TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, I've tried to use the search function but am needing more. The symptoms I'm having is no charge present across the battery terminals and cannot ride the bike without it dying shortly after starting. Won't stay idling long either. I followed the manual and tested the various components in the ignition system. The rectifier/regulator seemed to pass the resistance tests. My stator seemed ok when testing ohms, but when idling and measuring between the three white wires was underperforming in the AC output. Only about 12v AC when at idle, and not a whole lot more when revved. So I figured that'd be the culprit. I got a new stator in today and nothing. Hardly any AC voltage at all between the new wires. What are my next testing steps? Or what is the likely culprit? Pickup coil? Rect/Reg? CDI?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Welcome. What year is your bike? I would suspect the RR. I always check them first before going any further. My 1993 has never had any issues with mine. The best bet would be if you could swap a RR with someone close by and check your voltage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, the bike is a 1990. I don't know any fellow riders nearby so maybe I'll just start throwing parts at it. :rolleyes: The cheapo RR is only $15 . But it looks like that maybe was already replaced by the PO. Though that doesn't tell us much. So... hmmm.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hey Andy - I’m also in Milwaukee and currently have an 89, 03, and 05. The 89 parts should match your bike and it’s running pretty well, but it’s currently not street legal. Let’s use PM to find a time for me to bring my regulator/rectifier to see if that’s the culprit. If it’s not, I’ll gladly try to help diagnose the problem. Cheers.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll end this thread by saying it was the wires to the stator. Crunched them between case and cover when I reinstalled the cover last. Repaired the wires, good to go.
That has happened to more than just you on this forum. It's not real common but, has happened. Glad you got it fixed.
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts