TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally its coming together. I got all the steel needed and a free second. the top is 1/2" thick and 3x7'. basically the whole frame is 1/4' wall tubing of various dimensions. I will be putting casters on it but im still working on them for the time being. Good news is I got my new welder and I hooker er up and put it right to work. It is AWESOME!

heres all the frame precut plus a couple other little things for some other projects
Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
and the bare frame
the top

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those gas bottle making ya nervous???? me too. I need a new cart for this welder and bottles, but havent got there yet so I tip toeing around the bottle for the time being. Ill get them secured soon.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, thats ironic! Very timely!
This past Saturday I finally went and picked up my 1/2" plate for my welding table!
It supposedly weighed "only" 204lbs, but it sure seemed heavier! A lot heavier! (Its only 36" X40")
Even with my budddy Mark over to help me, I did what you did; rigging up a chain hoist to lift it up.
It took an hour to rig it up, but didnt strain at it.
It rocks on the frame some, so not looking forward to flipping the entire table and plate over to weld it on, or weld it over head, which I suck at.
RicklesssS in Oregon

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have enough room for a welding table, so am green with envy while perusing your sweet project table.
The only space I have is for a small pullout shelf and an ancillary swing out shelf on my still incomplete triple stack welding cart.

What are you using for welders?

I have an older Miller 210 MIG, A Lincoln Squarewave 200 TIG and a Hypertherm 45 Plasma cutter.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow, thats ironic! Very timely!
This past Saturday I finally went and picked up my 1/2" plate for my welding table!
It supposedly weighed "only" 204lbs, but it sure seemed heavier! A lot heavier! (Its only 36" X40")
Even with my budddy Mark over to help me, I did what you did; rigging up a chain hoist to lift it up.
It took an hour to rig it up, but didnt strain at it.
It rocks on the frame some, so not looking forward to flipping the entire table and plate over to weld it on, or weld it over head, which I suck at.
RicklesssS in Oregon
DONT WELD THE TOP ON TO THE FRAME! Ive heard bad things from a bunch of people about that. Mine will have 12 countersunk head bolts bolted to 1/4" think tabs off the frame top. Im not sure how they make money but i ordered this plate from a place 250 miles away. they sell it by the square foot and dont charge for the laster cnc cut and free shipping to anywhere in the pacific northwest.... oh and 1/2" plate is 20.40lbs per sq. ft.

Unfortunately I do not have enough room for a welding table, so am green with envy while perusing your sweet project table.
The only space I have is for a small pullout shelf and an ancillary swing out shelf on my still incomplete triple stack welding cart.

What are you using for welders?

I have an older Miller 210 MIG, A Lincoln Squarewave 200 TIG and a Hypertherm 45 Plasma cutter.
I just sold off my pair or miller sidekicks (110 and a 220) and just bought a miller multimatic 215. holly crap its sweet. I can stick tig and mig on one machine. has dual bottle hookups and it will quick change from 110 to 220. its also really compact and light. Ill be building a cart soon enough....

So where are the big heavy vises?
I got a new Wilton for Christmas. once im done with the table im gonna build a pedestal for it. I cant wait!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tonights progress. almost had the frame done and zap! end of the wire roll.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I burnt myself just looking at the picture.
The question is... was it the best self-burning, and should everybody burn themselves just looking at the picture, nobody should burn themselves looking at any other picture? :D

(jk MBW)

·
Registered
158 Posts
very nice build......u right about welding table down it will pull bad..... nothing worse than clamping a piece of tubeing down to table and the other end lifts a inch, thats what will happen if u weld plate to tubing on out side of tube..... also all plate has a crown ,,,make sure u put it faceing up at least than u can fine tune it after....hope u dont think iam being a dick... but i have screwed up a couple of tables in my time..... be really nice if wheels were on a piviot system to let table down on floor, nothing worst than chaceing a table :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well as of today I call it done with the exception of installing the casters. I found some big ass vintage bassick casters im working on restoring to add soon. The legs have the mounting plates for them already, but the table is sitting on blocks for now. It was a fun project and it turned out very well if I may say so myself. I look forward to using it on a couple of project commitments I have in the near future. If all is right the table weighs about 8-900 lbs and should last me forever.
im going to add in some kind of tool box under here some day with nice drawers, but that will be a while.
and I finally got to use a mag drill. These things are cool!

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
Sweet!! Nice Job VG!! I love the rounded corners and the vise!! :D
well as of today I call it done with the exception of installing the casters. I found some big ass vintage bassick casters im working on restoring to add soon. The legs have the mounting plates for them already, but the table is sitting on blocks for now. It was a fun project and it turned out very well if I may say so myself. I look forward to using it on a couple of project commitments I have in the near future. If all is right the table weighs about 8-900 lbs and should last me forever.
im going to add in some kind of tool box under here some day with nice drawers, but that will be a while.
and I finally got to use a mag drill. These things are cool!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The steel plate was the coolest part of this table. There is a company in spokane Wa. that cuts custom plates from 8x20 sheets. they will do any dimensions and round corners or whatever. They charge by the square foot and the cut is free. I chose the dimensions thickness and corner radius. It was far cheaper than any local metal supply whom would have sold me a full 4x8 only and wanted to torch cut it. Best part shipping was free. yes thats right 500lbs of steel shipped 250 miles for free. I dont know how, but that ow they do it. I cant remember what he said, but shipping is free within a ridiculous radius of spokane if anyone need steel stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts