TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this (with the TW) in St. Bonifacius, MN this morning, thought it was interesting!

The Minneapolis area had a bunch of these missile basses to protect the grain, iron ore, cattle, and timber hubs...I believe.

I've also read that during the Cold War, Russia had ICBMs aimed on the Minneapolis area to damage the said industries listed above.

Before my time....

·
Registered
81 Posts
There were quite a few of these tucked around my area, but they don't like to proudly display them like this... Maybe because of the 'the lab'. The county actually got in some serious trouble for using the silos to dump confiscated waste, which they ended having to pay to remove. I used to have a list of locations in ny/nJ and possibly nation wide when I was younger and obsessed with the project rainbow/Phoenix lore.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I found this BOMARC missile base when I was a kid, it was still secret then and no fences..? Can't believe these kids snuck on an active military base.. Especially with that knife.. in today's world they would probably see federal prison time if caught. There is a lot more in that missile base that these guys didn't show.. Don't ask...

There was a bad fire there, one of the missiles caught on fire. The nuclear waste contaminated our ground water from it eventually, we had to move... I live on the other side of town now..

If you look at the pics in my profile the pic of the bike in front of the lake is 1 mile from that base. They (we) found all kinds of deformed wildlife there years ago. I'll probably have the mule at the gates in a few hours to have a fresh look see. Haven't been out that way in a while.

This you tube guy thinks it's Nike, but it's BOMARC ...

Pics of silo that burned.. There were allot of missiles here back in the day. This is now a joint services base... Top secret stuff.. I'm sure the ruskies have there missiles pointed at my backyard.

Official disclosure

image.jpeg .
image.jpeg

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
For the adventurous homeowner with spare cash to burn you can buy one to retro fit as a home
Missile bases, communication bunkers and underground properties

Always wanted to have a go at it, but I'm a little lacking in the wealth department :)
Aren't we all? There was a silo/home for sale upstate New York for a dumb low price considering it came with 100 acres and a landing strip. Used to drool over it, thinking lotto money. Not much has changed come to think of it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
the Hercules was an anti aircraft missile...once ICBM took over from manned bombers these missiles weren't effective. I lived in jersey for a long time, we used to ride out near that BOMARC site...I don't think we snuck in tho. back then Ft Dix and McGuire were both open bases

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
the Hercules was an anti aircraft missile...once ICBM took over from manned bombers these missiles weren't effective. I lived in jersey for a long time, we used to ride out near that BOMARC site...I don't think we snuck in tho. back then Ft Dix and McGuire were both open bases
They were open bases, I remember when the fences started going up. We used to hide in the trees when we were young and watch the tanks run around... Way cool for a kid to watch... I wouldn't mind now a actually.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is an old Nike missile base on Sandy Hook, and I used to fish there and walk past some of the buildings that remain from Fort Hancock. A quick internet search lists it as Site NY-56. You can still climb around on much of them, and who knows what else is out in the dunes that is less visible. There is a missile monument just past the office building when you enter the park. Also still a lot of activity out there since there is still a functioning Coast Guard base out at the end.

ajax_launcher.jpg

As an aside, I shoot at a range in Jackson where you can hear the live-fire exercises at Fort Dix. A few of the active duty guys and the veterans will be able to tell what it is that they're firing too. Sometimes 20mm, sometimes 155s, it always amazes me how they can tell from that far away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts