TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago my wife got an email from one of her harp students' parents. Her parents (students' grandparents) are moving back to the east coast and had a 2007 Ford Escape they didn't want to take with them. Manual transmission, meticulously maintained, etc. They wanted to give it away rather than deal with the hassle of selling. So, for "$5", today, we "bought" the Escape. In turn I immediately put the 95 Accord up on CL and sold it within an hour. Plan to use part of the money to pay for the new registration and will be giving the rest of the cash away to my buddy to pay the good deed fwd. He's an apprentice electrician w/ 3 kids who really busts his butt. Said he wants to use it to buy a gun since he's been kicking the idea around for a while but rarely has the spare cash to do so.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this here for a little positive news from Lake Wobegon since it seems all we hear on the news and everywhere else is how much people suck.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
A few weeks ago my wife got an email from one of her harp students' parents. Her parents (students' grandparents) are moving back to the east coast and had a 2007 Ford Escape they didn't want to take with them. Manual transmission, meticulously maintained, etc. They wanted to give it away rather than deal with the hassle of selling. So, for "$5", today, we "bought" the Escape. In turn I immediately put the 95 Accord up on CL and sold it within an hour. Plan to use part of the money to pay for the new registration and will be giving the rest of the cash away to my buddy to pay the good deed fwd. He's an apprentice electrician w/ 3 kids who really busts his butt. Said he wants to use it to buy a gun since he's been kicking the idea around for a while but rarely has the spare cash to do so.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this here for a little positive news from Lake Wobegon since it seems all we hear on the news and everywhere else is how much people suck.
I would like to "pay it forward" as well. I am prepared to send you $100 for that that Ford Escape. Now I know what you are thinking however there is no need to thank me publicly for my generosity. Just doing the Lords work;)

Saint Thomas

·
Registered
545 Posts
I personally would never give someone money to buy a gun,
Maybe a good safe and a NRA gun safety corse,
But not, Never the gun its self,
He does have children after all,
While this is none of my business,
Ive seen several accidents in the past.
Just my 2c,
Sorry,
Peter B
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I would like to edit my post,
I am sorry and I am not the best with people,
~ ~ ~
I am happy to hear that you for the escape,, They are very good small SUVs and I have seen several in the 250K miles and still running strong, I was trying to buy one for my wife but shed as odd as me and she really wanted the Honda element, SO thats what I am looking for,
~ ~ ~ ~
As reference to your friend,
I grew up with guns in the safe and on the person and a loaded shotgun on hooks above the front door, We learned as kids that they can destroy things real fast,
No doubt your friend is responsible as he works and raises his kids in a way you approve and want to help him out with is commendable,
I guess I just worry as Ive seen negligent discharges and I had a 9mm land some 3" from my foot a couple years ago from a guy standing next to me who didn't grow up with guns,
A NRA hand gun safety class is a great thing if you didn't grow up with guns, If the teacher is good he will drill the basics into you,
~ ~ ~ ~
A close friend of mine bought a lovely shot gun for household protection,
Wife and two daughters,
Sh shows me the 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck shot,
First he should have cleared the gun,
Second, I convinced him that bird shot was good enough to protect you in your house and how 00 buck can go thru walls a bit too easy and potentially destroy his family members,
~ ~ ~ ~
Anyway,
I am sorry for not thinking before I posted,
I pay things forward often,
I have an envelope with $500 for one of my tenants because he found a good renter for me, and I just moved her in Nov 1.
Its a way to show my appreciation for his efforts, He will be shocked,
~ ~
I will mention she is 24, 5'1" and about 120 pounds and my wife has not met her yet,
While I like good tenants, I see that this mini skirt, Tank top wearing young thing may cause some trouble in the summer,
Thankfully its november and chilly here in Phila,
And yes, She in the unit upstairs and across from my unit,
~ ~ ~ ~
Escape is a good car,
And at times Im an idiot,
Sincerely,
Peter B

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just my 2c,
Sorry,
Peter B

I personally would never give some one a car, I've seen several accidents in the past. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Just my 2c,
Sorry,
Peter B

I personally would never give some one a car, I've seen several accidents in the past. Just my two cents.
I thought it. Scrolled down and found YOU wrote it. I must be living right because that made my evening. Thank you:icon_cheers:

Tom

·
Registered
806 Posts
Paying forward is near as much fun as sex with a partner. Maybe a mo practicle gift like MRE's and knifes for a family. But what would I know? Sure love the gesture though, good to read.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hrm. Of all things, didn't expect what my buddy is kicking around the idea to use the money on to be a source of contention. He also might use it for food storage, or, depending on how he can budget it, both. I'm not giving him money to per se buy a gun. I'm giving him the money and he is kicking that idea around. There is an intrinsic difference.

He's a former Marine, and so he has plenty of weapons training. His Associate's degree is in Outdoor leadership, as is his wife's -- they spent their honeymoon as guides in Alaska. Safety is practically their mantra. They have a bow which they practice with (and she's better than him lol).

Yesterday I was speaking with another family friend who is a software developer. He was asking me about guns. Also has a few kids. People are waking up to the idea that they need a means of protection -- something I've preached to all who would hear for years now.

Unless something is intrinsically moral, I don't care what someone spends their money on. I'm always happy to help where I can when it comes to providing for and protecting one's family.

All people have a right to defend themselves, and some have a grave duty (such as husbands/fathers) to defend others; if he wishes to spend the money on a gun, so long as he is not shirking his responsibilities of paying bills, he will only hear encouragement from me. Not only me, but the priests we know and to whom we go to for spiritual guidance (such as a former Marine infantry officer who became a priest, former Coast Guard who became a priest, etc. -- priests in the FSSP, the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, a Latin Mass community in communion with the Holy See). The man works hard and does things off hours to provide for his family. Examples include taking the extra copper wire from jobs which is left over and thus trash. He then spends hours stripping it and selling the copper. It would go in the trash otherwise, but he takes that time for a little extra $ to go to making things easier.

No need for an NRA course -- they're often pretty lame (seems to be the theme with the NRA) and if he did need such instruction to knock off the rust, we can source that locally from former military, current instructors, myself, etc.

Anyway, I didn't really wish to make the thread about that. My goal was simply to point out there are people who do some good and that allows others to do some good. As the Latin saying goes, bonum diffusa est, "The good diffuses itself".

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
In this day and age a guy with a wife and three kids needs a gun to protect his family. Correct we are that he also needs a brain when in possession of a firearm in the midst of a family. Gun safety is first and foremost but you can be sure more families have been protected with guns than have been hurt by them. Far more family members get hurt or killed in cars.

GaryL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts