TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a brand new, in the box, matches my bike 1988-90 XT350 tank in Limassol, CY, Cyprus
It's a little island off of Lebanon. How much should I pay with shipping?

Cypress.JPG

NOS XT350 Tank.jpg

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted metal. Never really was a fan of plastic other than the red tank that was on my CR480. I was thinking of putting the factory graphics kit on it and clear coating. The XT350 tanks seem to fit pretty well from the pics. I have other bikes that are and look pieced together. I wanted this bike "dubby" to keep a clean factory look.

Does anyone have opinions XT225 VS XT350 tanks? Im all ears..

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
My metal XT225 tank mounted up without much difficulty at all and very little fuel remains inaccessible to the petcock on level ground. The Clarke XT350 tank that came on my second bike is a different story. Even with 2" risers there is slight conflict with tank and bars in full lock turns. Even with front of tank mounted as high as possible about 3 quarts of fuel estimated remains inaccessible to the petcock unless you are very good at lofting the front tire several times a minute once petcock runs dry. The stock seat really benefits from cutting and trimming to bend up and lay flush against XT350 tank. Even still there is a cosmetic dis-connect as the XT350 tank profile does not match up well with the TW seat.

All in all the extra fuel in the XT350 tank is very nice occasionally but the XT225 tank looks better. Both negate the narrow feel one gets with the stock tank, they makes the TW seem bigger.

I do prefer the metal tank in that magnets can secure park and event passes, notes on upcoming turns, shopping lists and maintenance Post-a-Notes like "NO OIL!".

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Fred. Do the same negatives apply to the oem metal tank as they do to the Clark plastic tank?

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
That I do not know, except if there is tank to steering conflict the metal tank will not innocently deform out the way like the plastic tank. I have thin dense foam to act as a shock absorber reducing chance of damage. However with a bit more work I could have modified the steering stops on frame to limit the degree of permissible steering rotation. Either way I gain a little larger turning radius.

I did not mount up the larger tank myself so perhaps you could do a better job with a metal XT350 tank. Mine was originally done for a TW with a single tractor seat and when I modified things to restore the OEM seat I very well could have missed optimizing things for the best possible tank location. You very well might do better. Check out Perano's clean install, shoot him a PM if this link just raises more questions:XT350 Tank Installed

As far as shipping costs there should be USPS shipping cost calculators on-line that might give a ballpark estimate for the Mediterranean tank

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Fred. I got the shipping to $45.00 (cheap for that far I think). As far as the price of the tank that's still an ongoing battle.. Working on it.

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
If you can mate up a matching colored metal tank like Perano's you will have a real good looking winner. His plastic and misc. details are well done. I think his tank bag helps hide the minor mis-match between seat nose and tank. DSC_0022.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peranos' was my inspiration actually. My plan would be to apply the factory graphics kit to the tank like in the pic up above. I would clear coat over the graphics just like the OEM one. I like Tony's welded bracket but he was up high like that because of the petcock I think. Others were able to go lower. Apparently all bike and tank combos have fit up a bit differently. There is a magic combo I read about but can't seem to find the thread anymore.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone used that flat Japanese seat base pan with the short nose to match up with the 350 tank? As in that pan and seat concepts foam and cover?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Gerry's (Gizmow's) tank was an XT500 and hence slightly distinct from the xt350 although the internal mounting may have been the same. The metal xt350 is an easy install and did not involve handlebar interference. Because it was close at full turn, I did pad mine to set it back a couple more millimeters. I'd buy it if the shipping isn't horrendous. New Tanks are rarer than hen's teeth except at Stealership prices. I've watched for them for the last 5 years or so and I've only seen a few and only two were worth having at a reasonable price. I'm tempted to say plastic is plastic, and I want metal and I don't want to have my bike look like a conehead (sorry Clarke fans).

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the close up pics!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cone heads! Hahahah lol! Yep cone heads :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts