TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Nice loop with some lightning to boot!

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  darnold87 
#1 ·
2 buddies and I went for an overnight trip a couple weekends ago (two TW200's and DRZ400)... Left Salem at midnight on Saturday (technically Sunday I suppose), and headed east. Split south at Stayton and rode the backroads and hills east towards Lions, Mill City and Gates. Got to the summit of Monument Peak around 2am. It was t-shirt weather.
Lightning was striking around us and it was amazing... and a little spooky, I'll be honest. We hit the sleeping bags around 330am just about the same time something big started tromping around in the brush... always nice to try to go to sleep when that happens. We woke up to sunny blue skies and took old forest service roads down to Detroit, then up French Creek and past Opal Lake (should have taken more pics, I love this area)... Then we cross the mountains northward into the Molalla Corridor. And then bombed down to Silverton and back to Salem. Man it was amazing. 165 miles and my Clarke tank wasn't even worried.
Here are some pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
Man, that looks like a pretty precarious camp site! I'd hate to stumble out of the wrong side of the tent camping there!

Thanks for taking us along!

#11 ·
Looked like a really fun ride. You're showing some really nice photo's. I too like the lighning photo as well as the rider on the ATV looking trail and the one on the side of the moutain. Is your camp spot the same one you've camped at before? Kinda looks the same, and I can see why you would go back to it, or find one like it. Makes for a wonderful view when waking up.

Nice ride report, thanks for sharing! Me likie!

#12 ·
You're correct, we have camped here before. The old forest road getting to the top is nasty, but fun. I managed to get my Suzuki Samurai up there years ago but it would be a major task now. There was once a fire lookout on top. We rarely see anyone up there due to the difficulty. Wish I had pics to show how bad it gets...
I need a GoPro to film these rides. Haha

#13 ·
Great photos, beautiful area. That Kelty tent looks like the same model I've been using for about 10 years. Been all over with it, never let me down.

#15 ·
Funny story on the Kelty tent... It is a great backpacking / dualsporting tent... so light weight and easy to set up. I think it's a 'Kelty Gunnison 2'... Anyway, we had a sports store in town closing up shop a couple years ago, and everything was 10% off. Well, the tent's original price was $180. I had decided I wanted it and the cashier girl rang it up as 90% off!! So yeah, that's only $18!! I asked her if she was sure on the price and she said "yep!". So, I paid my $18 and went on my merry way.
Maybe I should have convinced her she had the discount backwards but I decided to take the deal and go with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.