TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
i need advice on the tw200 1995 model, the bike was running and packed for 20 minutes and failed to start afterwards, i discovered there was no spark, even after the changing the spark plug. is it the cdi problem?
when were trying to find the problem, a friend connected wrongly the battery terminals and there was a bad smell and smoke coming from near the tank. what could have been burnt? kindly give adquate advice and neccessary action i should take. the bike is not common for all the local mahanics here. thanks

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
The ignition coil is under the tank. It is possible it shorted out. I would remove tank, etc and try to find out what smelled and smoked as the first thing. There are ways to test the various parts to see what is wrong.
Download and read the Service Manual TW200 Service Manual - searchable pdf and it may help you or the mechanics.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Reagan, we try to be friendly and helpful here.
You likely have two problems: One is the no spark and whatever caused the bike to not run after being parked for 20 minutes. The other problem would be whatever got damaged by the accidental short circuit ( bad smell and smoke).
With more information we can try to be of more help.

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Hope it's a easy fix!! :D

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Has there been a write-up on how to properly jump a bike? I do know that if the jump is from a car to never have it running. I also know it is best to ground it at the frame and to make sure the cables are connected properly. Proper procedures are cheaper than replacement parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
a common problem to no spark is your kill switch. In fact that should be one of the first things you disconnect after replacing the plug. they rust together and wont allow the bike to fire. As far as the battery being hooked up wrong start with brians suggestion on the main fuse, and then start looking for burnt wires that need replaced. Most likely the fuse is blown and a ground wire is shorted out somewhere

1 - 11 of 11 Posts