TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding street bikes and quads my whole life, for a early 50th birthday present to myself I bought a 2017 TW200 with only 21 miles on it. I had no idea what I was missing out from. These little dual sports are a blast to ride. So I have put about 100 miles on it and changed the oil. Bought tank and rear Wolfman bags for it and now want to fine tune the bike. I am not looking to mod this bike up, just looking to get it running the best it can. I have read a lot of forums were people are writing in saying these bikes run lean from the factory. That is the case with mine, I think I will start with poping out the fuel air adjustment screw cap and setting it to 2 1/2 turns. Any other subjecting would be appreciated.

Very excited to hit the trails this year on this thing, I live in Michigan and I would love to get some feedback on the National forest trails in Manistee.

Thanks, look forward to learning from you all and sharing my own experiences.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome. Good start. I fattened my '99 up a lot, uncorked the pipe, K&N filter, bigger main jet. Sure it can go 10 MPH faster than my wife's stock 2012, and wheelie, but my fuel eco suffers, 45 to 50 to her 70-75 MPG. It is nice and loud too, up in the hills friends say it sounds like a CRF-450 brapping around. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Welcome, congrats, and happy birthday. Adjusting the mixture should improve the lean condition. Here in the Midwest we don’t have the extra challenge of significant altitude changes like the mountain riders.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...have fun!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not attempting hijack thread, but another new owner here. 2004 with 900 miles. Someone tried to "cafe" it with a round headlight and a few other hacks. I just got it all back to stock, oil changed, new plug, cleaned air filter and looking good ready to ride!

I heard mention of tires, what's the consensus for mostly off-road?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I heard mention of tires, what's the consensus for mostly off-road?
For most people who are not going to ride really aggressively (like Fred), the OEM rear and a Shinko 241 front will do nicely. If you like to get real muddy a more knobby front like the Kenda 760 Trackmaster might be a choice. Since I ride rocky trails most of the time the 241 is perfect and is quiet on pavement.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got the 241 on the rear of my CT90 and was thinking something a little more aggressive, however the 760 looks savage and maybe too agro. Anyone run the Michelin T63, or Michelin anything on the TW?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Get rid of that front tire - and change it for a Shinko 241 - that's the one thing that can't wait ......
I would put an X Ring chain on before replacing the front tire. I put 7k miles on stock front tire and it only threw me off once!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Talk to me, X Ring chain?

I'm fairly new to the "powered" bikes world, so forgive the green.

I would put an X Ring chain on before replacing the front tire. I put 7k miles on stock front tire and it only threw me off once!

·
Super Moderator
4,862 Posts
The stock chain is the cheapest, and comes with “vulnerabilities” – eg it’s crap. There are people on here (mentioning no names) who purport to get tens of thousands of miles out of the original – presumably by constantly taking it off, cleaning it, lubing it and adjusting it ad infinitum. If you want a high maintenance item that costs as much in lube as a new chain – game on

An X ring chain, is the low maintenance, low adjustment, low lube alternative, as the “rubber X” seals keep the grit from getting into the chain and wearing it down from the inside. You still have to lube it occasionally to prevent wear from the sprockets on the outside, but on the whole, it takes the hassle out of looking after your chain

Less wear means less adjustment – less unsealed gaps to the interior of the chain means less need for lube and cleaning – which all equates to more riding time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ring_chain

·
Super Moderator
4,862 Posts
Any tire that throws you off "once" is trying to tell you something - "once" is all it takes .........

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you all, mucho appreciated! Coming from "bikes" I understand the chain convo/suggestion, it does make sense.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome and congrats to both of you :) You will love the TW. And I would concur, if you are going off road then change out the front tire. I went with the 244 in a 5.10 and love it, but I have heard good things about the 241 as well. Another couple of really nice and cheap mods if you are going to be going off road are larger foot pegs, which are flat out wonderful and so much more sure and comfortable, and then put some bar risers on. Just these three will make your off road experience a lot more enjoyable, and really they are all relatively cheap.
Have fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got the TW plated yesterday and then day I rode all over the place and found a few dirt service roads running next to the Clinton river I also tested it up and down mound road (50mph) and found a massive closed industrial park in Pontiac that was a blast to ride around. It was more then just my ordinary motorcycle ride, it was like an adventure. I can take this bike places I would never even dare to take my 1500cc Nomad cruiser. I told the wife when I left that I would be right back, I just want to test the bike out a little.... Well 3 hours later and almost 80 miles put on my new TW I pulled back into the garage with a big old smile on my face. I am hooked on these TWs. She is still all stock, I did put in the Wolfman tank and tail bags on along with a Maddog seat pad. I am going to order the larger foot pegs and bar risers tonight on line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it’s been a little over a month sense I brought home my new TW, I put on 645 miles on it pretty fast, got it good and dirty a couple times trail riding. Being it only had 21 miles on it when I got it I tried to break her in correctly (600 mile brake-in). I just did the first oil change and replaced the filter and saw some very fine shavings in the filter in witch is to be expected in the first oil change. I have made the mods on it that I like (2” Tusk risers, 47 tooth rear sprocket, wider foot pegs, taped out Welch plug on the carb and tuned the carb, put a seat pad on, hand guards and new grips. Picked up some wolfman luggage and packed up a useable tool bag to stay on the bike......And my verdict on the TW200 is....,.,I love it, I really did not think I would like riding it as much as I do but it truly is a blast to ride. I look forward to possibly getting involved in some rides this summer/fall. I am so glad I found the TW forum, between this website and Tdubskids videos on YouTube I was able to set up my bike quick and easy. Just wanted to give an update on my TW200 new ownership experience and to say thanks for all the info this site and it’s members have given a newbie.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts