TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2009 TW200 with under 2500 miles today. The bike looks and runs perfect! I pick it up next week. I test rode it in the pouring rain on pavement and a very wet field and the bike felt very stable with those bigger tires! I felt I could go anywhere with it!
What mods are out there for them? I'm going to run it stock for awhile, but might consider doing a few mods sometime. Are there aftermarket exhaust? Different air intake options? Carb jetting, carb options? I heard there might be a big bore kit for them too. Im probably not going that crazy with it, I want to keep it reliable. A aftermarket rear and maybe front rack. I will definitely put hand guards on. Any other ideas? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
The best advice I can give you - is to learn the bike, and adjust your riding accordingly

And the first thing you need to establish, is if the bike still has a stock front tire - if so, change it now (before it changes you) .....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just keep engine stock, engine mods wont do much imo. A rear rack(cyclerack or manracks) are a good start. Skidplate, bigger foot pegs. Bar protectors. A better seat(seatconcepts) are among the most common mods.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I defiantly put hand guards on. Now I definitely can't live without them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any good service manuals out there? I'll be doing a service when I get it home (oil & filter change, fuel filter, spark plug, air filter clean or replace).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be adding hand guards, skid plate, what's a good front tire? I'll be riding mostly dirt roads and trails. I used to race hare scrambles, enduros and still compete in vintage trials. I will be doing a service on it when I get it home. Oil & filter change, spark plug, air filter.
image.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
The best thing you can do for the TW is proper carb tuning. Unless the previous owner worked on the carb it is going to be too lean. There is a lot of info here on what to do. I had no experience with carb tuning but the great advise offered here has made a huge difference in my bike’s performance. The Shinko 241 is also a big improvement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will defiantly look at carb tuning, the bike felt lean and was cold blooded when first started. I think the previous owner left it stock. The rear tire looked newer and it has short foldable clutch and front brake levers. I'll have to see what brand the tires are when I get it home.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm defiant when it comes to carb tuning too. When the day comes I need it, I'll definitely look into it.

Sorry, can't help myself. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi. And an asshole. When I misspell stuff it's generally on purpose to achieve a redneck twang to muh spellin' y'all.
Don't take it personal. I'm a humor hyena sniffin' the air for an easy meal to steal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
And congrats on finding your TW. Mods are nearly as addicting as riding. Every time I add something I feel like one of them gay fellers on Queer Eye after they turn a redneck into a preppie. Well maybe not that excited, but yeah.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm defiant when it comes to carb tuning too. When the day comes I need it, I'll definitely look into it.

Sorry, can't help myself. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi. And an asshole. When I misspell stuff it's generally on purpose to achieve a redneck twang to muh spellin' y'all.
Don't take it personal. I'm a humor hyena sniffin' the air for an easy meal to steal.
It's defiantly auto spell cheek!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had to disable the spell check on my phone. My wife was getting all kinds of mixed messages. She has yet to do it to hers, I don't know what the hell she's saying.

Auto spell cheek. Haha. You're awesome.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I'm not having any luck finding information on retting my TWs carb.
Many, many pages on that here.
Use the Search feature.
And "related subject" threads provided at bottom of pages.
GREAT carb photo pages & tuning advice by member " jbfla " and others...but especially jb!

A good source for jets, etc. is Partzilla...but there are many others.

Have fun!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Find the "Qwerty" posts, he has a jetting discussion all laid out for you. All depends on your "sea-level" situation and how you want to ride it. At about 750 - 1000 above, slinging it around on rough back roads, with 50-55 as the preferred sweet spot for "riding with traffic", I'm using a stock front sprocket with a 45 rear, 2 1/2 turns out, 2 or 3 needle washers, 134 main, and one size up pilot jet. Never too rich, certainly not lean. Also long time believer in the 244 Golden Boy (the smaller one) on Dual Sports, particularly the TW.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry, bad memory: 130 main, 34 pilot, 3rd groove on needle.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have never had any trouble with 4 different TWs.... and all I ever do is ride, wash and maintain them....carbs....fine....front tire fine.....no kick starter....not so fine....seat removal... annoying...others like to make things better....not me....if something is not broke, I leave it alone....:)

In Washington State it is possible to ride at sea level and at 7000' in the same day, same in Alaska or California or probably any other State with a seashore and a coastal mountain range …..the dealer set the carbs for my area and I don't touch them...

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts