TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got invited by pred last night, another member here to hit the NJ Pinebarrens South End this morning but my seat foam and cover were off and I had to work.. But I kept thinking I really wanted tho go and there was no way to skip work.So I got up early worked on the seat, went to work, snuck back finished seat, went back to work! Then got oil for an oil change and still made it to the woods for a 66+ mile ride. I missed pred so I hit the nort end.

Now this isn't the wonderful Wild West most of you guys got, but it's the best we got in southern jersey, banjo country as it were! ;)

Some pics:

I was a long way out, on a ride to see the pristine lakes of the NJ Pinebarrens.
image.jpeg

Its not all strait! ;) lol
image.jpeg

The lakes are way out there but they sure are pretty and no people!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also visited the BOMARC missile base..

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
BOMARC Missile Base.. New gates!
image.jpeg

It's like a jungle! lol I'll go again but there were heavy military vehicles roaming the woods and my cloaking device was working.
image.jpeg

The End..
image.jpeg

·
Registered
742 Posts
That looks like a great riding area! It actually looks pretty similar to some of the dirt roads around here, near the Tennessee River.
I have a friend who is from that area (now lives in PA) who in his 40s had only had two vehicles in his life, and still had both: a Sportster and a 404 Unimog. He drove/rode both all over the Barrens.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like a great riding area! It actually looks pretty similar to some of the dirt roads around here, near the Tennessee River.
I have a friend who is from that area (now lives in PA) who in his 40s had only had two vehicles in his life, and still had both: a Sportster and a 404 Unimog. He drove/rode both all over the Barrens.
Unimogs are awesome. I almost bought one but the reduction gears opinion the end of the axles were full of water..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I am interested in the missile base tour.

Next time you think you want to head out there, let me know. Maye we can get some people together and make a day of it. I bet Werloc would join us. It is about a 2 hour drive for me to get there to exit 6 of the turnpike, then about another 50 min or so to the Ranger station on, I think it is 206 or 202.

If anyone from Long Island wants to come, you can meet me on the Bruckner or 95 South before the GW bridge. I'll have my 7X16 Trailer with just my TW in it so I'll have room for at least 2 more TWs.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the wild wild east has great places to ride from what I can see.:D I like it.

For some reason, I can't see your pictures in the second post, I'll have to imagine!

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, I'll try to keep it coming, everyone loves pics! ;)

Been having issues with the forum hanging loading ads, sometimes getting pics uploaded has been an issue the past few days. I think it's fixed. There are some hills down this way but the police stings for off roaders has shut lots of areas. There are "0" legal public lands unless it's a maintained dirt road. No trails at all are legal. We find a way.. It's a bad way to have to live. The give the tree huggers all they want but nothing has been set aside for us.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Been having issues with the forum hanging loading ads, sometimes getting pics uploaded has been an issue the past few days. I think it's fixed. There are some hills down this way but the police stings for off roaders has shut lots of areas. There are "0" legal public lands unless it's a maintained dirt road. No trails at all are legal. We find a way.. It's a bad way to have to live. The give the tree huggers all they want but nothing has been set aside for us.
Around here it's pure corruption that closes roads. Hunting clubs pay a lot of money to big landowners (timber and mining companies, mainly) for hunting leases, then use it as their own private kingdom. Theoretically that lease just gives them the right to hunt there during season, but what they actually do is put gates on the public (but usually not county maintained) roads and give a key to all the members, the big landowner, and anyone else who happens to own any land beyond the gate. They often clinch the deal by giving the local sheriff a free membership so he will enforce their illegal gate.
We still manage to have some great trails around here though; sometimes because there are just so many people whose primary recreational activity is offroading and the "enforcers" of some areas finally just give up on trying to keep all the holes plugged. But sometimes because someone with some clout works to keep the roads open.

There is one area near me where a private landowner owned several thousand acres. He spent his own money to gate the roads and gave keys to anyone who could prove they either owned land beyond the gates, or held a valid lease. I think he died and his heirs put the land up; anyway it came up on the market for whatever reason and a wealthy doctor bought it. This doctor thinks like us, and he took all the locks off the gates and left them open.
Some of the landowners and (especially) lease holders would like to see the gates closed again, so they can again have their own private playground. But they know the doctor would just cut the locks off and maybe drag them into court over it, so they leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
After reading your post, and then reading another one from some days ago, I learned that the PB are CLOSED? Does this mean TOTALLY closed?

If this is true, this genuinely sucks. What is also unfortunate, is I can't risk losing my bike to some impound that is hours away.

There are only expletives that I can type after this...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Its not closed
Wharton state forrest is the largest state park and they went and closed all the mud holes, There were always some closed off areas, Now there are more,
There are also tons of areas not in Wharton which I know and they are all still open,
See this thread as well,
Jersey Jeeper has been thru them for years as well as I,
http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/19823-few-hours-pine-barrens-nj-wharton-state-forest.html
Depending on the type of riding you want to do will dictate where you would go if you knew the Barrens well enough,
If you want 1/4 mile long mud holes, Well, Those seem to be closed now !
If you wonder.
There has been no appreciable damage over the past 40 years due to off roaders,
Most damage comes from cranberry growers as they will purchase some 100,000 acres, Completely level it and make bogs, That instantly takes the cedar swamps from us, A few guys in Quads and lifted ford truck stirring up million year old rotted vegetation really does nothing in comparison,
Ide like to get a ride together in the future,
Please see my post above and send me your information and we can start emailing too find the best day to get a group together !
See you all soon!
Peter B

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I've been riding in the Pine Barrens 2 times a week since March. They are cracking down on the UNregistered bikes Only. The signs they just posted Everywhere this year are VERY Missleading. As long as your bike is Plated, Insured, and your 100% street legal, you are OK to ride in the pines. Nothing has changed, just some spots closed due to damage by 4x4's, just being enforced a little more, and the new signs are Spooking everyone. I was checked 2 times this year, once in Wharton Forest and once in Brendan Byrne Forest which I ride the most. All they said was, Ok, thank you, and have a nice day. Like always, no fire cuts, private property, or protected areas. Everything else is ok which are the 800 plus miles of sand fire roads. That's just Wharton. Brendan Byrne has 300 plus miles of roads. Both forests are connected. When out riding you can't tell when going from one to the next.

Yes, I'm in for riding on the 18th. Rick called me last week about it. I'd be there riding anyway with my crew. But I'd like to see you guys again. Its been a long time. So who else is in? Al.....???? Jacky....???

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's good news, thanks for the update. You riding a TDub out there?

I've been riding in the Pine Barrens 2 times a week since March. They are cracking down on the UNregistered bikes Only. The signs they just posted Everywhere this year are VERY Missleading. As long as your bike is Plated, Insured, and your 100% street legal, you are OK to ride in the pines. Nothing had changed, just being enforced a little more, and the new signs are Spooking everyone. I was checked 2 times this year, once in Wharton Forest and once in Brendan Byrne Forest which I ride the most. All they said was, Ok, thank you, and have a nice day. Like always, no fire cuts, private property, or protected areas. Everything else is ok which are the 800 plus miles of sand fire roads. That's just Wharton. Brendan Byrne had 300 plus miles of roads. Both forests are connected. When out riding you can't tell when going from one to the next.

Yes, I'm in for riding on the 18th. Rick called me last week about it. I'd be there riding anyway with my crew. But I'd like to see you guys again. Its been a long time. So who else is in? Al.....???? Jacky....???

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm trying to work up a tour of sorts. It will take a few weeks yet. I want to connect them all with the best country roads I can because everything is disjointed.. Sorry for the late reply. I forgot to get back with you.

I am interested in the missile base tour.

Next time you think you want to head out there, let me know. Maye we can get some people together and make a day of it. I bet Werloc would join us. It is about a 2 hour drive for me to get there to exit 6 of the turnpike, then about another 50 min or so to the Ranger station on, I think it is 206 or 202.

If anyone from Long Island wants to come, you can meet me on the Bruckner or 95 South before the GW bridge. I'll have my 7X16 Trailer with just my TW in it so I'll have room for at least 2 more TWs.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've been riding in the Pine Barrens 2 times a week since March. They are cracking down on the UNregistered bikes Only. The signs they just posted Everywhere this year are VERY Missleading. As long as your bike is Plated, Insured, and your 100% street legal, you are OK to ride in the pines. Nothing has changed, just some spots closed due to damage by 4x4's, just being enforced a little more, and the new signs are Spooking everyone. I was checked 2 times this year, once in Wharton Forest and once in Brendan Byrne Forest which I ride the most. All they said was, Ok, thank you, and have a nice day. Like always, no fire cuts, private property, or protected areas. Everything else is ok which are the 800 plus miles of sand fire roads. That's just Wharton. Brendan Byrne has 300 plus miles of roads. Both forests are connected. When out riding you can't tell when going from one to the next.

Im flexible on the date, I just picked a weekend. The following weekend would work for me as well so it's up to you guys.

Bob what motorcycle are you buying next?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
A street legal 2-stroke 300. Either Beta, KTM, or Husqvarna.

Rick, if there's a group ride in the Pines within the next 3 weeks, you still want to do the 18th, or wait until then? I'm not a good tour guide in Wharton. I don't ride there much at all. I stay up in Brendan Byrne. Hit my spots, do my thing. That Atsion Ranger Station we parked at last time you can no longer park there. That whole open field area is now fenced off.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the small lot right next to the ranger still usable?

A street legal 2-stroke 300. Either Beta, KTM, or Husqvarna.

Rick, if there's a group ride in the Pines within the next 3 weeks, you still want to do the 18th, or wait until then? I'm not a good tour guide in Wharton. I don't ride there much at all. I stay up in Brendan Byrne. Hit my spots, do my thing. That Atsion Ranger Station we parked at last time you can no longer park there. That whole open field area is now fenced off.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You talking about Atsion Station? Not sure what lot you mean? I guess I could check it this weekend while out riding. Maybe post a screen shot pic of it so I know what spot your talking about.

The newly fenced off spot I am talking about is the big grass field at Atsion Ranger Station. I guess it's maybe 2 or 3 acres or so? Just like to have a spot where we can all meet and park to unload. I have a trailer and so does Smitty Blackstone (Al), Rick has a hitch carrier. The spots I park at up in Brendan Byrne are to small for more than 2 rigs. Al won't fit at all with his longer trailer. I'll talk to Al tomorrow. I didn't realize the 18th is the day before Father's Day. No big deal for me, just a reminder for you guys incase ya didn't know.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts