TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 2015 TW200, has only 250 miles on it. Its still cold here in March and when I start the bike up I need to leave the choke on for quite some time (about 5 minutes half choke) or else it will stall at regular idle. The last owner told me that the bike sat for almost a year, I put some fresh high octane gas in it. Once it is fully warmed up it seems to be fine. Not sure if this is normal or maybe if it is becuase the bike sat for so long. While I here I figured I would also ask if there is anything else I should consider looking into since it has been sitting for so long. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks!
Pat

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If the bike sat for almost a year with ethanol gas in it, it probably needs a thorough carb and tank cleaning. High octane gas will do nothing to help the carb....it's a waste of money...UNLESS it is non-ethanol....if so, you can mix it with regular octane E10 50/50. That will give you about 88 octane, but more importantly only 5% ethanol.....much better. Since it seems to run OK after warm-up, try three ounces of SeaFoam per tank two or three times, that may clear it up.

Also drill the plug on the idle jet needle, remove it with a drywall screw, bottom out the needle gently and then out 2.5 turns.

Change the oil immediately! 250 miles is only partially broken in, so continue the break-in with regular dino oil and 500 mile changes to 1,500 miles before switching to all synthetic. DO NOT buy a new oil filter!!!! Just inspect and clean the OEM one for many thousands of miles....that way you will never risk destroying the engine with the wrong filter, as WAY too many of us have. :mad:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I will only add one thing to the above perfect advice and that is that the seemingly cold nature'd startups were exactly the same as delivered from Yamaha for both of my TW's until I done the 2.25 turns out from bottom on the pilot needle. Made a total different bike out of each of them. You can expect to only need about half or less of the previously used choke.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks Doug!
Take note that you can drain the carb, remove the cables and fuel line, loosen the intake and boot clamps front and rear and rotate the carb in place to make the tweaks. Saves a lot of time and effort. Take note of how the spring is setup if you remove the cable pull/pull cam from the throttle blade shaft. I do it this way now and literally have it down to a few minutes. Any questions, just ask, pretty simple deal for the vast improvement it gives.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Looks like these guys have you squared away ok.

Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
You can actually twist the carb far enough to get at the pot metal plug without removing the throttle cables. Loosen up the boots well, because there is a small lug on the intake one that fits a slot on the carb and can get torn if not loose enough. You can easily make a special screwdriver for future adjustments in situ by buying a cheap small driver, cutting the blade off near the handle and grinding a new blade to fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doug, do you happen to have a link to a video that shows how to do this? I search around and there are a lot of carb mod videos but im not exactly sure one shows what you have mentioned.

Thanks!
Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone again for the quick reply, I think I found a thread that has some pictures as well. It wont let me post a link since I am new. But it appears the plug i need to reomve is on the bottom front of the carb. Once this is removeed I simply screw in gently until it bootms out, and then back out 2.25-2.5 revolutions. Thanks again, i'll let you know how this works.

Pat

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
pilot jet needs to be spotless clean or else it can (and will) affect every aspect of running

The pilot orifice is tiny and even the slightest varnish and it will not flow properly

I often replace with an XT250 pilot jet just slightly larger than the stock TW pilot and you should be able to do total cold starts at 40 degrees no choke and it will idle immediately from dead cold start

The plug / cap on the idle mixture screw is aluminum and has a small hole in the center that I use it to start a self tapping screw (small drywall style) by hand with a phillips screw driver and once the tip of the screw gets a hold you can lever the plug out easily

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks everyone again for the quick reply, I think I found a thread that has some pictures as well. It wont let me post a link since I am new. But it appears the plug i need to reomve is on the bottom front of the carb. Once this is removeed I simply screw in gently until it bootms out, and then back out 2.25-2.5 revolutions. Thanks again, i'll let you know how this works.

Pat
Yes the plug is in the tube hanging down in the bottom front in front of the bowl.

Good point about the pilot jet and how sensitive to varnish or dirt. He is idling ok when it gets warmed up so it is likely in good shape at this time. Still a good idea and a lot of us have ordered these in line 90 degree filters to fit in between the tank and carb. Picture below. Got mine on amazon.

90 degree filter.JPG

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the bike sat for almost a year with ethanol gas in it, it probably needs a thorough carb and tank cleaning. High octane gas will do nothing to help the carb....it's a waste of money...UNLESS it is non-ethanol....if so, you can mix it with regular octane E10 50/50. That will give you about 88 octane, but more importantly only 5% ethanol.....much better. Since it seems to run OK after warm-up, try three ounces of SeaFoam per tank two or three times, that may clear it up.

Also drill the plug on the idle jet needle, remove it with a drywall screw, bottom out the needle gently and then out 2.5 turns.

Change the oil immediately! 250 miles is only partially broken in, so continue the break-in with regular dino oil and 500 mile changes to 1,500 miles before switching to all synthetic. DO NOT buy a new oil filter!!!! Just inspect and clean the OEM one for many thousands of miles....that way you will never risk destroying the engine with the wrong filter, as WAY too many of us have. :mad:
Listen to Rocky...he knows what he is talking about!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have a 2015 TW200, has only 250 miles on it. Its still cold here in March and when I start the bike up I need to leave the choke on for quite some time (about 5 minutes half choke) or else it will stall at regular idle. The last owner told me that the bike sat for almost a year, I put some fresh high octane gas in it. Once it is fully warmed up it seems to be fine. Not sure if this is normal or maybe if it is becuase the bike sat for so long. While I here I figured I would also ask if there is anything else I should consider looking into since it has been sitting for so long. Thanks in advance for your replies. Thanks! Pat
Are you able to start the bike and ride away up to speed? If so....... ride away with full choke for about a hundred yards and then push button in halfway for another 100 yards or so..... then push it all the way in and keep going!

When it's real cold, sometimes I need to feather the throttle a little to get the rpm's up at first and it helps that it's downhill slightly when I leave my driveway, but with stock jetting...It works good and I've been doing this for a long time!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts