TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Some toothpaste on a wet rag will clean up a hazy headlight in just a couple minutes. It's not perfect repair but it sure beats those "headlight restore kits". I used to use the kits to fix them for customers but a little old lady was watching me one day and said why don't you use the toothpaste trick? Thought it was stupidest thing i ever heard, but i tried it anyway and the kits went in the trash.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've tried toothpaste and headlight restoration kits. The only thing I find that works well all (or at least most) the time is Novus 1, 2, 3. Works great on visors.

Plexus works great to maintain a plastic part once it is cleaned and poished.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I dunno why they don't use quality reflectors in these headlights for what they charge. Those hot spots and weird rainbows around the circumference could be eliminated by using a dimpled reflector... This little light is the best light I've used (in a small light). 3800k , runs off one little 18650 battery. Lights up everything at night as good as a factory car headlight and only 400 lumens on high and 900 on turbo (OEM lighting is capped at 1900lumens in the USA via govt regulations so if a site claims DOT approval for a light claiming over 1900 lumens it's not actually DOT approved because that's the limit for legality here).
M.

Reactions: Workingman and Ken

·
Registered
2021 TW200, first motorcycle
208 Posts
I dunno why they don't use quality reflectors in these headlights for what they charge. Those hot spots and weird rainbows around the circumference could be eliminated by using a dimpled reflector... This little light is the best light I've used (in a small light). 3800k , runs off one little 18650 battery. Lights up everything at night as good as a factory car headlight and only 400 lumens on high and 900 on turbo (OEM lighting is capped at 1900lumens in the USA via govt regulations so if a site claims DOT approval for a light claiming over 1900 lumens it's not actually DOT approved because that's the limit for legality here).
M. View attachment 215935
I don't understand why a guy makes something and offers it for sale to support his family and then you guys all decide to shit on his head.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
That gentleman isn't making the light itself. He's making the beautifully made bracket that attaches it to the bike. Which by itself looks to be worth what he's asking for the whole kit.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I myself really like the bracket just not in love with the light itself .
It's a little high in the light spectrum for me ..
I prefer a little softer light ..
mike from NC

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
It's unfortunately the best there is for the dub. He even says while it's not ideal it's the only good option for staying with 4x6. The truly high end lights you see sitting on the counter at Freightliner and international dealers are only high or low beam setups. No one makes what we need with both in one. So this is what we got to work with until one of these guys convinces a business in China to make some with lower kelvin. First person to do that would have a hefty jump on the competition they were attempting to be a thorn in the side of. Hint hint wink wink... .

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well mine arrived today ..
I haven't installed it yet...
The light arrived well packaged
and padded.
it came with a couple of bolts/nuts and
a business card....
no instructions , warranty or literature
of any kind....
Looks well made .
I like it better then the JNS I looked at....
Powered it up.. It works ....
I do wish the lens was glass instead of plastic....
Plastic haze's and scratches so much easier than glass..
Just a product of modern times I guess....
I also wish the light was a little lower in the spectrum..
A little softer light would have been great ....
Tach industries just makes the little bracket that holds the light..
same light as the new jns it seems ...
They do a fine job on the bracket / very nice welds ....
price was fair... Shipping cost a little high ...
mike from NC
Anyone else using this light and bracket ?

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Simple yellow sheet or gel filters are often used to soften and warm 5,000K LEDs by decreasing relative portion of blue spectrum output. Of course be aware that "the ambient nature of yellow light has a soporific effect, so they gradually decrease concentration and cause fatigue" so be relaxed but don't fall asleep at the helm if you add a simple self adhesive filter sheet to you lens. Warmer light will also attract less bugs. Or simply use yellow face shield or wear yellow shooting/anti-glare glasses to address complaint about 5,000K + color spectrum.:cool:

We shouldn't be sheep in life, complaining that someone else should make things better when we are capable of making things better ourselves. These are both good lights under discussion and the purchaser can address themselves any personal annoyances like light bleeding or spectrum dissatisfaction to their satisfaction.

Each and every day what we do either makes the world around us a better or worse place. Which direction do you think "dissing" a manufactures goes?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Last night I was looking for some type of filter to cover the headlight..
I would like to bring the 6000k down to 5500k or 5000k ...
Without cutting down the output of the light...
I failed.. I will keep trying..
mike from NC

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Fred
Are the colored gel filters for photography lights what I need ?
Sorry I do not know how to post links...
Do you think there is a chance of using these will cause the headlight to over heat ?
I think these may also provide a great method of scratch protection ....
Thanks
mike from NC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jns engineering has a morimoto headlight now that supposedly the best 4x6 led you can get. Has anyone tried it yet?
Was curious about this as well. Just got my TW last week and ordered the JNS DOT light today -- wasn't willing to chance it on my own for the price of the Morimoto one but could be open to it in the future if it proves worth its value.

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
@Workingman - you're overthinking it - anything that says "lighting gel" and comes in a sheet is fine, but, most of the professional solutions are "stiff" and meant to fit in a frame. What you need (and I use the word "need" loosely), is a self-adhesive film

@shutterdial - JNS now has something like 8 different variations, so if you want to buy all eight and do a comparison test, we're all ears. Until then, it has now become guess work as far as choosing between the JNS lights are concerned. Let me put it this way - if they have have one light that beats the rest, what gives with the other seven ? - but like Apple, there will be another one along in a month or so

JNS lights are great, but it has become horribly over complicated at the moment .....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Gentlemen, are these new Morimoto lights brighter and with more lumens than previously available upgrades? So there’s a superior functioning option now?!?! Thanks all for your considered opinions. P

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well once again I jumped the gun.
I rode in a Jeep last night that had the morimoto sealed 4 headlights...,
I was bragging about my new wonder headlight ..
He pulled one of his headlights and replaced it with mine.
The difference was like night and day !
The morimoto was far superior ....
I haven't been able to find any power specs for the morimoto.
I do not know what kind of wattage they are pulling ..
I'm not saying the headlight I purchased is trash.
It's ok for the price I guess ... Maybe ...
I do really like the tach industries mounting bracket...
Hopefully one day they will offer it with the morimoto headlight ...
Well it is what it is. The 💰 money has already been spent !
Once again I am very disappointed in my decision making skills... 😢
I don't know if I will install the headlight in the T-dub or not...

mike from NC

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
On the website it says. 20w low beam 35w high beam so it will draw less then the stock bulb
There ya go...the choice is obvious....
If someone can learn from my mistake..
Maybe I won't feel so bad about wasting all
of that hard earned overtime pay !
mike from NC

41 - 60 of 63 Posts