TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was first time I took the new TW on the trails. This is where this machine really shines as until today I only been riding it on the roads. I have a question. I was going up a steep hill and I was in 1st gear. (very certain I was in 1st). I was going slow and the machine made this strange noise, hard to describe but it was like a clunking sound. I would assume it would make this if I was in too high of a gear. Would it make this sound if I was in 1st gear and should be in 2nd? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine will make the clunking/knocking sound even in first if I lug it too slow then give it too much throttle while under heavy load such as a steep hill.
Pre-detonation, aka pinging.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Kind-a difficult to make a real good analysis of your "clunk" because, what one person interprets a sound as, another, (many others) will and or, quite often, interpret it differently and, will therefore, offer up what THEY think is the culprit. At this point in time, if you were darn sure you were in first gear, and you were going very slow, it's possible you might be getting a tad bit of pre-ignition or, in the old days, us old shade tree mechanics would call it "pinging". On my recent experience where I burned my leg on the exhaust header pipe from a fall, I was working the bike ultra slow, also in first, on a very rocky trail, and it too, at that time, was "clunking" or, possibly pinging. My chain is a new chain and is at the correct tightness so, slapping around from the chain, I'm pretty darn sure wasn't making my noise.

Now, on yours, could something be loose, largen and with enough momentum to move enough to "clunk"? Well, who knows. If that were the case, I might think it would also be making the noise on rougher pavement, concrete seams and driveway entries etc. So, again, hard to really accurately answer. Good luck and please report back if you find the culprit, so that others may learn.
Scott

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
It's called lugging (too low RPM and too high torque) and it's very bad for the engine. If you hear it on a steep hill you have two choices: Hit the kill switch, stop, lay the bike down and turn it around and go back down and try again at a much higher RPM, or if you are very near the top feather the clutch to get the RPM's up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's called lugging (too low RPM and too high torque) and it's very bad for the engine. If you hear it on a steep hill you have two choices: Hit the kill switch, stop, lay the bike down and turn it around and go back down and try again at a much higher RPM, or if you are very near the top feather the clutch to get the RPM's up.
thanks for the feedback. I will try to keep the RPM's up when in situations like this. yeah it seems to stop when I put the clutch in and increase the RPM's.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Outside of really tall hills ... which honestly I haven't done any huge ones ... I find I can climb pretty much everything in 2nd gear just fine. In fact, the trails/hills I've climbed (which include a solid hill of river rock) have done better in second gear. It's going to be harder to lug the motor in 2nd/3rd as well.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Could I be having an issue with the clutch?
No, you are having an issue with not understanding what RPM's to use for which situation. Unless of course I'm wrong and your noise is not lugging, but it sure sounds like it! It's a LOUD clanking and sounds like the bottom end is about to self destruct, which is exactly what happens if severe lugging is continued for more than a few seconds. :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, you are having an issue with not understanding what RPM's to use for which situation. Unless of course I'm wrong and your noise is not lugging, but it sure sounds like it! It's a LOUD clanking and sounds like the bottom end is about to self destruct, which is exactly what happens if severe lugging is continued for more than a few seconds. :eek:
yeah it like a clank clank sound. However, being in 1st gear on this bike should that ever happen?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
lugging is like pedaling in the wrong gear, to large of a front chain ring and too small in the rear, hard to make your legs move.

there's a hillclimb at my local motorcycle park that would always get me... i'd hit it in 2nd and wring it's neck out, hit in 3rd and start lugging it 1/2 way up. i never could find the right combo of gearing and speed.

my tw226... loves 3rd with no complaints, eats that hill up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
"Lugging" can happen in ANY gear. It has no preference. Momentum, speed, engine rpm, driver skill, gear selection and more, all play a part in traversing trails, especially hills. The lower the gear, the less potential for lugging but, it can still happen, with ease, if the rider is not paying attention to ALL circumstances. I know, I just did it in a recent ride on a very rocky trail which, I was in first and going about as slow as a trials rider. There were times when I basically wasn't moving forward but, still staying upright on the bike. And I could hear the lugging with a ton of clutch work. NOT GOOD! So, yes, it can happen in all gears. One can't advise to just "speed up" in order to not lug an engine. Lots of hills and trails, dictate the use of slower speeds and more controlled riding. The more experience a rider gains, the more they'll use the correct speed, proper gear for the circumstance, for each trail/hill application.
Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
My son was getting a "clunk-clunk" noise on his new 2017 TW when on the trails and not on the road. Turned out to be the chain slapping on the swing arm, the dealer or maybe the factory, didn't install the chain slider/guard. Might be worth a look. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think that the best way to find out if you are lagging it or if it's the chain slack is to hear if the noise is happening even during applying little throttle.
If it is,it's chain slack.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with admiral and have experienced this. Check chain tension for being too loose. I am of the opinion that the concentric chain adjusters either leave the chain too tight or too loose, but you definitely don't want to run it tight. You may consider removing a link from the chain if if the best adjustment is still too loose.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
A rule of thumb to avoid lugging is whatever the RPMs, gear and road conditions, if you add a little bit of throttle and the bike does not accelerate noticeably you are in too high of a gear and need to downshift, maybe even two gears This precedes the lugging sound by a few tenths of a second, depending on how much throttle you add. So naturally if you are climbing a steep hill in first gear at medium RPM's and the bike starts to slow against full throttle you are going to enter lugging very quickly. If you are only 10 feet from the top the bike might make it over before lugging, but once it starts you MUST shut down immediately!

A look at the torque/horsepower curve reveals a lot about what RPM to use for what situation:
TW Torque HP Curves.jpg
The best power for climbing hills will be from where the torque curve crosses the power curve up to the top of the power curve, which is 5,000 to 8,000 RPM. It is also where you will get the best acceleration in any gear.

Now go to https://www.gearingcommander.com/ It is the go to site to decide on gearing changes, too.

Load the Yamaha TW200 '87-13 numbers and play with the chart and just below it the three boxes for more charts. Now correlate the power band of about 4,000 to 8,000 RPM from above and you will be able to decide on shift points for max acceleration, medium acceleration, slow acceleration, and any other things about riding the TW you want to explore: uphill, downhill, putt-putting on the level, whatever. I tend to use much lower RPM's than one might guess from the chart UNLESS I'm trying to merge onto a four lane when I will take all gears to 8,000! Well, not fifth because I can't get it over 60 up here. :p The problem we run into a lot out here is that the steep hills are so eroded by ATV's that I can't even go 10 mph in first sometimes without getting bounced off and that is below the power band. I have to turn around. :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts