TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
This is my first motorcycle and I got it a few months ago. I've done a 100 mile bicycle ride this past summer and that was a bit different but has similarities. As far as the helmet: yeah I'm considering what to do about that. The helmet fits snugs and hasn't given me any issues with regular usage. It started to become an issue at maybe hour 4 of riding. Considering modifying inside pad or should I look into a different helmet? Earplugs, check.

After your long ride, did you have any aches behind your neck/upper shoulders? And no helmet issues for you?
With your helmet I was referring the visor portion....catching the wind. For slower speeds & exploring a visor is fine, but for trip you did...isn't the best choice. That's a reason, along with @littletommy's comment, for the aches & pains in those areas. As for comfort....perhaps you'd get used to it? I don't know. Different brands fit differently, just have to try some on, and go with your gut. You truly never know how comfortable one will be until you've worn it multiple times, and on some lengthy rides. Get it broken into around your noggin'. :)

I wear a full face Scorpion, and have no issues after riding that long, but I've been riding/some racing (on another bike) since '06, and do many long rides when I do ride, so I've just gotten used to it.

With your lack of riding time....on a trip that long....aches & pains are expected. You did good I'd say!! (y)

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
450 Posts
Hey what’s up tdub community. I recently got a used one, finished revitalizing it, and made a video about it.

Edit: I revised my video...

Scrolled ahead & saw you changed the paint, again! Man, I thought you just nailed it with that distressed green from the last of your first restyling efforts - layered a bitchin' retro army motif onto the already retro-cool TW, but hey, it's all about what works for your eye! Great work, great vid edits. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Scrolled ahead & saw you changed the paint, again! Man, I thought you just nailed it with that distressed green from the last of your first restyling efforts - layered a bitchin' retro army motif onto the already retro-cool TW, but hey, it's all about what works for your eye! Great work, great vid edits. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah a part of me wished I kept the distressed green but when I took this picture of it, it blended into nature and I wanted it to pop out a little more. I look forward to my 2017- emulated paint to come
Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Fuel tank

It’s def more badass... the navy/white I’ll be doing is a little more classy and retro

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Looking forward to the next paint job as well as your first two.

Great video and yes, after a long ride I get some aches and a slight burning sensation base of neck between shoulder. This is usually after sitting in one position too long without turning head enough. Even a two minute off the bike stretch will help. I don't want to blame it on age or the T-Dub as I have had this type of discomfort during a long ride on every bike I have owned/ridden. Changing back posture is another help along the way, well as twisting/stretching left to right while in the saddle. Standing on the pegs for a mile or so also helps.

Marty

Reactions: Ken and q4short

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looking forward to the next paint job as well as your first two.

Great video and yes, after a long ride I get some aches and a slight burning sensation base of neck between shoulder. This is usually after sitting in one position too long without turning head enough. Even a two minute off the bike stretch will help. I don't want to blame it on age or the T-Dub as I have had this type of discomfort during a long ride on every bike I have owned/ridden. Changing back posture is another help along the way, well as twisting/stretching left to right while in the saddle. Standing on the pegs for a mile or so also helps.

Marty
Yea, I preferred to stand when idling at red lights and turning my head left, right, up and down to stretch my neck. Def not doing any one day trips To this extent. My body took all week to recover and I’m still not back to 100% yet. I’m happy with a half day on the bike or even just a few hours

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Yea, I preferred to stand when idling at red lights and turning my head left, right, up and down to stretch my neck. Def not doing any one day trips To this extent. My body took all week to recover and I’m still not back to 100% yet. I’m happy with a half day on the bike or even just a few hours
You'd give up riding altogether if you rode with Scooter & I! 😁

·
Registered
450 Posts
Consider a handlebar/riser upgrade, or just a riser, if you don’t want to get too carried away. There are adjustable ones that can give you up to 2” more height & adjustability fore & aft.

Lots of info on forums here. Can dramatically improve control, feel & ergonomics for more comfortable saddle time. Less neck, back & shoulder pain can be your reward, beyond the better riding “feel.”

Seat pads are another economical upgrade many have had success with & there are a handful of really good looking ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Consider a handlebar/riser upgrade, or just a riser, if you don’t want to get too carried away. There are adjustable ones that can give you up to 2” more height & adjustability fore & aft.

Lots of info on forums here. Can dramatically improve control, feel & ergonomics for more comfortable saddle time. Less neck, back & shoulder pain can be your reward, beyond the better riding “feel.”

Seat pads are another economical upgrade many have had success with & there are a handful of really good looking ones.
I saw on tdubskid install of his risers that he had to reroute wires and even had to extend some. I don't think I want to put in that work! I don't plan to ride all day like this ever again so I don't anticipate the physical challenge I faced here. Plus I have a seat concepts saddle ordered!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on a sweet bike. I just, having literally found out about the TW200s 1 week ago. I had to reply as your purpose for getting this is exactly why I Must get one (80% urban, with some light trail... unfortunately I live in Marin county, CA, so trails might only be 2%?). But I had the exact same search as yours, seeing little in the way of similar bikes. I first ran across the Honda Grom type, but didn't care for the all-street aspect, small tires, and touchy steering, et al.). Saw the VanVan, nice, but still not it. Then saw these, of which there are many, and people love them! At 44, I am not looking to get hurt, and I'm not an aggressive driver, and the tame nature of the TW seems perfect. I also don't really care about highway driving. So, now I just need to get my license, and convince my dad it's an okay investment 😃. Not to mention his worry for my safety.
Thanks for the video, and have fun!
Ryan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Congrats on a sweet bike. I just, having literally found out about the TW200s 1 week ago. I had to reply as your purpose for getting this is exactly why I Must get one (80% urban, with some light trail... unfortunately I live in Marin county, CA, so trails might only be 2%?). But I had the exact same search as yours, seeing little in the way of similar bikes. I first ran across the Honda Grom type, but didn't care for the all-street aspect, small tires, and touchy steering, et al.). Saw the VanVan, nice, but still not it. Then saw these, of which there are many, and people love them! At 44, I am not looking to get hurt, and I'm not an aggressive driver, and the tame nature of the TW seems perfect. I also don't really care about highway driving. So, now I just need to get my license, and convince my dad it's an okay investment 😃. Not to mention his worry for my safety.
Thanks for the video, and have fun!
Ryan
Sweet! Thanks for your comment man. I'm lovin the bike. I would say, the only thing I didn't anticipate was the extra cost of gear. The nicer stuff goes up in cost quite a bit. I got a good bang for the buck helmet, which ran $160 or so, really nice pair of leather gloves $200 (I didn't pay attention to price tag), and hesitated on getting riding boots.... until a cousin and two friends (all girls) insisted that I should get them because how much would it suck losing mobility in my legs/ankles/feet if anything were to happen (playing tennis regularly is very important to me). So those ran another $200. So now I tell myself to wear the boots for anything other than "just a quickie"

·
Registered
450 Posts
I saw on tdubskid install of his risers that he had to reroute wires and even had to extend some. I don't think I want to put in that work! I don't plan to ride all day like this ever again so I don't anticipate the physical challenge I faced here. Plus I have a seat concepts saddle ordered!
Seat Concepts are great, I hear. Good choice!

I just received a ProTaper KX 1 1/8” handlebar & the ProTaper (3/4” Rise) 7/8” to 1 1/8” adapter/riser, along with a set of Acerbis X-Factory hand guards. Installing all soon.

The KX bar itself is pretty close to the TW OE bar in fit/measurement specs. The ProTaper adapter/riser will give me 3/4” more height.

I’m not super tall in the torso & I don’t ride standing on the pegs much, so have no need for max height on the bars, that so many seek.

Like you, I also had/have zero interest in messing around extending or re-routing cables/wires.

I read you can safely avoid any problems with OE cable/wire lengths if you keep the combined value (height/rise) of your replacement bar rise & riser/adapter rise at, or below 2”, total rise, over stock/OE.

I chose my setup knowing that the bar would be a nice baseline upgrade & if my needs change in the future, I can always go with a taller riser adapter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Love the color and the paint job! I've done a lot of relic style paint jobs on my old v-twin harleys, but haven't made the leap to painting plastic yet. Personally I like my stuff to look a little funky and aged, I feel like it's less likely to be stolen haha.

You seem like a great addition to this wonderful community that I also just recently joined. Welcome!

Reactions: q4short

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Love the color and the paint job! I've done a lot of relic style paint jobs on my old v-twin harleys, but haven't made the leap to painting plastic yet. Personally I like my stuff to look a little funky and aged, I feel like it's less likely to be stolen haha.

You seem like a great addition to this wonderful community that I also just recently joined. Welcome!
Glad to be part of such a community that enjoys their bike as much as me

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's not that big of a deal to add 2" Rox risers. Reroute consists of merely loosening or moving a few tie straps. Risers and tall bars you may have to change or reroute the cables. 2" riser made a big difference for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm secretly jealous of you guys with the black wheels. Makes the tires look fatter and more Tdubby. I'll make it work for me though and make my bike unique. I'm sure some others see my bare aluminum and wish they had them instead of black so w/e haha

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
He also added aftermarket bars (don’t recall which), so they most likely added to the overall rise, therefore needing to lengthen some wires, etc.

I installed ROX 2" risers (kept OEM bars) few days ago, and didn't "have to" adjust any cables, etc., but did a few since obviously they get a bit snug with a 2" rise.

The front brake hose was the snuggest of all, and I simply cut the zip-tie that held hose to the headlight bracket to loosen it up.

I rerouted the clutch cable today since I was replacing my clutch lever. Points to new route.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
He also added aftermarket bars (don’t recall which), so they most likely added to the overall rise, therefore needing to lengthen some wires, etc.

I installed ROX 2" risers (kept OEM bars) few days ago, and didn't "have to" adjust any cables, etc., but did a few since obviously they get a bit snug with a 2" rise.

The front brake hose was the snuggest of all, and I simply cut the zip-tie that held hose to the headlight bracket to loosen it up.

View attachment 212945

I rerouted the clutch cable today since I was replacing my clutch lever. Points to new route.

View attachment 212946
So wait, let me get this right. With 2 inch Rox risers and OEM bars, it was snug and you didn't "have to" but you cut the zip tie to the brakehose and rerouted the clutch cable? I guess I'm hearing conflicting info and I'm not convinced

41 - 60 of 77 Posts