TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1987 Yamaha TW200 by K9 Gromit, on Flickr

It followed me home yesterday... Runs, goes through all the gears well, needs new brakes. Plan at this point is to give it a good cleaning, oil change, sprockets and chain (shot) and see what I have. Long term plan is to have my wife use it as a first bike in the spring. Great to see all the assembled knowledge here...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7000 miles. She's not perfect but she's all there (except for the foam part of the air filter). Appears she has suffered a bit from being on a "deferred maintainance plan" but nothing too severe. Started up at the sellers after use of battery charger and starter spray but ran fine after that. Pulled the battery today and half the cells were very low so I filled them up and it's on a slow charge now. Going to be a couple of days until I can get 2 new oil filters and then the plan is to do a change, run it for 50 miles and do another. Going to futz with the brake adjustment before I replace the shoes just to see if that's the issue. Looks like it will be a good winter project.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was shocked (and pleased) to find it had a kicker. When did that go away?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I was shocked (and pleased) to find it had a kicker. When did that go away?
W_E_L_L_C_O_M_E................. 2001. It also lost the front drum brake then...........Have a great winter fixing her up.... Then start riding it hard (or easy) (O: in the spring.. OMM.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
that looks great for a 25yr old, congrats! i know given the choice between disc front brake and a kickstarter, i'll take the kickstarter, but the kit to put a kickstarter on a 2001 and later is easier than retrofiting a disc to pre-2001.

as you noted, there is a great wealth of knowledge on here and wonderful people willing to share it and help you. enjoy that great find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts