TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just released our new headlight kit for the TW200. The kit includes the LED headlight as well as bolt in mounting bracket. Simple plug and play installation takes about 5 minutes. The light may look familiar but we're giving you the best deal we possibly can for a DOT approved LED headlight here at Tach Industries. TW200 DOT Approved L.E.D. Headlight Kit

Low beam only draws 18.477 watts and high beam at 31.239 watts leaving plenty of room for future accessories.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
I don’t want to rain on your parade here, but there are a few things you need to be aware of …

First up (and perhaps the most obvious), JNS already sells a “similar” product. https://www.jnsengineering.com/product/tw200-dot-led-headlight-kit/

Second up, an LED product will not work with an ’87 TW, which runs on an AC headlight circuit

Third up, we judge on performance rather than price, so some pics “at night” would not go amiss

Fourth up, the ’88 to 2k models have less stator output than the ’01 to present, so some information on Wattage would not go amiss at this point

Other than that

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t want to rain on your parade here, but there are a few things you need to be aware of …

First up (and perhaps the most obvious), JNS already sells a “similar” product. TW200 DOT LED Headlight Kit - JNS Engineering

Second up, an LED product will not work with an ’87 TW, which runs on an AC headlight circuit

Third up, we judge on performance rather than price, so some pics “at night” would not go amiss

Fourth up, the ’88 to 2k models have less stator output than the ’01 to present, so some information on Wattage would not go amiss at this point

Other than that

View attachment 213670
Perfect! Let's go one by one
1st up we are aware of their product and to be honest they use in our opinion the best 4x6 LED headlight on the market which is why we chose it as well. But we simplified our design from our original plan to keep the cost much lower and we are able to come in at $99.99 for our DOT kit which we hope will help us stand out a little bit.
2nd up on our website it does detail in the description that it will only fit 88-21 and specifically states that it will not work on 87 models.
3rd up Noted! I will update more pics as soon as the sun goes down tonight. Just wanted to get something posted as it has taken us forever to get this product ready to go.
4th up on the website it does show specifics on wattage as well.

5th up Thank You for the feedback. From here forward we will post complete descriptions to avoid any confusion and hopefully answer all questions on the first post.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
OK - looking good so far

On a recent comparison vid on Youtube, some of the Wattage values were questioned. They tended towards the lower range, which while is no reflection on your product which wasn't mentioned, did prove that some figures can be misleading

35W turned out to be 25W, 50W turned out to 35W - you get the idea

The thing is, that the '88 to 2k runs native at 35W - the 2k plus at 55W - so when you're adding this stuff up, it really counts

around the 9.10 mark

Manufacturers specs can be misleading, but suppliers can often be in a position to correct this - which on the face of that vid, may well work in your favour .....

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
No weight savings due to the heavy duty bracket. Factory weights 1.5lbs and our kit weights 2.2lbs.
No problem ..For some silly reason some of us ( me included ) seem to enjoy
Bolting extra weight to our Tdubs

Reactions: SEADUB200 and Fred

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Ooohhhhhh yes. ! ! !
Give us an aluminum two inch extended swingarm..
With lift spools.
For under $400
You will be on my Christmas card list for life ! ! !

Reactions: Kevinwa

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK - looking good so far

On a recent comparison vid on Youtube, some of the Wattage values were questioned. They tended towards the lower range, which while is no reflection on your product which wasn't mentioned, did prove that some figures can be misleading

35W turned out to be 25W, 50W turned out to 35W - you get the idea

The thing is, that the '88 to 2k runs native at 35W - the 2k plus at 55W - so when you're adding this stuff up, it really counts

around the 9.10 mark

Manufacturers specs can be misleading, but suppliers can often be in a position to correct this - which on the face of that vid, may well work in your favour .....
Power draw updated in original post. We just tested a 2017. Thank You

·
Registered
477 Posts
Already looks superior to the jns. I bought a jns and while the headlight itself is nice, their bracket was junk imo. The bracket barely fit on the bike, it wouldnt adjust up far enough to be useable and when i contacted jns about it they told be to bend the bottom tab which did nothing. After that nothing could be done and it just sits in a drawer at home. A waste of like 130 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
The original JNS seems fine on my '98,, but yes, there’s not a lot of wriggle room. PO’d they came out with the Mk2 since purchase, but hey, the Mk1 is easy enough to live with

With regards to the Tachindustries version, there are a couple of things that are a definite improvement, the first being the adjustability in the bracket, and the second is the wide rim around the light unit to block out the “back glare”. I think that in a competitive world, both are selling points, and mentioning them in the marketing may sway some customers

That’s also some fancy welding, done by machine I presume ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The original JNS seems fine on my '98,, but yes, there’s not a lot of wriggle room. PO’d they came out with the Mk2 since purchase, but hey, the Mk1 is easy enough to live with

With regards to the Tachindustries version, there are a couple of things that are a definite improvement, the first being the adjustability in the bracket, and the second is the wide rim around the light unit to block out the “back glare”. I think that in a competitive world, both are selling points, and mentioning them in the marketing may sway some customers

That’s also some fancy welding, done by machine I presume ?
Welding done by yours truly. We took out all the bending in the design as well and made a fixture to weld them up. Saves some setup time on the cnc brake and reduces our cost so we can come in at the price point we did.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Already looks superior to the jns. I bought a jns and while the headlight itself is nice, their bracket was junk imo. The bracket barely fit on the bike, it wouldnt adjust up far enough to be useable and when i contacted jns about it they told be to bend the bottom tab which did nothing. After that nothing could be done and it just sits in a drawer at home. A waste of like 130 bucks.
Now you can have a spare bulb for your new headlight kit

·
Registered
2021 TW200, first motorcycle
208 Posts
We just released our new headlight kit for the TW200. The kit includes the LED headlight as well as bolt in mounting bracket. Simple plug and play installation takes about 5 minutes. The light may look familiar but we're giving you the best deal we possibly can for a DOT approved LED headlight here at Tach Industries. TW200 DOT Approved L.E.D. Headlight Kit

Low beam only draws 18.477 watts and high beam at 31.239 watts leaving plenty of room for future accessories.

View attachment 213664
I'll be ordering one when I get back from St Thomas. Excellent work.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
450 Posts
we are able to come in at $99.99 for our DOT kit which we hope will help us stand out a little bit.
How do members here take advantage of your introductory pricing ($99.99?) It is not reflected on your website. Thanks.

Reactions: Westieterrier
1 - 20 of 63 Posts