TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone's take on this? Has anyone done this to their tires? I am curious myself. With limited fill stations and usually anywhere between 5-10$ a tire I really wonder if its worth it. Sure its a slower leak overall but between hard hits on the trails and the monstrous pot-hole that appear out of nowhere I wonder how it would hold up. I heard they allow for faster overall speed do to the minimal movement of particles with the tire itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It certain applications it's worth while, but for the speeds the tdub reaches I don't believe it's that important. If you have a nitrogen tank at home, great, go with it, otherwise I would use regular air... Either way I would suggest checking tire pressure often... Doesn't matter if regular air or nitrogen are in the tire... If it's low, it's low and a low tire pressure can cause tire damage if left unchecked. If tdubs had tpms systems it might be more worth while, then you'd have an indicator if something was amiss

Personally I think it's another way for a business to make money and keep you coming back... For this reason I wish the Luxury dealer I work for as a technician had a machine to perform nitrogen fills... So I could upsell it to make more hours ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whats everyone's take on this? Has anyone done this to their tires? I am curious myself. With limited fill stations and usually anywhere between 5-10$ a tire I really wonder if its worth it. Sure its a slower leak overall but between hard hits on the trails and the monstrous pot-hole that appear out of nowhere I wonder how it would hold up. I heard they allow for faster overall speed do to the minimal movement of particles with the tire itself.
You're right to wonder. Save your money. Nitrogen is a scam. Using pure nitrogen in tires: is it just a scam? - Detroit Auto Repair | Examiner.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, that was my thinking. I was going to do it to my car a long time ago but my tire shop doesn't have nitrogen to fill up afterwards and I am not traveling across town to fill it up after dishing that much money already for tires. The t-dub only got a second though seeing how I can go A LONG time without replacing the tires themselves and I don't beat it up enough to lose signification psi during my driving season (whenever it will not kick over in late fall). I appropriate the advice/comments guys. Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
The only benefit that I've heard of with Nitrogen filled tires, is it's ability to maintain PSI with temperature changes. Whether temp goes up or down, nitrogen filled tires will have a relatively consistent PSI in comparison to standard air.

I air up and down often so it would be a waste in my application.
-Adam

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I prefer to use helium in mine, lowers the heavy feel in the slow stuff and rides a little higher in the mud.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With 240,000 miles on my 3500 turbo diesel Dodge I've been thinking about new trucks lately. I recently stopped by the dodge boys lot here in Kingman to see what they had for sale. After almost having a coronary seeing the $62,000 price tag on a new 3500, I noticed that every new vehicle they had on the lot had a sticker adding a C note to the sticker for nitrogen. That $100 soured the whole process for me, I won't be back.....way to many dealers out there that are not stooping over to pick up nickels and dimes.....reminded me of a scam dealers in Albuquerque were pulling back in the 80's.....$250 for "paint protectant".....

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I noticed that every new vehicle they had on the lot had a sticker adding a C note to the sticker for nitrogen.
That's incredible!

I would be tempted to have one of those tires tested to see what the concentration of nitrogen really is. I can't believe that they are pulling a vacuum on every tire and refilling them with pure nitrogen.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
They are probably using Mozart 2's special blend.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I guess I am the odd one, I run nitrogen in every tire I have, cars, motorcycles, wagons and bicycles. I used one of my old welding tanks, it is about $10.00 to fill up, and will do about 6 cars. I can tell you it is better then air from my compressor. Both my Toyotas have tire pressure censors and I was always topping them up to turn the light off. After going to nitrogen they will go 2 to 3 months without needing topped up, same with my airbags on my Tacoma. In my BMW 1150 GS it does not change pressure like air does on hot days on long runs on the freeway, we get to 100+ degree days in summer. Riding a big bike two up, it does make a difference and my tires last about 1000 miles longer.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess I am the odd one, I run nitrogen in every tire I have, cars, motorcycles, wagons and bicycles. I used one of my old welding tanks, it is about $10.00 to fill up, and will do about 6 cars. I can tell you it is better then air from my compressor. Both my Toyotas have tire pressure censors and I was always topping them up to turn the light off. After going to nitrogen they will go 2 to 3 months without needing topped up, same with my airbags on my Tacoma. In my BMW 1150 GS it does not change pressure like air does on hot days on long runs on the freeway, we get to 100+ degree days in summer. Riding a big bike two up, it does make a difference and my tires last about 1000 miles longer.
Just my 2 cents.

For you it's worth it, you've got the tank and most of the equipment, and your out $10.... Whereas most places want $20-100 to change over 1 vehicle and the customer doesn't have their own source for checking their tire pressures... It can add up quick... To the point that the money you think your saving is wasted on someone supplying you with nitrogen

I want to mount a nitrogen tank to my truck for using air tools/ airing up tires, and possibly an air horn... If/when that happens I'd probably start using nitrogen myself cause it would be cheaper for me, and I'd have easy access to it ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts