TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting another tdub, in case my brother or son or anyone that wants to go riding comes for a visit.
But I think the suzuki vanvan would be a great alternative.
So while checking cycle trader, I saw a new vanvan advertised for $3500.
This seemed like a good price.
I gave the dealer a call and with doc fees, dealer set up and taxes, the total would be over a thousand dollars more.
Well it's been a lot of years since I bought a new vehicle, and now I remember why.
I just won't pay $500. for doc fees, when I told the salesman that, he said then you won't be buying one.

But I see a 91 tdub here in town for $1600. The pics look good. And it has 5,000 miles on it.
So I haven't been checking prices, but this seems reasonable to me.
What do 91's in good shape sell for?
I'm willing to pay extra to save driving out of town to buy one though.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been thinking about getting another tdub, in case my brother or son or anyone that wants to go riding comes for a visit.
I gave the dealer a call and with doc fees, dealer set up and taxes, the total would be over a thousand dollars more.
Well it's been a lot of years since I bought a new vehicle, and now I remember why.
I just won't pay $500. for doc fees, when I told the salesman that, he said then you won't be buying one.

But I see a 91 tdub here in town for $1600. The pics look good. And it has 5,000 miles on it.
Thanks for any advice.
I was in a similar situation as you. Really wanted a TW, but the used market is pretty slim in my area for them. Growing impatient, I contemplated getting a new 2018 from the dealer but just couldn't stomach the $1000+ dealer markup, doc fees, taxes, etc. A brand new one in my area would have wound up being close to $6K OTD.

So I played the patience game, and after 2 months found my survivor '99 with only 800 easy miles for 2.5K. I did have to make a 400 mile road trip to go pick it up, but in the end I am very happy with my decision. Not only is it in great shape, I personally like the looks of the older 1990's TWs with the graphics, and love the factory kickstarter (which was something I was planning on having to install if I had picked up a post 2001 model).

There are plenty of great low mile bikes out there that can be picked up for well under half what a new one will run you. I would suggest holding out and eventually you will score.

·
Registered
13,637 Posts

Thanks for any advice.

That's a fair price for out west...and you don't have to go out of town.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'd buy the 91, then you have a back up if your bike goes down and any one riding with you has the same set up. No complaining. I wouldn't buy new unless your rich and don't care lol....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'm not rich and do care...and like to buy new.
I bought my new 2014 as a "non-current" in late 2016. The dealer had 2 of them on hand and the 2017's were arriving soon.
A true "motivated seller".
List price was -IIRC - $4,777.
After a little haggling, I got it out the door for $3,700,everything included.
So, I got a brand new bike with full warranty for a great price.
I had to drive to a small town in Oklahoma, a 400 mile round trip...it was kinda fun. EDIT: Call around to area dealers and ask about non-currents. Especially small dealers who can't afford to carry excess stock.
I have no problem with buying used but it's hard to know exactly what you are getting. And only a part of a warranty, if any.
I got this, with full warranty:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy in town that has the 91 for sale had to work all day today, but I will go check it out tomorrow at 10am.
If I end up getting it, I'll post some pics tomorrow. The only thing is it's all black which is not my favorite, but it's not a deal breaker either.
Thanks for the advise everyone, I am not up on prices on these, but I like $1600. much more than $4500 or more.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you already have one or had one this should be a no-brainer for you as far as condition. $1600.00 sound nice if it doesn't need anything or much.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did go for it, the 91 Tdub looked in pretty good shape, so after a test drive, I went and bought it.
I was going to try and negotiate the guy down another $100. but it turns out his wife works with my wife, so I didn't feel right about it.
The seller did just replace the front and rear tires, but he put on the dreaded death wing on the front. So I will be changing that to a Shinko.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks great/good deal. And it even has one of those often spoke of legendary "Electric" labels. Cool!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Congrats. Good looking bike you got there Bad Luck now it’s time to farkle it up. :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts