TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little something from the Tokyo Motor Show!!!

• TW225 (Exhibition model / production model planned)

The best-selling TW200, popular for its distinctive "fat tires, slim body" look, its potential as an attractive base model for customizing and its great performance in around-town riding, has been reborn as the TW225 with a new bored-out 223cc engine. This boosts performance in the most used power range and adds that extra power people want for around town and tandem riding. Other changes include a shortened rear end and new fixtures like the meter panel.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
...:eek:...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'd buy the first one I saw, but according to the Yamaha web site it wasn't for export, that was the 2001 Tokyo motor show.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
All rumors are good, even old ones, I'd love a tw225!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
silly question, but why aren't there more easily accessible parts from the tw225 to upgrade our beloved steeds?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
XT225 crank, cylinder and piston, Check E-bay.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are there any differences in the XT225 other than crank, cylinder, and piston? Cam? Timing? 223cc's stuffed into the head for 196cc's increases the compression ratio from 9.5 to 10.8.

i'm not even close to an engine builder but I'm betting most of the power gain from going to an XT225 could be had with a high compression piston if one existed. Which it probably doesn't. Someone that had the knowledge and skills might be able add enough cc's of material to the combustion chamber of a TW200 to raise the CR to that point. Have no idea what that might cost but it might be cheaper.

The KLX 250/300 has a CR of 11:1 and they are pretty bullet proof so I'd think the TW should hold up to that.

I put a 300 barrel on my old 250 and it kicked the CR up to around 12.5:1. First time I kicked over I knew I had some grunt. Lots more everywhere but especially on the bottom.

Remember when the flat head engines had the head milled down a bit for great drag racing results?

Do you know anybody in Gentry, Arkansaw?

·
Registered
177 Posts
can you really "bore out" the tw to 223cc?? I thought I saw someone do the math on that and best you could get was like 212cc or something like that? if I can bore out my tw to 223cc I would prob do it

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Are there any differences in the XT225 other than crank, cylinder, and piston? Cam? Timing? 223cc's stuffed into the head for 196cc's increases the compression ratio from 9.5 to 10.8.

i'm not even close to an engine builder but I'm betting most of the power gain from going to an XT225 could be had with a high compression piston if one existed. Which it probably doesn't. Someone that had the knowledge and skills might be able add enough cc's of material to the combustion chamber of a TW200 to raise the CR to that point. Have no idea what that might cost but it might be cheaper.

The KLX 250/300 has a CR of 11:1 and they are pretty bullet proof so I'd think the TW should hold up to that.

I put a 300 barrel on my old 250 and it kicked the CR up to around 12.5:1. First time I kicked over I knew I had some grunt. Lots more everywhere but especially on the bottom.

Remember when the flat head engines had the head milled down a bit for great drag racing results?

Do you know anybody in Gentry, Arkansaw?
From what I've been told, the crank piston and cylinder swap is pretty simple, the 25cc bump isn't much, but the longer stroke is worth the effort. I'm gathering parts, one of these days I'll yank the motor out and do the converson. Don't know a soul in Gentry, been through there a time or two though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts