TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

New TW fork

13K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  joedirt1970 
Looks good Josh, looks like my idea worked, Do you still need pics of the XT200 caps?

BTW for those of you with front drums, the same mod can be made with XT200 forks which are very similar in dimension to the RT forks, except they are setup for drums.

PS Josh: If it still doesn't work after new RT caliper, you may need the RT or XT rotor

I think the forks will add about 1.5" of ride height (not counting sag). Tough to say until the bike is back on the ground. Hopefully this will give me better front in suspension and level the bike out. Here is a shot of the bike form the side. Keep in mind I'm sporting a 3" lengthened swingarm, and banshee rear shock with a spacer and v-star rear spring. Lengthening the swingarm made the rear suspension so much more active I needed to play with the front.

More pics of the 7? I'll have to dig around for those. I've been lagging on building the seat bottom and reviting in a plate for the anit-sub strap.

Josh

Can't wait for the test report, have you thought about a custom fork spring rate?

sweet, 35mm forks in stock triples. Did you finally get the brake working properly? did you go with air caps or stock? I would get springs match directly to your weight.

What was the problem with the speedo routing? It should be on the same side as TW forks.

Did you have to shim rotor to get caliper to line up?

Anyone with drum brakes can do a similar mod, just substitute the rt fork for xt200 units and bore the triples the same way as Josh did, but remember Josh's bike also has a slight rear lift as well.

"Brake is now fixed, good stopping power, and didn't have to shim it. Used a rt180 caliper."

Do you mean an RT180 ROTOR? or does the TW rotor work with the rt180 caliper?

bummer about the speedo cable, I was hoping that would work, You'd think it would work because it works on a rt180/dt200 bike (however that is routed) Or are you trying to use a TW speedo drive with RT forks instead?

Rotor: tw200 disk and 97 RT180 disk are the same. Didn't figure that out until I bought one off ebay. At least I paid less than $10 with shipping. Live and learn.

For the speedo, I was using tw speedo cable and tw gear (or whatever you call that thing attached to the front hub).

Josh

that's probably part of the problem, maybe a rt180 style gear would work? although I'm not sure if they're blanked for the RT, I know the early style rt (gear on the right) gear is blanked(unmachined).

As an update to the RT180 fork swap:

Just got back from Death Valley trip the combination of the rt180 fork legs, extended swingarm/banshee shock/v-star spring and spacer exceeded my expectations. The bike is awesome in the dirt. I was a little worried I'd bottom out the front suspension because it seemed so plush in the initial part of stroke, but that didn't occur. This was my first real world test of the suspension. The bike now feels like my ttr250, lots of fun and great for floating through sand.

Josh

Glad to hear it, I knew those would be the right fork....and Yes when I researched it, they seemed to be the shortest possible leading axle fork that would still fit the stock triples with only minor bore modifications, so yes, they can be slipped up a bit for near stock ride height (they are approx and inch longer than stock TW)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.