TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Next Thur, Fri, Sat & Sun (May 16, 17, 18 & 19) is the Annual Jersey Devil Hunt (JDH) riding & camping in beautiful and mysterious Wharton State Park & Brendan T. Byrne State Park. HQ and all rides will originate at Turtle Run Campground in Egg Harbor City. This is a very loose sidecar event that has grown over the years attracting folks that want to and have prepared their rigs for off-road purposes. Needless to say most of them are Urals and 2-wheel drive (but not all). This is the down & dirty version of 3-Wheeling.

Some of us bring dual-sports too and last year I decided to just be a monkey (passenger) in someone else rig on the sidecar rides and rode my TW with Jersey Jeeper and my friend Luis other days.

This is tent camping (like $10.00 per night) though there are shelters and trailers you can rent cheap too. If you have a trailer or van you can sleep in, great. We have a huge open field with water and electricity nearby. Restrooms with showers are a 5 minute walk.

Last year it rained so hard I rented one of the big trailers instead of pitching my tent in the mud. It was a great couple days of riding, eating (we eat out meals), drinks and telling tales around the campfire.

Last night I threw the TW on my carrier to bring to work so my friend Robert (XT225) can bring it home to his Toy Hauler. He'll bring it and his bike down for me.

I'm bringing the TW as a "buddy-bike". I'll be hauling my XR250 and Ural on my Kendon trailer next week. Loading and packing everything else up tomorrow because I have 3 days of work hell (16-18 hour days) Sun, Mon & Tue. Plan is to leave a day earlier than everyone else so arrival on Wednesday. About 100 mile ride for me but believe me, it's worth it. Come join us for a day, days or the whole thing. Get the fence out of your butt and blow the cobwebs out of your scoot.

Here's the link to Turtle Cove: http://www.turtleruncampground.com

Last night:
IMG_1766.JPG

Looks stunning:
IMG_1767.PNG

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had planned on bringing both bikes (xr250 & TW200) and my sidecar ('07 Patrol) but I waited too long... like a few moments before I was going to leave to find out using the VersaHaul as a hitch-extender was not going to work for me. At least at the last minute.

Anyway. I did 5 incredible hours riding The Pines with my buddy Robert and his XRT225, a day before the 3-Wheeled Beasts started showing up.
Here's the first ride on Friday with the Urals:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually there are 2 forays into the woods per day. With the second being a bit more serious.
Here's is that 2nd ride on Friday:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Our 4th and final day of the JDH found us riding within the Herd of sidecars. Really a kinda Mixed Martial Arts of riding if there ever was any. My only physical calamity was when I fell and the 28 year old compression-release cable broke. Bike would not start until I finally noticed it was not moving. Set it manually and to tell the truth the bike started better without it... 1st or 2nd kick everytime:

IMG_1892.JPG

One of the main organizers of the rally was having mechanical problems with his rig at the start of the Saturday ride. I told him we'd follow him back to camp but he should ride the TW which I brought as a spare. He did fine, maybe fell 5 or 6 times in the sugar-sand which is the hardest to navigate. Dirt, water and mud no problem. He later told me it was the very first time he rode 2-wheels off-road so I was impressed. And glad the TW got a chance to go out and stretch her legs too:

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1912.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts