TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working out of town through the quarantine (essential work on a grocery store’s refrigeration system), Idaho released the lock down. So it only seemed logical to get a tw. Went into Snake River Yamaha in Meridian, Idaho, to inquire about one. 30 minutes later, I was riding it off the lot. I have never had a faster titled purchase in my life. Only issue is I am an Oregon resident. Our dmv is closed still. Then there is a tax stamp required, as I bought a new vehicle out of state. I will be on trip permits for a while it seems.

The bike is a 2020 model, had 1 mile on the odo. I paid roughly $4700 to the dealer, I paid the 0.5% tax to Oregon revenue dept ($23), and $80 to the dmv. Not bad for an impulse buy.

I have a rear rack and a shinko 241 front tire on order.

As I plan on going remote a lot, is there any basic tools to supplement the factory kit?

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
(y)(y). Congratulations!

Tools? Depends on how much you want to carry , and are capable of carrying. So this is a very subjective subject. Some like to be prepared for a long list of potential repairs but the more weight the less nimble the bike becomes with a greater probability of premature rider fatigue.

My first remote issues with a new TW were rear tire punctures. I've pursued aerosol canned replacement air, CO2 cartridges, slow riding with a flat , or my current favorite is a small air compressor to supply make-up air as needed for a ride out of the woods. For me fixing a flat trailside seems to take too many tools with too much chance of something going wrong leaving rider in an even worse situation.

For flat prevention I highly recommend adding RideOn sealant/balancer.

A new OEM chain will stretch surprisingly fast and a poorly adjusted one can de-rail and get bound up around front or rear sprockets occasionally requiring removal of left side cover or chain guard. A 8mm 1/4 drive socket plus extension plus ratchet , or good shoes to walk out will be required. A hammer was once needed to pound a buddy's stuck chain from a wrap around the drive sprocket. Not many carry a ball peen hammer around every ride but fortunately my friend did. So another impulse buy of a quality O-ring, or X-ring chain is a good idea that will greatly reduce chain stretch and chance of de-railment.

One can't be prepared for every repair so alternate solutions sometimes are needed...calling for help, waiting for help,
not riding alone, or walking out all have their merit. I learned decades ago that walking miles in motocross boots is no fun so am a fan of comfortable adventure boots.

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
Welcome to the board …

First thing to do is make sure the factory tool kit is actually there – often, it’s not (shout at the dealer)

In terms of additional bits and pieces, you’ll need a set of feeler gauges for the valves, and two torque wrenches – one low range, the other high range. With the torque values on this bike ranging from 5Nm to 100Nm, I’ve never found one that could cover them all

Most of the screws on the bike are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), and a set of drivers is cheap enough to warrant getting. They may look like posi-drive, but you’ll quickly find out they aren’t. In the event you have the crankcase held on by hex head bolts rather than screws (which is likely), a simple socket set goes a long way (plus a simple ring spanner to keep on the bike)

Other than that, a spare fuse or two can save embarrassment – easy to carry, and easy to overlook …..

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
If Eralov is "going remote alot" I'm not sure he needs to be carrying two torque wrenches all the time 😏

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, good ideas all. Sometimes I do bring the truck if traveling over 30miles on the highway, so extra large items is doable, so far I haven’t gone too far that a few hour walk would not have been okay. Next weekend, a buddy with a ural and I are going camping, so we will see how remote we get!

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the responses, good ideas all. Sometimes I do bring the truck if traveling over 30miles on the highway, so extra large items is doable, so far I haven’t gone too far that a few hour walk would not have been okay. Next weekend, a buddy with a ural and I are going camping, so we will see how remote we get!
Pictures and a ride report, or it didn't happen!
Welcome aboard

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little 20 mile trip today, playing in the snake river canyons park on the north side of the river near twin falls Idaho. For some reason, my passenger didn’t want to attempt the jump of the snake river from evil kneivels intended landing site. We did truck the bike there, so it was an honest 20 miles of trails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently we use a talk about radio with an app for texting, the inreach is in discussion. We leave the radio and a paired phone with our truck, and let friends know where it is. Problem is it only works after we aren’t back.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

+1 on ditching the factory chain. It barely makes a good circular fort for a Dung Beetle.

Some on here have had good luck with the original with extensive chain maintenance. Power to them! Mine seemed to need adjustment every few rides.

Marty

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might need the tools for your buddy’s Ural! He can carry them in the side-car.
Welcome to the world of T-dubs. Seems like you are in a place to take full advantage of its potential. Enjoy!

·
Registered
60 Posts
"First thing to do is make sure the factory tool kit is actually there – often, it’s not (shout at the dealer) "

This is very true. I bought a new 2019 on May 27. At the time the bike did not have either the owner's manual or the factory toolkit.

Just called them the dealership now for an update. They have the owner's manual, but still no toolkit - and it is apparently back-ordered for at least another 2 or 3 weeks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luckily I have the toolkit (saved my bacon when the wife dumped it and realigned the hand controls). And the dealer actually gave us 2 manuals. Since they only had two in stock, I gave the second one back as I felt for the next guy.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
I prefer the Service Manual over the Owners Manual since Service Manual actually tells one how to effect repairs. Owners Manual focuses more on sending the owner back to the dealer when anything needs attention at usually over $100/hr .
Free downloadable Service Manual is available or paper copies may be purchased. Search feature here will reveal a link to the downloadable manuals ( 2, a main manual and a supplement covering changes for new generation TWs).

Reactions: Eralov

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I prefer the Service Manual over the Owners Manual since Service Manual actually tells one how to effect repairs. Owners Manual focuses more on sending the owner back to the dealer when anything needs attention at usually over $100/hr .
Free downloadable Service Manual is available or paper copies may be purchased. Search feature here will reveal a link to the downloadable manuals ( 2, a main manual and a supplement covering changes for new generation TWs).
thanks I’ll give those a look!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pictures and a ride report, or it didn't happen!
Welcome aboard

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
The camping trip was postponed until next weekend. Exploring E Oregon se of Ontario

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the world of Tdubs.

There is a lot of great trail riding east and west sides of the Owyhee river and lake. Endless trails. Much better when the temps are lower. Spring and fall are particularly good.

The Owyhees in Idaho also have lots to offer. Might went to bring extra gallon of fuel if riding in the desert regions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next weekend we are touring the owyhee lake area, camping and some riding

Reactions: oldworld 124
1 - 20 of 21 Posts