without the high rpm's, so I was looking for suggestions on sprockets also.

Mods done so far.

I have added the oil cooler, cleaned out the screen where the filter goes, also drained out the crankcase and get a little metal out as expected.
USB charger port.
Blue LED Speedo light.
Brush guards.
Jet it , when I got my jet only one place made it out of Oregon. But it helped a lot with the lower altitude and after I put the exhaust on and k&n it seem like I got a few more miles an hour without it wrapping out too high, I definitely didn’t have the lien pop anymore. Now I’m back up to 5800 feet and I’m wishing I had the stock jet back in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still messing with the air mixture, ordered a 15 front and a 42 rear sprockets.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Mods done so far.

USB charger port.
Blue LED Speedo light.
Brush guards.
I agree with the suggestions so far. Factory jetting is typically on the lean side in recent years so any elevation will theoretically richen it up a bit, so I would guess you're probably optimal to at least 5000'. This is, of course, if you still have the factory pipe and air intake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts