TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come I never get the "hello other motorcycle rider" wave or-slight two finger raise or-head nod...from Harley dudes????

I get it from others but noootttt the Harleys

Not losing sleep over it by any means but just an observation

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
BMW guys are a little snobbish too -- very seldom get a wave.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
One Harley rider is waving at you Naluboy!!

:wave:

I always wave at other riders regardless of which bike I'm on.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You'll get use to it you. Your not in the status club but not all are that way. There was an adventure ride last year in Indiana and I wasnt in it but I was taking the wife for a ride on her yellow honda reflex scooter when I seen a bunch of BMW and Ducati bikes sitting in a gas station I pulled up to talk to them. They wouldnt even make eye contact. It was way obvious that they thought we were scooter trash. So we left and I told the eife that I wish I was on the tw because it would have been fun to pass them on the gravel roads. They were definitely what I would call snobby pricks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's funny.. me and a friend were putting around last week and got the same thing. I said we might have to stay waving to scooters

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah I get pretty stoked when people regardless what they are riding wave back. I understand that maybe they didn't see me cause I was behind a car or something but some are just elitist jerks. Which bums me out cause I have a Twin V 535 Virago with a shaft drive and when I am on that I wave to EVERYONE! I suppose if the base price of your bike is over 8,000$ maybe you have the privilege of being an ass, maybe?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's a wave from a BMW rider

::hello2::hello2:

I ride all kinds of bikes and wave at everyone when not preoccupied with riding tasks. There are all kinds of people on all kinds of bikes. I'll even wave to riders on Harley's. I don't find preconceptions helpful. Sometimes people are too busy, afraid, in attentive or .......

Waving doesn't mean someone is a nice person either. You can tell a person is nice if you're on the side of the road and they stop to offer help. Surprising who offers help sometimes. :)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I get a wave about 75% of the time and even from Harley guys/gals in my area. I always wave even if they are on a scooter.....;) (my first bike was a moped)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Waving while riding? I guess I missed that in the Rules of the Road.

I wave at no one whether on motorcycle or in an automobile. Driving's too serious an activity to get into that habit.

I have seen most motorcyclists waving at each other. I figured it's some sort of fraternal thing........or maybe a cult? They have to be cool when they do it too. You can't wave like at a long lost friend. You have to do it low and to the side.

I will admit, though, that I do use an occasional hand gesture, when called for.

You guys go ahead an wave. It's okay. Just leave me out.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I was surprised when the guys from the wrench and ride went for a ride through the mountains. We passed some Harley's and they waved. Probably only because we were 9 and they were 2...and they felt intimidated by the numbers. For the most part a hanging hand acknowledgement seems to be the accepted way these days. But if it's a dangerous area to waves, a simple head gesture seems to work too (Plus you can tell if their looking your way too).

Reactions: r80rt

·
Registered
470 Posts
How come I never get the "hello other motorcycle rider" wave or-slight two finger raise or-head nod...from Harley dudes????
This is part of the beauty of the well thought out Harley wave. If you realize too late that you've given it to a lowly mo-ped rider, it is easy to drop one finger and shoot them the bird.

J/K (Not my joke, but like it)

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I was 16 I rode a Kawasaki 440 LTD and went to a Harley Ride - In at Hawthorne Nevada. It was kind of shocking to see the groups back then in 1980. I think most of the groups or Gangs then were pretty hard core , and you didn't even get a smile out of them. I decided I didn't belong there so me and my Kawasaki rode out of town and found a quiet camping spot. That night a group of Harleys descended on my " primitive " camp site. You may say they were kind of like the group that take over a place. They invited me to their campfire and showed no prejudice to a guy on a Japanese cruiser. On the next day as I was leaving, I got the wave. I guess I became an honorary Harley Rider, at least to them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I always just figured those Harley riders that didn't wave was because they had to have both hands on the handlebars just to ride the thing. It wasn't stable enough to ride with one hand!
Mel

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
I give and get a low to the side almost every time, less often when we have our week long Street of Thunder Potato-potato-potato festival . No big deal, I impart no real significance either way. It is nice to give and get recognition though. No such thing as "scooter trash" to me, give em a greet every time when safe.

Reactions: r80rt

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've ridden a Harley for 52 years and am NOT the kind of rider you guys like to make us out to be...and neither are any of my friends. A few of you here are more biased than the riders you so readily put down...much more than anyone I ride with, no matter what they ride. There's pricks on all makes of bikes that are quick to judge based on little more than what brand of bike they're sitting on. I thought the idea was to put your face in the wind and enjoy the day. So, here's one more Harley rider you can make smart assed remarks to, Mr Holier than me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've ridden a Harley for 52 years and am NOT the kind of rider you guys like to make us out to be...and neither are any of my friends. A few of you here are more biased than the riders you so readily put down...much more than anyone I ride with, no matter what they ride. There's pricks on all makes of bikes that are quick to judge based on little more than what brand of bike they're sitting on. I thought the idea was to put your face in the wind and enjoy the day. So, here's one more Harley rider you can make smart assed remarks to, Mr Holier than me.
Well said Tirebiter...but...can't speak for others here but as for me...just a simple observation that I have received no return waves from anyone on a Harley. I hope that I perhaps happened to ride by the only Harley guys that do not wave, and I will continue to wave to all makes and models as many people here have already stated that they do...because you're correct...face in wind and enjoy

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ok. Been there. Thought about it. Decided I'd rather be the rider that waves than the rider who does not. And who knows? I might someday convert a waveless rider or two to waving rider.

I'm mostly waving from a WR426 on the way to the store on a high speed highway. If they don't wave back, I'm still glad I waved. And more and more, I'm feeling bad for them that they didn't wave back.

I could not even attempt to categorize the waveless riders by brand or condition of their ride. We all ride motorcycles. There is a common thread that runs through us that does not run through the majority of mankind. Rejoice. We are brothers.

All said, didn't reach this point overnite.

PS: I receive lots of wave backs from both Harleys and BMWs.

BTW: I'm not a cool waver. I do the basic happy windshield wiper wave.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts