TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local sport bike mechanic says don't use regular master link because they are dangerous? Any comments on this? I really don't like riveted chains because in the mountains or anywhere away from the garage with chain problems, it is a long hike. Master links (carry an extra in the kit) can be replaced. I did 15 years of enduros with regular old master links but finding chains with them now is getting difficult. I had to special order the one I will install tomorrow. Of course the real cure is never ride alone...

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
He may have mentioned this because not all master links are the same size when dealing with standard chains and O or X-Ring chains. I forget which way it goes, but one will fit one chain but not the other. So it's recommended to always get one according to what kind of chain you have. Standard or Ringed. Hope that helps. :D

No need to rivet it either, it's a low power bike. Failures are uncommon.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My local sport bike mechanic says don't use regular master link because they are dangerous? ...
The master links that come with the X-ring chains are definitely not the same as a regular link, they are meatier. I suppose there is a danger after many thousands of miles because the regular master link will wear much faster and eventually become the weak point in the chain. However, because of the difficulty in getting a spare X-ring master link onto the chain out in the field, some of us carry a regular master links to use temporarily in an emergency; it's much, much easier to get on. If I had a bike (with a chain ;)) that could go 150 mph, I'd agree with your mechanic, but not for the TW.

O or X-ring chain failures are VERY uncommon with a TW, unless you hit a BIG sharp rock at speed....:eek:

As far as I know, there is no difficulty finding 428 chains of any style with master links, it's the bigger ones that are often riveted. I got my D.I.D. 428VX from Rocky Mtn. ATV

·
Registered
19,197 Posts
"regular" master link?
Non- X or O-ring master links are a little narrower I thought.
X, and O-ring chains, and their master links, should have longer pins to accommodate the compressed thickness of the o-rings. Perhaps this is the item of concern expressed by the mechanic,i.e. he was possibly concerned OP might try to use a standard master link which would not have pins long enough to secure the clip in an x-ring application? I have also heard that different manufactures of the 428 chains use different pin diameters, thus the need for the appropriate master link. ( check your spare before heading out if you had only assumed it would fit).
How the heck would you rivet a chain around the swing arm of a TW anyways? I suppose you could remove the swing-arm if one acquired an already riveted chain, but why? Cut that sucker and install the appropriate master link.

·
Registered
19,197 Posts
So Brian, would your new trailer rim/TW hub set-up qualify as a "big hunk of steel"?
I gotta see that contraption when completed. Thinking about you going tubeless gets me as excited as a guy thinking about his girlfriend going topless.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
X-ring master link of the old style (regular to me) makes so much more sense. I do have a device for installing on the trail. Fits easily in my tool roll. I think the consensus is in. Good points all. Thanks gents.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Hahaha, the big hunk of steel that I use is a short section of railroad rail that also serves as an anvil and other assorted uses.
Made several of those little railroad track anvils over the years. Great for the small stuff in the shop!!

Internet photos, not ones I made.

Used to love that kind of stuff!!

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Isn't the railroad gonna wonder why all their rail road track keeps dissapearing? Brian, you and I gotta stop before they send the Pinkertons after us.:D View attachment 20275
You just had to do it didn't you Fred? Now you have the Admiral sitting there with a chubby because he saw the hammer!

GaryL

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
My DR650 came with a riveted chain. I randomly chose a link and removed it and replaced it with a clip type master link. You don't have to special order a non riveted chain. I asked the guy at the shop why are chains riveted now a days and he said it was because enough guys out there don't know what they are doing, i.e. they don't know how to install a master link properly, and that was causing accidents, and to avoid trouble chains are now riveted. That is what he told me.

On my parts bike when I increased the size of the rear sprocket I had to lengthen the chain. I didn't have any short sections of o-ring chain so I used non o-ring chain and non o-ring master link. It is working out fine. I actually prefer the non o-ring master link because it is easy to remove and re install thereby making the chain easy to remove, clean, lube, and re install. The down side is every 300 miles I have to clean and lube the master link when the rest of the chain is OK, but really, it is a 2 minute job.

I call this my "Hybrid Chain".

P1220016a.jpg

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I'll have to admit Tony, that chain sure looks nice and clean and well lubricated! Now that swingarm looks like it needs a little attention ;).

Aren't you afraid that with that Hybrid Chain the lack of those 8 O-rings will result in an unbalanced drive line setting up subsonic harmonic frequency vibrations resulting in uncontrollable handling at the high speeds you are able to achieve with your '87 model year TW?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Aren't you afraid that with that Hybrid Chain the lack of those 8 O-rings will result in an unbalanced drive line setting up subsonic harmonic frequency vibrations resulting in uncontrollable handling at the high speeds you are able to achieve with your '87 model year TW?
No no no. I never ride this bike. You might want to ask Bid D, The PBR. He might be worried.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My DR650 came with a riveted chain. I randomly chose a link and removed it and replaced it with a clip type master link. You don't have to special order a non riveted chain. I asked the guy at the shop why are chains riveted now a days and he said it was because enough guys out there don't know what they are doing, i.e. they don't know how to install a master link properly, and that was causing accidents, and to avoid trouble chains are now riveted. That is what he told me.

My chain install went well today though I had to remove two links as I discovered a 47 sprocket under all the PO grime and grease. Still enough slack to measure 1.3 or so. Will test this evening after it cools down.

X-Ring.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts