TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing how you guys like to make "clean" customizations I installed a headlight cutoff switch. (pic attached) TW200 Light Cutoff Switch3.jpg

Seems neat and secure enough.

I like this mode when the moon is bright enough to see without lights - as in with our full moon tonight. But, with the headlight off, you still have the dashboard lights glaring up at you, closing your pupils, so it is a lot harder to see than it should be; you need to block the dashboard lights as well.

It seems like more wiring manipulation than I would like to shut off dashboard lights so I have rigged a dashboard light blinder. Yes, that is a Tecate carton as my dashlight blinder is merely a prototype at this point but the concept works great! The flap stays down sufficiently to block the lights but you can reach up and fold it out of your way if you care to see the speedometer - of course you need to see how fast you're going when riding at night without a headlight and one hand on the bars. (You're all welcome to use the beer carton dashboard light blinder royalty free :)

But the beer carton isn't exactly a clean customization. Do you guys have any thoughts how to improve on the dashboard light blinder or must I continue to explain to my brothers that's the best I can come up with?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I used to build police cars and for some we under cover stuff we would make it so one hidden switch killed all the lights on the car. Relays.... lots of relays. Your idea is much simpler for what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You Sir, are a hoot!
"Prototype", hell...go with it!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I however would prefer a Dos Equis prototype myself, but I do appreciate the Tecate model. Well done.

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
Some may express concern about no load on the stator assembly output overloading the regulator/rectifier in sustained stealth mode operation. Unfortunately I do not know what the TW VR is rated for, but others have warned of this in the past. A solution might be to shunt the switch's interrupted power into a bank of ballast resistors capable of soaking up 100 watts or so. Resistors would have to be mounted such that their heat buildup is isolated from plastic and wiring to avoid melting.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know when I use my light cut off switch my rpm's go up. No load I guess.
746 watts equals 1hp, neglecting losses in converting mechanical to electrical power.

So, if you cut out a 55w headlight, 8 watt tail light, and say another 2 watts for the dash lights, you're freeing up about 0.09hp. Might be enough to cause the idle speed to rise a touch, but certainly not enough to significantly affect driving performance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some may express concern about no load on the stator assembly output overloading the regulator/rectifier in sustained stealth mode operation. Unfortunately I do not know what the TW VR is rated for, but others have warned of this in the past. A solution might be to shunt the switch's interrupted power into a bank of ballast resistors capable of soaking up 100 watts or so. Resistors would have to be mounted such that their heat buildup is isolated from plastic and wiring to avoid melting.
This is way over my head. My engine RPM goes up when I turn off the headlight. Does this mean I'm OK? If not, can anyone tell me how I can confirm whether I'm in danger of destroying any electric circuits running with the headlight off?

Jeff

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
Stealth( no lights illuminated) mode is probably OK without any compensating if not done for too long. I wouldn't be afraid to experiment yet monitor for things like an unusually hot voltage regulator/rectifier and battery case after running in stealth mode. Overcharging of battery could occur so monitor and maintain electrolyte levels in a wet cell battery.
Without set bolts it is not hard to feel relative temperatures of circuitry after normal then stealth operation. If things get hot then feed that extra wattage into some form of non-visible energy.
Start with our basic Ohm's Law. V=IR restated as R=V/I as well as the power relationship of P=IV. Using very simple numbers...

Naw, screw the math. Get something like one of these adjustable ballast resistors. Ohmite D50K25RE
shopping 1.jpg

And you thought there was going to be a math quiz.:p

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts