TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a newbie to the TW200 world, I've been looking for a used one for under 1k, There is a guy close to me that has a '88 for $550 (pic below), says it runs but it missing gas cap, headlight and ignition, does that seem like a decent price? I've been seeing a lot of custom TW200's (café style maybe?) that I like so I might go down that route, Is there a good site that you guys use to get parts or custom seats,headlights, etc. Thanks in advance! -PJ

tw200.png

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D I think that one is a 87 though. It's kind of rare to find a good running TW for under $1,000. That one will need some work. Just new tires will run you a couple hundred... and so on...
Hello, I'm a newbie to the TW200 world, I've been looking for a used one for under 1k, There is a guy close to me that has a '88 for $550 (pic below), says it runs but it missing gas cap, headlight and ignition, does that seem like a decent price? I've been seeing a lot of custom TW200's (café style maybe?) that I like so I might go down that route, Is there a good site that you guys use to get parts or custom seats,headlights, etc. Thanks in advance! -PJ

View attachment 85345

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!! :D I think that one is a 87 though. It's kind of rare to find a good running TW for under $1,000. That one will need some work. Just new tires will run you a couple hundred... and so on...
Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured it would be a project for under $1000, would you pass on that one though? I didn't know if it was a decent deal or not

·
Registered
13,641 Posts

View attachment 85345
Even for $550 (and maybe you can negotiate a lower price), at the very least you could part it out and get your money back if not more. Since it runs, and you could verify that prior to purchase, that is a plus but make sure it runs not only at idle but going down the street/road.

Gas caps can be bought.

Same for headlight stuff.

With missing ignition, I would verify the TW is not stolen and if the owner has the title. Caution here as you wouldn't want to be buying a stolen vehicle. VIN check with police may be in order.

Looks mostly intact with all the other parts though it looks like left rear turn signal is broken as it's hanging down and plastic above muffler is melted. A lot of this TW can be spruced up with paint, new parts, etc. on you time. Of course there are a couple immediate needs (Gas cap).

I would not buy this thinking you can start using it to commute to work/school and will take some time to be brought back to life.

That's just a few things I can think of to tell you. Other members will have other idea's as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would be surprised if you could keep it under $1000. Did you try the kick start lever to see if the engine is frozen? Also bounce the front & rear suspension to see if the forks/shocks work OK.

If you wanted to put it back to original condition it will probably run over $1000. You would be better finding one closer to original and running even if it is over $1000.

On the other hand it may be a good starting point for a custom bike but that would easily go over $1k. Another alternative is a spare parts doner bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I really appreciate the advice guys, he says bill of sale no title so I might ask him to take a pic of the vin# and I can run a check on it, It would be just for fun riding around the neighborhood and stuff like that, also I don't mind putting money into over time I just wanted to start out with one under $1000 then slowly fix it up over time,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the other hand it may be a good starting point for a custom bike but that would easily go over $1k. Another alternative is a spare parts doner bike.
^^ that's kind of what I was thinking, a running project bike that I can work on from time to time

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
The no title thing isn't so good... just sayin... Keep us posted what ever you do. We'll do our best to help you fixing it up!! :D
Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured it would be a project for under $1000, would you pass on that one though? I didn't know if it was a decent deal or not

·
Registered
60 Posts
No title in Iowa is a pain in the butt, you need to post a Bond and do a lot of other stuff. If its been used as a donor bike, IE missing a lot of parts and the Ignition, does he mean the $400 CDI box and the rest or what? If it started and ran then the no title thing depending on your state and I would check first can be handled. But all and all, get yourself a part time job and start saving up for something better. You sound like your in school, forgive me If I have miss judged!!
I started out as a 14 year old kid buying a POS Cushman scooter, that just needed a little TLC. That was a long, long time ago.

Oh and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I admire your ambition. But, if you will, please listen to someone who has been down that road a time or two...

Save your money and spend more on the base bike. 1800 to 2k is a good starting point for a TW.
Make sure you have a CLEAR title in the seller's name.
Get proof. Don't worry about insulting someone. Ask to see ID.
Getting caught with stolen property opens you up to further investigation that may be a bit more intimate than you would think.
Yes, even if you did nothing wrong.
A person I know (not me) had the Feds drop by his shop and check the VIN on every engine, frame and complete bike after he tried to register a bike that had an open title.. They padlocked his shop because they found............. a few VINs that were not in the system. Not even stolen, just not in the system. So far, it has cost him over 20k and a year's worth of lost business.
.......Back to your issue.
You plan to spend money to make a custom bike out of a TW. Great.
Lots of time is going to be spent doing all sorts of custom work.
Do you really want to spend even more time screwing around trying to fix the oddball problems a crappy bike will undoubtedly have?
I buy bikes all the time. I restore them for myself. The most important lession I learned was to start off with the best bike that could be found. It is actually cheaper in the long run. I have unfortunately proven this out many times.

You don't know me, and I stand to gain or lose nothing from what you do. I am only trying to help you to not make expensive mistakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all Thanks for all the replies, the people in this forum are great!........that being said I did not read most of the replies before I rushed off after work and bought the bike :eek:, I did do a online Vin check before I went and it came up clear in the NICB system, It is not in great shape but I was looking for more of a projects anyways I think it will be fun to fix up over the next few years with my sons, the ignition was there but not wired right, also it does run I rode it around for a minute, I do need a gas cap immediately and I'm going to do some clean up on it tomorrow........I will need a lot of advice in the future with this project for sure so thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hey congrats. Enjoy your project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts