TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the TW200 and new to motorcycles in general but I'm really excited to get into it and start learning. I live on Oahu so I'm mostly gonna use it for cruising on the perimeter trails around Kahuku and on the streets in the North Shore. I just bought a 2014 from the dealer with 0 miles on it. I read through the owners manual a few times cover to cover and then I took it for a few rides this weekend. Ive been checking the oil level before and after every ride. It might have gone down a little after the first couple (been kinda excited about it so taking it out a couple times a day) but after i brought it back home tonight the oil level looks completely empty.

Did i do something wrong? was i supposed to change oil sooner? manual says change after 600 mi. Also, there's no oil spilling out of the engine anywhere, is it possible it could burn that much when its new? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thank yoU!!

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

Gas mileage and oil consumption will suffer a little until the engine gets broken in. This can take up to 2000 miles before you notice everything stabilizing. Keep close watch on the oil just as you are doing. You should not wait until the 600 mile check to change the oil. Do it early and often throughout your break in period. You will extend the life of your bike tremendously if you do. For instance: Oil change at 50 miles, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000. Since it only holds a little over a quart and oil is cheap, this is a great way to get a lot of mileage out of your bike. Your bike will love you for it. And again, Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks for the info littletommy and RBM. I'll make sure to change the oil out now anyway cause I definitely want my engine to last as long as possible. And I'll check it again tomorrow morning, with the bike standing up right, because I was checking it while it was on the kick stand.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
To add to what rbm has mentioned, if you have it leaned to far over (to the right), the oil might fill up the whole sight glass making you think there's nothing in there. Also with new oil, it can be harder to see the level. You may try leaning the TW slowly left and right to make sure you see the oil. Once you got that, then you can check it with the TW straight up & down.

Without any obvious leaks on the outside of the engine, and sounds like you've been checking it ok, I think you got it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Warm it up for 7 minutes...shut it off...use some wood scraps under kick stand to make it level. Wait 3 minutes ,then check your oil level through the sight window with bike level handle bars straight. Make sure oil level is in between both marks

·
Registered
19,197 Posts
Welcome 808tdub. As others have mentioned you possibly mis-read oil level and things should be OK. You can always hold the bike nice and vertical to check oil level by leaning handlebar up against a convenient palm tree. Wish I had a convenient palm tree.:p Aloha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the info and for welcoming me! Ill try that palm tree thing, haha. I'm off work in a few hours so ill shoot out a quick update on it when I get home. Thanks

·
Registered
19,197 Posts
When changing the oil please know that the wet clutches of motorcycles benefit from the correct oil which contains special additives for the clutch plates. It has been said to run petroleum based motorcycle oil for the break-in period, then change to a full synthetic afterwards..something like Mobil 4T. Why? The scuttlebutt is that full synthetics are so slippery they inhibit the scuffing/seating in of new rings in the cylinder thus delaying a proper breaking-in. Mobil4t, or it's equivalent, often improve clutch and shifting feel as an added benefit.

Do you have a service manual? If not someone can post a link for a free downloadable PDF version just full of helpful how-to instructions for the proper care and feeding of your new machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I ran through the warm up process and set the bike up straight and it looked all good. Not low at all. I also went through the oil change process so I can get more familiar with the bike. I bought the yamalube 10w40 when I got the bike so hopefully that's an ok one to use at this point in the engine break in process. Thanks again everybody!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum and lucky you on Oahu !!! Did you buy this in Kaneohe by chance I think there's a dealer there ? I love the Windward side / Northshore and I've thought of keeping a TW in storage so I can ride when I visit :)

re oil since it's always 78 to 82 degrees on Oahu that's very easy on oil and the TW motor so in my opinion you don't need to worry about the oil for the amount islanders ride

·
Registered
807 Posts
When changing the oil please know that the wet clutches of motorcycles benefit from the correct oil which contains special additives for the clutch plates.
Not true, if it was someone would be selling an additive you could add to any oil to make it safe for wet clutches. There are 2 things that make any particular oil a "motorcycle" oil. 1) The auto oil that an oil company wants to call a "motorcycle" oil is tested to make sure its wet clutch safe as per JASO. That test is a simple friction test. 2) The oil company puts a picture of a motorcycle on the bottle. I guess there is a third.................they increase the price by 40% :)

Ok so I ran through the warm up process and set the bike up straight and it looked all good. Not low at all. I also went through the oil change process so I can get more familiar with the bike. I bought the yamalube 10w40 when I got the bike so hopefully that's an ok one to use at this point in the engine break in process. Thanks again everybody!
We just had a member change their oil with oil and filter bought from a dealer. The dealer sold them the WRONG filter which resulted in very loud screaching and possible engine damage. Did you already change your filter? If so, did you verify it was the correct filter? If you didnt pay attention and just changed the filter assuming because it came from a dealer it was correct..........take a couple minutes to take it back out to be sure.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Why change the filter? It's designed to be cleaned and re-used many times. That way you never have to worry about whether or not you have the right filter. I'm still using the original filter after about a dozen cleanings with kerosene at 11,500 miles and it still works like new. The only reason I would change it is because the rubber at either end becomes old and brittle and will not seal well. It doesn't feel that way yet, so I'm still using it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the forum and lucky you on Oahu !!! Did you buy this in Kaneohe by chance I think there's a dealer there ? I love the Windward side / Northshore and I've thought of keeping a TW in storage so I can ride when I visit :)

re oil since it's always 78 to 82 degrees on Oahu that's very easy on oil and the TW motor so in my opinion you don't need to worry about the oil for the amount islanders ride
Thanks PlacerLode, yeah I bought it from Dominico's in Kaneohe, great place. And yeah that drive around the Windward side to North Shore is super nice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@TWROG no I didn't change the filter, just cleaned it and put it back. But ill definitely make sure of that when I do get a new one. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
When changing the oil please know that the wet clutches of motorcycles benefit from the correct oil which contains special additives for the clutch plates. It has been said to run petroleum based motorcycle oil for the break-in period, then change to a full synthetic afterwards..something like Mobil 4T. Why? The scuttlebutt is that full synthetics are so slippery they inhibit the scuffing/seating in of new rings in the cylinder thus delaying a proper breaking-in. Mobil4t, or it's equivalent, often improve clutch and shifting feel as an added benefit.

Do you have a service manual? If not someone can post a link for a free downloadable PDF version just full of helpful how-to instructions for the proper care and feeding of your new machine.
Switched to Full Synthetic at 1300 miles as we were getting ready to head out on our Great Lakes trip....I believe Montezuma had about 900 or so on his when he switched....I used the Mobile 4T at about $9 a quart....probably will change oil and clean filter again before winter or around 3000 miles....

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
@TWROG no I didn't change the filter, just cleaned it and put it back. But ill definitely make sure of that when I do get a new one. Thanks!
If you have the medal stock oil filter there is no need to change...clean it and keep a spare. With over 2800 miles on my stock filter, it was looking as good as new when I change oil before the Upper Great Lakes trip....the medal ones that come stock are solid parts...

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Why change the filter? It's designed to be cleaned and re-used many times. That way you never have to worry about whether or not you have the right filter. I'm still using the original filter after about a dozen cleanings with kerosene at 11,500 miles and it still works like new. The only reason I would change it is because the rubber at either end becomes old and brittle and will not seal well. It doesn't feel that way yet, so I'm still using it.
What Rocky said ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts