TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here, I am 26 with a wife and 2 children. I have no bike. I live in Michigan, YAY WINTERS nooo rust :( . I spent about 6 months researching on my car before I purchased it to give you insight as to why I'm here, and not owning a bike as of this moment. In all I have convinced my wife to allow us both to take the training courses, and after doing alot of research and over looking the tw200, I decided it will most likely be the bike for us as we are country bumpkins with woods all arounid

The Big thing that really turned me away from interest in the TW200 was the 196cc... As I want a bike for general commuting ( 20 miles to work ) and some simple fun riding. I am 265lbs of a man and was worried about the get up and go, but after reading about 30 pages from the advrider.com TW thread I am convinced it will work for my 55mph needs. I am also a complete beginner with riding motor bikes as well as my wife, she is convinced she wants a scooter but the riding class uses TW for learning so YAY!

Sorry If there is a subforum I didnt spot for introductions, move as needed mods ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome.
I am about 270ibs and 55-60 MPH is about maximum on my bike. The rear tire is a fat, heavy ATV tire.
I am about 5'10" or so and I feel a little cramped on the bike.
Having said that I have had many dual sports and the TW200 is the work horse that I will never sell. I enjoy riding it and have made some mods to it that increase the fun factor.
My wife loves this TW.
If you outgrow it, you can always sell it and get much of your $$ back. Or keep it and get a bigger bike. The DR650 is a good alternative to a TW200 (at least for me).
Simba

mine on a nearby farm road.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Welcome fellow michigander. My wife and I have had dubs for 9 years.. They are great for so many situations here. I'm 230 and have 0 issues with 55.. We do a lot of gravel road & two tracks in Da-Yooper.. We like the dubs so much that we pick them over our road bikes for any ride from less than 75 miles or so. Hard to beat such a fun well balanced bike for quick rides.. OMM.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will enjoy a TW in Michigan. I used to live in Springport. It's wonderful country out there. You will find this a great forum with lot's of helpful folks to answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Welcome fellow Wolverine. For a first bike the TW200 is a good choice. I just sold my last XR400 and went back down to this.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi LTC.

I am a new member as well and as such, don't really do the welcome thing.

However, I have to commend you on your due diligence in terms of research.

But really just have to tell you that your "moniker" made me giggle.:D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Handle bar risers and wider pegs will do a lot for bigger riders....then seat mods.....then rear racks.....then.....it never ends......:p

Welcome to the madness.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy Crap that back tire simba!

Jeffrolives glad it gave you a chuckle!

Yeah I figure it would be smart to research and figure out what all could go wrong and what parts might need replacing first so I can be completely prepared. I'm also on a rather tight budget with a wife and 2 kids, so an educated buy makes my life easier by making the wife happier and at ease.

thank you for all the hellos and welcomes! It makes me pretty happy to see so many fellow michiganders in here, good chance for meet ups and an exchange in knowledge and beers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Handle bar risers and wider pegs will do a lot for bigger riders....then seat mods.....then rear racks.....then.....it never ends......:p

Welcome to the madness.
Ha no doubt, I am a stickler with upgrading and just doing general preventative maintenance. It drives my wife nuts with my car, as I'm doing my best to upkeep our cars, with small to big parts usually every few months, and spending my weekends under the car with my little 5 year old helper :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts