TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today I was almost done with clutch plates replacement and other stuff ( carb, etc) I did to TW on my friend's garage, and after setting the left cover and almost ready to start it....suddenly nothing happened.
When I have checked...no spark.

Here is the story: Some time ago my friend was having issues with this bike that - don't know exactly how was the issue- but, he needed to remove the left cover to be welded as the chain has broken it after releasing clutch ( weird, but has happened).
So he took cover apart and where they did the welding job they took stator themselves.
He brought everything back and I have assembled it, but have realized one wire was loose ( I think is ground) and on the stator itself I have found that one wire is broken.
Could this be the issue why there is no spark now?

Easy thinking is: Before he took cover apart bike was working. Connections are ok. Bike has been standing until left cover and clutch plates arrived. No jumping to battery to ruin cdi.
Just wondering ( tomorrow I will take left cover apart, if some cable is not pinched, but I remember I took care when setting back everything.

Any clues??

Khop khun kaap ( yes, im in Thailand)

Cheers,
Lisandro

Super Moderator
If you have a broken wire on the stator, I'm pretty sure it is your problem.
Hi guys,

Today I was almost done with clutch plates replacement and other stuff ( carb, etc) I did to TW on my friend's garage, and after setting the left cover and almost ready to start it....suddenly nothing happened.
When I have checked...no spark.

Here is the story: Some time ago my friend was having issues with this bike that - don't know exactly how was the issue- but, he needed to remove the left cover to be welded as the chain has broken it after releasing clutch ( weird, but has happened).
So he took cover apart and where they did the welding job they took stator themselves.
He brought everything back and I have assembled it, but have realized one wire was loose ( I think is ground) and on the stator itself I have found that one wire is broken.
Could this be the issue why there is no spark now?

Easy thinking is: Before he took cover apart bike was working. Connections are ok. Bike has been standing until left cover and clutch plates arrived. No jumping to battery to ruin cdi.
Just wondering ( tomorrow I will take left cover apart, if some cable is not pinched, but I remember I took care when setting back everything.

Any clues??

Khop khun kaap ( yes, im in Thailand)

Cheers,
Lisandro

Registered
Confirm the identity , then fix loose wire. Then check for broken or pinched wires where stator wires pass through left side cover. Confirm welding of cover has not impinged on opening those wires must pass through. Correct if neccessary.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Little Tommy.

Never did. Is it hard to fix the broken wire on stator? Or do I need to rewire?

Stator is the old one, that comes splited, not in a circle.

Same same kind as posted on pic

31614579_003.jpg

Super Moderator
Thank you Little Tommy.

View attachment 85945
I thought you meant a connecting wire. Are you saying the broken wire is on the winding itself?

Registered
Thank you Little Tommy.

View attachment 85945
To give an intelligent answer to your problem you need to Post a picture of your actual part and then the area where you think its bad. Guessing will never work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
To give an intelligent answer to your problem you need to Post a picture of your actual part and then the area where you think its bad. Guessing will never work.
You are right mate. Sorry. Was 11 pm and picture I posted is one I found on the net, trying to explain myself.
11 pm tonight again, and just checking the forum.
Will take pics tomorrow.

Super Moderator
Then it is burned out. You will need a new one. You might try going to a automotive generator/alternator shop that rebuilds them. There are still a few of these places around. They could rewind it for you. It could still end up being as much as a new one, but just an idea. Call around and inquire at a shop like this.
Yes, on the winding itself.

Registered
LittleTommy's idea of getting stator assembly re-wound by a local generator/alternator shop in Thailand is a good one. This used to be a viable, affordable option here in the USA before rising US labor costs could not compete with globalized new, or re-built parts. A good shop should also be able to increase amperage output of the stator if there is clearance for additional field windings.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
LittleTommy's idea of getting stator assembly re-wound by a local generator/alternator shop in Thailand is a good one. This used to be a viable, affordable option here in the USA before rising US labor costs could not compete with globalized new, or re-built parts. A good shop should also be able to increase amperage output of the stator if there is clearance for additional field windings.
Yes Sir. We are planning to send stator to be rewired in a shop in Bangkok.
About old days in US where you could send it to a shop for job to be done. I can completely understand you. In my country ( Argentina) used to be the same. Later was cheaper to import parts, than to produce/rebuild and this has created huge unemployment.
Globalization my friend turned China superpowerful, and this was set by westerners. Chinese and western companies with cheap labour costs just took advantage. Now that westerns countries have realized about the side part, rules want to be changed, but game is already set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts