TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  imlost 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you can saw off the nipple on the exhaust? Does it serve a purpose or is it just a leftover from 1980's styling? I'm just looking for a cleaner and slightly more modern look.

#6 · (Edited)
They say on the forum that the 45 degree street elbow is the best mod for the exhaust. It deflects the sound down and away from you. They mention increased horsepower and I would think anti-wheelie properties since the releasing exhaust will blow towards the ground more pushing the front end back down. Should this be on (Jokes and funny stories)?

Here it is, the important details from the search feature:
Cheapest TW Mod... ;) Aim it down at the ground right behind the bike. The TW's Powerful Exhaust Pressure will actually lift the bike up a little, making it lighter and therefore faster. Also, the back pressure created by the 45 degree bend is said to give you an estimated 2.8 more horsepower...

#8 ·
If you do the 45 degree 1/2" pipe fitting, be sure to paint it flat black. Something about the heat transfer thermal dynamics. Be careful! Don't give it too much throttle. I have heard of chains breaking with this mod. On pavement, tires have been completely shredded.

#9 ·
I'd be worried about the hot blast of exhaust liquifying the asphalt.

#12 ·
My hypothesis is that the resulting increase of torque is just too much for the frame. I didn't factor in the thrust direction possibly killing traction altogether.
When powering up my old slide rule, I found out the batteries were very weak. But still, the screen ran out of decimal places before it went dark. So, I am reporting that the torque and thrust are so great, they are incalculable.

#14 · (Edited)
At least the stock TW nipple does not deliver the annoying exhaust puff-in-the-face if one happens to be in the wrong place behind the louder competition pipe equipped TWs like FMF. Unless one is racing those pipes deserve a down-turned exhaust tip for considerate sociable riding among friends. My solution is try to pass these bikes and certainly avoid parking close behind them.

#19 · (Edited)
I never did like the looks of the wimpy little nipple so I made a little mod. I found a piece of scrap titanium pipe at work and cut it down to where it looked about right. I tried to remove the baffle every way possible but wound up destroying said nipple while finally trying the slide-hammer baffle removal approach. The baffle never budged so I hack-sawed the nipple off, ground the end of the muffler smooth and riveted my newly fabricated Ti pipe on. Looks much more respectable now I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.