TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I've been tooling around with the idea of getting a dirt bike. I'm 44 years old, my wife and I have two sons 17 & 15. None of us have ever ridden. Two years ago we sold our pop-up trailer and bought a motorhome. While camping we've been looking for other things to do. Fishing is really not for us. When the kids were younger we were very heavy in the Jeeps and 4x4ing; living in Colorado that makes sense. Moab trips twice or even three times a year.

I'm short and round. 5'10", 250lbs. My kids are no taller, but luckily still skinny. My wife is 110lbs and 5"6". My wife is not to keen on the idea of us getting in to ridding. In fact she does not like the idea of us owning any type of motorcycle. She loves us and does not want us to get hurt, :rolleyes: ;)

I work about 3 miles from our house, all paved streets, nothing over 45mph speed limit. All the reading I'm doing tells me a TW200 is a great bike for us. We could take it camping, I could even ride it work during the summer.

QUESTION: Is the bike too small for someone of my "roundness"? I am 42 and only care slightly how I look on it, mostly when riding around our town. I know it sounds shallow, but am slightly concerned. Not concerned enough to go the gym mind you. :) While camping I could care less. The reading I've done says the motor will push me around fine. I don't really want to go 65+mph, for now

The plan would be for us to learn on this, maybe even get my wife to ride it once or twice. Riding is in her family and think she would love it once she did. We rented some ATVs once and I saw her smiling the enter time. Well until she saw me watching her then she put on the face of a concern parent immediately.

I could see the boys and I upgrading to something more powerful later. Meaning it's a good bike to start with, and probably end up keeping!?

My rider safety course is scheduled for Tuesday-Wednesday this week. It's spring break so I think I will try and take the 17 year old with me.

I'm thinking about purchasing new. There are only a few used on Craigslist. I can pick up a new 2015 for $3600.

QUESTION: Is there any advantage year over year? 2016 vs 2015. or even is 2015 vs 2006 or 2008?

Thanks,

I try to be a searcher when joining a new form.

Here are the link that I've saved already

OMG: Fat Tracker: Wolf Moto's chunky Yamaha TW200 | Bike EXIF

Best OFF ROAD ONLY mods for the TW - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

https://sites.google.com/site/bltoffroad/tw200

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/5539-just-bought-2013-t-dub-mods-detailed.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/3909-new-bike-new-adventure-new-questions.html#post38222

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/17932-hitch-carrier-vs-truck-ramp.html

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Welcome aboard John!
Looks like you are on the right track...ask lotsa questions!
Kudos for taking the MSF course, and including your son.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Buy one and plan to keep it forever. They are that good of a bike, especially for learning, wife's, kids or old geezers like me. Easy to learn on, very dependable good bikes. Buy any year you want to, except for perhaps an 87 first year model. The older ones have kick starters along with electric starting and its nice to have that in an emergency if the battery fails somewhere. Don't worry about your size one bit. There are guys way bigger than you here bro!! :D

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
We don't want you to get hurt either!!:p Take the course, find a TW, and get good protective gear right off the bat. You can get hurt on a bicycle too! A TW is so much fun to ride at a leisurely pace, as anyone here over the age of 40 will testify. After you get a few miles under your belt, a VERY highly recommended book is http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536

The key to being safe on the streets, even back streets, is awareness, and he does a good job of showing what to be aware of. Some of it is technical and of less interest to most. I had been riding on and off for 50 years and I learned stuff from it that I had never encountered......in fact, I ought to go re-read it before this season! Being safe in the dirt is easier: ride slowly! :D Learning to ride now is such a fun experience because of the Internet...there is SO much good advice out there....(along with horrible stupid stuff on YouTube that you should NEVER watch! :mad:) I can't believe I taught myself to ride 50 years ago and lived through the experience! In fact, I now take the MSF refresher every two years.

We can steer you to dozens of good safety sites as you gain experience. Two things come immediately to mind: Get brush guards as soon as you buy the bike, you will dump it and break levers if you don't.....and don't take it out on I-25!!! :eek:;)

I went to CC, so I know the area pretty well. There are SO many great rides on decent FS roads in the Rampart Range....but you probably already know that.

If you can pick up a new 2015 for $3600 out the door, GRAB IT!!! :cool:

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
From 2001 right through to 2016 all TWs are basically the same. 1988-2000 and they came with drum front brake and the kick start with electric start and a different carb and electrical system. 1987 is all by it's lonesome with an inferior electric system but otherwise the same. Almost all the parts from any year are interchangeable, ALMOST, so ask before you buy some things. Any TW200 that has a model designation with a C at the end as in TW200 TC is a California model where the same year with the number TW200 T is a non Cal. Model numbers are on the neck behind the fork triple trees and you can also find the build date there. A bike built in the later part of say 1998 could be a 1999 model year. I think it is around August or September when they start making the next model year bikes.
The year bike you buy is up to you but condition and miles is the most important factor once you decide if you want the kick start or front disc brake model. The kick can be swapped from an older engine into a newer one if that is important to you. You can also swap all the parts for the front disc brake upgrade on to any TW. Basically a low mile, showroom condition 2006 is worth just as much as a low mile, showroom condition 2012 and you will be hard pressed to find any substantial difference.

GaryL

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 17 year old and completed our first day of Motorcycle Certification here in Colorado. We were both lucky enough to have 2015 TWs as our trading in bikes. TWs are perfect for us beginners, and I do see me keeping them in the family for a while.

Dealer has these bikes for sale. Under 400 miles on each of them. $3599. New ones are $1000 more. Since these are trainers, probably not ever ridden over 25mph, but probably had the clutch dumped and the gears shifted wrong a couple hundred times. Is the $1000 savings worth it or could too many things be wrong down the road, that would make it not such a good deal?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
My 17 year old and completed our first day of Motorcycle Certification here in Colorado. We were both lucky enough to have 2015 TWs as our trading in bikes. TWs are perfect for us beginners, and I do see me keeping them in the family for a while.

Dealer has these bikes for sale. Under 400 miles on each of them. $3599. New ones are $1000 more. Since these are trainers, probably not ever ridden over 25mph, but probably had the clutch dumped and the gears shifted wrong a couple hundred times. Is the $1000 savings worth it or could too many things be wrong down the road, that would make it not such a good deal?

Hell yes it is worth the savings. Truly new riders could not be as hard on these bikes as some of the veterans on this forum! Yet the TW's seem to take the abuse and ask for more.

Tom

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell yes it is worth the savings. Truly new riders could not be as hard on these bikes as some of the veterans on this forum! Yet the TW's seem to take the abuse and ask for more.

Tom
That's great news. Just saw one on the net for sale, pretty close to me, 2006 with 500 miles on it. $1995. I'll be taking a look at that one first as I am ing the market for 2. My kid is ALL IN after riding them for 7 hours today. :)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That's great news. Just saw one on the net for sale, pretty close to me, 2006 with 500 miles on it. $1995. I'll be taking a look at that one first as I am ing the market for 2. My kid is ALL IN after riding them for 7 hours today. :)
Well it sounds like you an your boy will strengthen your relationship at a time when lots of teens don't want anything to do with dear ol' dad. Congratulations on that!

Tom

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Jump the 2006 with 500 miles if it is in nice condition and then keep looking for another one. The trainer bikes for $3500 seem a lot over priced to me as you can find these bikes as new left overs for that dollar figure.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Yes get it. OR 2 OR 3 The only problem I see is with a 15 and 17 year olds at home when will you ever get a chance to ride it.:):) That's a great price for a 2006, if you did not get it today it may not be there at that price tomorrow. If I was looking and had the money ready to go, I would have been in the truck and gone the minute I got off the computer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome from a fellow Coloradan! There aren't that many of us on here - I was the only one at Moab, even though it's only 7 hours away from the Front Range.

My wife and I took the ABATE class a couple of years ago, when we were both over 60. Shortly after we acquired a new '13, but pretty soon she got tired of riding on the back (and our combined 360 lb, 220 of which belongs to me, was a bit much for the T-Dub) so we acquired a 2007 for her. I think you'll love the TW for street and off-road, but I'd stay off I-25! I think the machine will handle your 250 just fine.

Being a camping-wilderness-type person, something you might be interested in when you get proficient is the Colorado Backcountry Disovery Route, which I have hopes of riding at least some of this summer, possibly with James from KC, who I met at Moab.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Coloradan! There aren't that many of us on here - I was the only one at Moab, even though it's only 7 hours away from the Front Range.

My wife and I took the ABATE class a couple of years ago, when we were both over 60. Shortly after we acquired a new '13, but pretty soon she got tired of riding on the back (and our combined 360 lb, 220 of which belongs to me, was a bit much for the T-Dub) so we acquired a 2007 for her. I think you'll love the TW for street and off-road, but I'd stay off I-25! I think the machine will handle your 250 just fine.

Being a camping-wilderness-type person, something you might be interested in when you get proficient is the Colorado Backcountry Disovery Route, which I have hopes of riding at least some of this summer, possibly with James from KC, who I met at Moab.
Not to hijack this thread, but Dave, here is the link to our ride report from last summer when Lynn and I rode most of the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route: Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on | Page 12 | Adventure Rider

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2000 Yamaha tw200 only 500 miles since new

I took the pass on this one. I didn't even drive the 2.5 hours down to look at it. Wiith only 500 miles on it, and the current owner saying "that it sat for a long time, prior to him getting it" made me worry. Worry that the current owner found an issue caused by it sitting for too long and is trying to get rid of a project gone bad.

I am working a deal for (2) 2015 at the dealer we took our class from. He has two with under 400 miles that they used for riding classes.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You are probably correct....sitting for a long time particularly if not mothballed, which only .001% of owners ever do, is a recipe for quite a bit of work and headaches. The class TW's, on the other hand, may have some cosmetic damage but are FAR more likely to have been ridden regularly and reasonably well maintained. There isn't much maintenance to be done before 400 miles, with the exception of oil changes. We recommend changing the oil at 50, 150, 300, and 800 before going to the normal 1,000 to 2,000 mile changes, then using full synthetic after 2,000. I can guarantee the dealer did not do that, so I would negotiate an oil change into the price. I would also try to get him to check the valve clearances or do that yourself soon. Mine were a bit out of spec by 800 miles.

The reason for so many early oil changes is that the little beast makes a lot of metal in the first 500 miles....might as well get it out ASAP. Just clean and re-use the OEM filter indefinitely. (Mine is at 12,500 miles now, still fine)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts