TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over three days managed to drain a good portion of NIbbler's 4 gallon tank riding the Dogskins and surrounds.

Couldn't go everywhere I had planned as the stock Trailwing rear tire really lacks the traction and stability I take for granted in soft sand that the other TW, Betty Boop, seems to take in stride with her Terracross ATV tire.
So I got stuck, crashed a few times with bike upside down and tires in air, failed hillclimbs and generally did not look my best.
Once upside down the carberation goes funky so re-starts become difficult and a source of nervousness so far from anywhere a rescue vehicle could reach. Would have been mighty long walks back to camp if I couldn't hitch a ride on a worn out mustang.

Have seen the same herd several times. This mare is not looking good.

Looking better in the traction department is this soon to be installed substitute in the middle, a DuroV2 :

I chose a secluded canyon with shade for my 4x4 camp. By going about 11 miles beyond a total zoo of countless Easter Breakers in several large encampments I was able to get beyond most of their whoops , noise and risk from other cross traffic on intersecting mazes of roads and trails.

Instead I had silent evenings except for the songs of coyotes, plus clear stargazing before the moonrise, and deep philosophical ponderings as to whether I was a log cabin firewood stacker or a teepee conical arranger of firewood.
What say you... Log Cabin, or Teepee?

I did make it back to a geocache I visited last November...LittleTommy might have to reach into the alcove just right of the fireplace to get the cylinder but it has some nice messages.

While it is on a bit of a mountain top with a stellar view I would loan Tommy a suitably knobbied TW so we could go visit it.

...just on the far side of this pinnacle. Still a bit of snow to chill the beverages during day and conversely insulate them to prevent them from overnight freezing in the mid-20's.:)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
always was a tepee myself fred

·
Super Moderator
14,427 Posts
Sounds like Nibbler (and you) will appreciate the new DV2 rear tire for future explorations. Those "RV Cities" look huge. I'd stay as far away as possible too. Lori and I saw a big RV city on a ride up north of Idaho City last year. I'm not sure if it's a semi-permanent camp or just chance but I could see this camp with all the RV's in Google Earth. Weird!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
21,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fear new Power Grip is too tall and wide for Nibbler's stock swing arm, was purchased for Betty Boop and her sealed tubeless 14 " rim.
Nibbler deserves one of the 3 trailer wheel conversions so can run a 12" rim with a shorter, narrower & lighter Power Grip V2. TW-Brian knows someone toying with a novel bolt together CNC hub concept that sounds very interesting so have delayed pulling the trigger on either of the two existing trailer wheel conversions. Maybe some day, until then Nibbler stays off of the deep loose steep sandy hillclimbs that Betty Boop shines on.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I would love to see a high quality two piece trailer wheel
Hub become available. Maybe even manufactured from
Aluminum . Most of our Tdubs are quickly becoming
Heavier then they need to be.. Just like some of us riders l

·
Registered
956 Posts
Log cabin style stacker myself, those are some great pictures, Fred.

If you run into those horses again and they are looking worse for wear, if you feel inclined, maybe hit up an equine vet... Might be able to put you in touch with someone/groups that could help if that herd is in a bad way. I know some states have foundations and groups that will go out and locate/treat wild horses depending on location.

Looks like a good time out though! I'd love to be by a campfire out in the woods right now.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I tend to build my campfires log cabin style..
I don't build them near often enough anymore.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Over three days managed to drain a good portion of NIbbler's 4 gallon tank riding the Dogskins and surrounds.
View attachment 213512

Couldn't go everywhere I had planned as the stock Trailwing rear tire really lacks the traction and stability I take for granted in soft sand that the other TW, Betty Boop, seems to take in stride with her Terracross ATV tire.
So I got stuck, crashed a few times with bike upside down and tires in air, failed hillclimbs and generally did not look my best.
Once upside down the carberation goes funky so re-starts become difficult and a source of nervousness so far from anywhere a rescue vehicle could reach. Would have been mighty long walks back to camp if I couldn't hitch a ride on a worn out mustang.
View attachment 213513

Looking better in the traction department is this soon to be installed substitute in the middle, a DuroV2 :
View attachment 213514

I chose a secluded canyon with shade for my 4x4 camp. By going about 11 miles beyond a total zoo of countless Easter Breakers in several large encampments I was able to get beyond most of their whoops , noise and risk from other cross traffic on intersecting mazes of roads and trails.
View attachment 213515

View attachment 213516

Instead I had silent evenings except for the songs of coyotes, plus clear stargazing before the moonrise, and deep philosophical ponderings as to whether I was a log cabin firewood stacker or a teepee conical arranger of firewood.

View attachment 213517

I did make it back to a geocache I visited last November...LittleTommy might have to reach into the alcove just right of the fireplace to get the cylinder but it has some nice messages.
View attachment 213518

While it is on a bit of a mountain top with a stellar view I would loan Tommy a suitably knobbied TW so we could go visit it.
View attachment 213519

...just on the far side of this pinnacle. Still a bit of snow to chill the beverages during day and conversely insulate them to prevent them from overnight freezing in the mid-20's.:)
View attachment 213520
I will never understand why people like to pack up so tight..
Maybe they were sardines in a former life

Reactions: Tweaker and Ken

·
Registered
21,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rode out there again this morning astride Betty Boop looking for some lost gear from yesterday. She was stable and confidence inspiring in the deep sand and had the traction to backtrack some of yesterday's meanderings.
I passed even more encampments of fairly large RVs with all sorts of toys mostly parked or just racing around their immediate surroundings. No one seemed to be more than a mile or so from likely base camps, no one seemed to be ranging far afield on the numerous trail networks that I could see.

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
Hey Fred,

Sorry for the seemingly never-ending delays on that prototype that I promised you. My last promised date is tax day, April 15th (but I predict that will be delayed until at least May 15th just like the federal gov't has done).

Just a reminder that the 26x9 Duro V2 should fit on the stock swingarm just fine (if you'd like trying to wrestle it onto the stock rear wheel). More clearance than the original Duro that you and I used to run on the stock/wheel swingarm,

While these pics show it on a 12" trailer wheel, the swingarm clearance should be roughly equivalent.

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That tire looks huge and heavy. Maybe you need to fill it with helium so that the higher you go in elevation it will keep going up. Just don't go too high or it might pop like the balloons do.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
View attachment 213512

View attachment 213513

View attachment 213514

View attachment 213515

View attachment 213516

View attachment 213517

View attachment 213518

View attachment 213519

View attachment 213520
Never could understand when some people's idea of "Getting Away from it All" was to camp in packs stuffed in together like so many squeezed Sardines...you done good Fred to keep as far away as possible from that ...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Log cabin style stacker myself, those are some great pictures, Fred.

If you run into those horses again and they are looking worse for wear, if you feel inclined, maybe hit up an equine vet... Might be able to put you in touch with someone/groups that could help if that herd is in a bad way. I know some states have foundations and groups that will go out and locate/treat wild horses depending on location.

Looks like a good time out though! I'd love to be by a campfire out in the woods right now.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I usually do a teepee. I was looking on google earth and saw a maze of roads near prospect hills rd. I can see why you went riding out there. I saw some nice single track up in the hills. Plus this area is not far from Fred’s mountain. The BLM says the horses are mostly black or dark bay With a few gray and grulla.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
21,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moon Rocks area is not far from a wild mustang "sanctuary" where long term herd health is addressed with birth control, adoptions to the public, and periodic round-ups with limited euthanasia to balance herd size with available forage. Fred's Mountain was still too snow bound for the TW, the vegetation free roadbeds hold snow much longer than the undisturbed surrounding slopes. Still loading a video from one nice portion of my visit.

·
Registered
21,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nibbler's video moved to "TW Picture/Video"
Betty Boop.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts